PDA

View Full Version : 700 issues... am I alone?

pontiacpratt
04-11-2011, 8:01 PM
When I fully load the internal mag with 4+1 .308 the third round always fails to be swept into the chamber with the bolt. It this a normal issue with the 700 or I'm I doing something wrong?

X-NewYawker
04-11-2011, 8:08 PM
Never heard of this. Does your box magazine hold 4+1 or 3+1?

pontiacpratt
04-11-2011, 8:18 PM
It's just the internal mag of my SPS-V 4+1. It would be the second round in the mag that is causing issue. The first,third and fourth in mag no issue. I've changed the stock.

X-NewYawker
04-11-2011, 8:30 PM
Are you short stroking that one? Sometimes the second one down has its nose pointing forward and hits against the edge of the chamber. With empty cases watch how it comes up when you slowly cycle the bolt. Also, the spring could be getting hung up on the sides of the well.

pontiacpratt
04-11-2011, 8:49 PM
Next time I'm at the range I'll check to see if I'm short stroking. I ran the bolt against an empty loaded to three. It grabbed each time.

6mmintl
04-11-2011, 9:37 PM
A few ideas:
Polish the feed lips bottom/inside and sides of receiver with the ends of a good 1/2" square medium hand stone.

File, sand/Polish/and re ramp front of magazine box to match radius/curvature of receiver feed ramp.

Grind down the two tabs on the follower in middle about .040",polish and radius all sharp edges of follower.

Radius by stoning the two 45 degree bevels/cocking cam on the rear of the bolt lugs (cams only, dont touch lug flats) to smooth bolt closing.

These mods will smooth out the feeding and restacking of rounds in the mag to chamber, and ease bolt closing.

Use a good moly grease on striker cocking cam and rear of bolt lugs..

CK_32
04-11-2011, 9:44 PM
Try bending your floor plate spring so it pushed the rear of the round a little higher than the bullet tip. So it can catch the bolt. But dont to it too much or the round will be shoved down into the magazine than the chamber.

I saw it on a AGI video on 700's