PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a long-range solution

Bluhdow!
04-11-2011, 8:08 PM
I'm not really familiar with the long-range target guns, but I do know that I really want one. From what I can tell, the sky is the limit with respect to options/price/everything and I could really use some guidance.

Here are some basic parameters:

1. I would like to spend between $500-$750 (less is certainly acceptable though).
2. Ideally, the rifle would be somewhere in the middle of the pack. Nothing crazy expensive, but something reliable and a reasonably decent performer (hopefully this is possible with the price range).
3. New or used, no preference.
4. I would like to buy it scoped. I'm assuming that if I buy the scope separately I can get a better scope (or the same scope cheaper), but it would be much easier if I bought the package ready to ride.
5. I would like it to be a bolt-action rifle.
6. I need some help with the caliber. Recommendations?
7. I would like to shoot 500-750 yards.

Hopefully this narrows it down a bit. And on a side note, what's the deal with the Remington 700s? There has been quite a bit of noise in the past about safety issues and I'm not sure if that's just BS or a good reason to stay away.

Thank you for your help, very much appreciated!

CrossedRifles
04-11-2011, 8:31 PM
A Remington 700 or Tikka T3 Lite maybe?

Both pretty accurate right out of the box.

.308 Win or 30 Aught for longer ranges, more expensive though.

Scope deals and packages... :shrug:

Bluhdow!
04-11-2011, 8:37 PM
I looked at the Rem 700 and 770. I don't see the reason for the dramatic price difference between the two. They seem to offer them in the same calibers...anyone have any insight on this?

Bluhdow!
04-11-2011, 8:59 PM
111 FCXP3 - any options? Seems to be an affordable platform, scoped out of the box.

WDE91
04-11-2011, 9:51 PM
I would say take a look at the Savages
When you say a target rifle are you thinking like bench rest/F-class or Tactical rifle?

typically the combo set ups do not offer very good glass
I would suggest not going that route

I would suggest looking in the market place for a used scope that fits your needs

Do you reload?

Bluhdow!
04-11-2011, 10:15 PM
I would prefer something more tactical. And I won't be reloading.

mattmcg
04-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Do yourself a favor and give Marc a call at Spartan Rifles. He is a top notch competitor himself and builds long-range competition rifles for the Norcal NCPPRC crew out at Sacramento as well as folks across the country. He is very approachable and will take you through options, budgets, and timelines and can pretty much take you anywhere you want to go from extreme budget to high priced precision.

http://www.spartanrifles.com/

NytWolf
04-11-2011, 10:20 PM
I looked at the Rem 700 and 770. I don't see the reason for the dramatic price difference between the two. They seem to offer them in the same calibers...anyone have any insight on this?

With the 700, you're paying for the action. It is more refined. Avoid the 770 like the vague.

mattmcg
04-11-2011, 10:21 PM
And if you want cream of the crop for actions, look no further than a gun built on a Surgeon action.

WDE91
04-11-2011, 10:27 PM
well if you are not going to be reloading you are locked into what the factory's are making and the price they want to charge

for factory loads I would suggest any of the following
.223 with heavier weight bullets
.30-06

Is this rifle ever going to be in the "field"?
Do you currently have an centerfire rifles?
Are you ready for the cost of each factory round of ammo running between .50-$1.50?

Bluhdow!
04-12-2011, 7:13 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by in the "field."

I currenly have an AK so I'm used to paying .20 cents per round when I buy in bulk.

Ammo cost is a consideration for me. I'd like to be closer to .50 a round. $1.50 is unacceptable.

More than anything, I want a respectable bolt gun the will do a decent job out of the box. I won't be hunting with it, just picking off targets at a range.

jrbdad
04-12-2011, 7:43 AM
Savage 308win. they have a few models that fit you price range.

jshoebot
04-12-2011, 8:08 AM
Check out Sniper Central's package deals. www.snipercentral.com

Bluhdow!
04-12-2011, 11:34 AM
The Savage packages look decent. There are two models I like:

11 FYCXP3
111 FCXP3

Same price, looks like the difference is in twist, length, and action length.

Any commentary on the differences/advantages of these two?

Also, I've heard some negative noice about the Savages that lack the accu-trigger and accu-stock. What am I really giving up without these, and will I even notice it as a newbie to the space?

Thanks again everyone for your help. Much appreciated.