View Full Version : P.J. O'Rourke on gun control

Wernher von Browning
04-11-2011, 8:57 PM
Just ran across this in P.J. O'Rourke's latest book, "Don't Vote -- It Only Encourages The Bastards."

Gun ownership is crucial to the preservation of American freedoms. We may have to shoot Democrats. It happened in 1861 and it could happen again. Just kidding. Sort of. But there are other important arguments in favor of gun ownership. What with the economy being like it is, I call my .38 special “the Mastercard of the future.”

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence has been lobbying, politically, for tougher firearms purchase and registration laws for a quarter of a century. The Brady Campaign rates states according to how tough those laws are. In 2008, Utah, Alaska, and North Dakota were involved in a tie for forty-third place. California was rated number 1. New Jersey was rated number 2. The number of murders committed with firearms in California in 2008: 1,487. The number in New Jersey: 286. Utah: 19. Alaska: 13. North Dakota: 0. Considering the number of reasons there are for shooting people, I'd say Alaska, Utah, and North Dakota need more and cheaper guns.

04-11-2011, 10:23 PM
There are two of us at work that tried Rush's and Glen's books: too simple. P.J. O'Rourke makes one think! His memory on the history about the Founding Fathers and why we have the Constitution and Bill of Rights we do matches what I remember and is logical.