PDA

View Full Version : WashPo: Meet White House gun policy adviser Steve Croley

trashman
04-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Interesting, if ambivalent, profile of Steve Croley in the Washington Post today (http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/over-a-barrel-meet-white-house-gun-policy-adviser-steve-croley/2011/04/04/AFt9EKND_story.html?hpid=z8).

The silence of Steve Croley, the White House’s point man on gun regulation policy, echoes the decision by Democrats to remain mute on guns as a national issue, even in the wake of the Tucson rampage. Croley’s keep-your-head-down approach is in keeping with President Obama’s preference for low-key wonks, but in this case, his reticence has more to do with political reality: Democrats have no plans for serious gun-control initiatives, and the Gabrielle Giffords tragedy, as heart-rending as it was, hasn’t changed their minds.
And how about this nugget:

One area in which Croley has shown less interest, according to several people who have spoken with him about the issue, is restricting the large-volume ammunition magazines that allowed the Tucson shooter to keep firing. When Paul Helmke, director of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, broached the subject during the March 15 gathering with Croley, officials promptly adjourned the meeting.
[emphasis added]

--Neill

sfbadger
04-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Quote: When Paul Helmke, director of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, broached the subject during the March 15 gathering with Croley, officials promptly adjourned the meeting.

As far as I'm concerned, you can't cut Paul Helmke off fast enough!

Spanky8601
04-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Interesting quote from the article.

“I just want you to know that we are working on it,” Brady recalled the president telling them. “We have to go through a few processes, but under the radar.”

Dreaded Claymore
04-11-2011, 10:56 PM

“I just want you to know that we are working on it,” Brady recalled the president telling them. “We have to go through a few processes, but under the radar.”

The President probably hates Brady just as much as we do, but for a different reason. We hate the Brady Campaign because they want to take away our guns, but President Obama hates them because they cause Democrats to lose elections. :kest:

Blackhawk556
04-11-2011, 11:12 PM
"Under the radar"That's why we need strong groups like cgf all over the national to help us stop the b.s. info the Brady bunch are planning to spread.

sfbadger
04-11-2011, 11:31 PM

I can't find this quote anywhere in this article?

sfbadger
04-11-2011, 11:33 PM
Sorry, didn't see Page #2. My bad!

mag360
04-11-2011, 11:33 PM
best news all week. thank you. forwarding this to DeLeon's office.

sfbadger
04-11-2011, 11:39 PM

They may be working under the radar but they're going to have to come up for air some time to make an announcement and then we'd better reply loud and clear!

Scott Connors
04-12-2011, 12:21 AM
Obama and Cooley are apparently being realistic insofar as our issue is concerned. They realize that any attempts to ram new anti-2A legislation through Congress is going to be a pyrrhic victory at best, but that doesn't mean they'll quit trying. Remember Lidell-Hart's strategy of the indirect approach? Cooley is an expert at administrative laws, so I expect that he and the new BATFE capo will push the envelope hard to establish some sort of de facto registry, plus tougher rules on private sales at gun shows and more regulatory restrictions on semi-auto mil lookalikes. Oh, and let's not forget that BHO will appoint every anti to the federal bench that he can sneak past us.

sfbadger
04-12-2011, 12:30 AM
Personally, I'm a bit nervous about our President's next term. He won't jeopardize his re-election chances by trying to force anti-2nd Amendment legislation on the American voting public, not yet, but after he wins re-election, ... watch out!

press1280
04-12-2011, 3:02 AM
Personally, I'm a bit nervous about our President's next term. He won't jeopardize his re-election chances by trying to force anti-2nd Amendment legislation on the American voting public, not yet, but after he wins re-election, ... watch out!

These people have long term goals-making guns accessible by only the privileged few is one of them. They're smart enough to know they can't do it through some kind of draconian ban. Look for regulation that makes owning or obtaining a gun a PITA or very expensive.

craneman
04-12-2011, 4:35 AM

There is that transperancy in government that was so highly touted during his campaign. But then again, I am not real sure that I would trust anything that Paul Helmke says. I would not be surprised if there are hidden deals, backdoor legislation that are being brewed up.

Ford8N
04-12-2011, 6:19 AM
"Guns have accounted for only a small part of his workload, and it’s an issue with which he has little experience."

Here you have a guy making gun policy at a national level and he knows nothing about guns.:shock: I bet there are members of CalGuns who know more than him.

"In Croley’s book, he argued that for all the healthy skepticism, in a complex world, regulation still amounted to “the least-worst solution to pressing social problems.” "

The social problem is crime. Gun control is just pablum for the sheep. The way to solve the crime problem is not very "pc".