PDA

View Full Version : Eley Primer?

jackandblood
04-11-2011, 5:39 PM
Aguila boast that they use Eley primer. It seems to have some characteristics different than other stuff. Seems like its pretty potent and will use up the main propellant faster, maybe making it a higher performing short barrel rd. This is an up close pic of Aguila hypermax, Win. 555, and CCI. Note how the rim actually ruptures slightly on the Aguila Eley primer. I found this to be the case for every spent hypermax rim. All fired from same rifle. Anyone have insight on this matter?

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/3629/63168271422575754330.jpg

yelohamr
04-11-2011, 8:44 PM
What are you shooting it in? I shoot a lot of Aquila and that hasn't happened in my 10/22.

BSlacker
04-12-2011, 4:55 AM
What kind of gun?
The firing pin marks look ugly on all of them I doubt it is a 10/22. The bulge indicates that the gun bolt moved before the pressure fell to safe levels or a bolt gun with way to much headspace. Not a ammo problem IMHO. :)

Izzy43
04-12-2011, 6:48 AM
What kind of gun?
The firing pin marks look ugly on all of them I doubt it is a 10/22. The bulge indicates that the gun bolt moved before the pressure fell to safe levels or a bolt gun with way to much headspace. Not a ammo problem IMHO. :)

I agree, those firing pin strikes look deeper than any I have seen and you could be right on about the headspace issue. I would have the gun checked by a gunsmith. May be an accident waiting to happen.

I have fired just about every ammo that Aguila makes in several different rifles and a pistol and never ever saw this.

TheDeej
04-12-2011, 5:35 PM
Wouldn't the winchester and cci look similar if it was the rifle though? Or can that just be attributed to the primer/casing material of the different brands?

Izzy43
04-12-2011, 8:10 PM
Wouldn't the winchester and cci look similar if it was the rifle though? Or can that just be attributed to the primer/casing material of the different brands?

Could be what you say but look closely at the firing pin strike on the Aguila ammo. It penetrated the case of the round. It certainly should not do that. That's going to allow pressure out of the back of the round when the primer ignites the powder. Bad, Bad stuff can happen in that situation. While the Winchester and CCI cases did not bulge, the firing pin did not penetrate the case either. Its possible that the cases on the Aguila are a little thinner at the base but I still don't believe that the firing pin should be hitting that deeply into the cases of any of those ammos. I also believe that the primer could not cause this type of problem.

If I were the OP I would have the weapon checked by a gunsmith and if its OK then I would contact Aguila about their ammo.