PDA

View Full Version : LTR... Tech Sights, Scope, or Red Dot???

8200rpm
04-11-2011, 9:22 PM
My 10/22 is currently set up with a 4x32 Nikon. Would I be missing out by using the scope instead of aperture sights?

And, here's a wild idea. What if I use a micro red dot? After all, isn't the role of the LTR to replicate centerfire service rifles we would use at full distances? As much as I like my M1 Garand, I prefer my AR with an Aimpoint H-1.

Rock6.3
04-11-2011, 9:24 PM
My 10/22 is currently set up with a 4x32 Nikon. Would I be missing out by using the scope instead of aperture sights?

No. If you cannot see the target you cannot hit the target. Irons or optics, either will get the job done.

gorblimey
04-12-2011, 1:25 AM
I've had presbyopia for the last decade, and even I will be using irons, without corrective lenses -- that's the spirit of '76, er, '75, for ya.

Eljay
04-12-2011, 7:38 AM
I found that after doing an Appleseed with iron sights that transitioning to a red dot was trivial - no relearning needed. So I wouldn't worry about that part.

as_rocketman
04-12-2011, 9:54 PM
A 4x32 scope is just about perfect for a .22, and will work well at Appleseed. I'd leave it there.

The LTR is simply about low-cost teaching and training. You won't be missing out by using a scope (and many people need a scope). Doesn't have to be a simulacrum of a more serious rifle, although you can certainly go that route if you want.