PDA

View Full Version : Friends don't let friends buy Century

rojocorsa
04-11-2011, 6:00 PM
http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=910594&postcount=1

Man, no wonder their crap is so cheap. Anyway, I thought this was a pretty cool and informative post that someone made. Glad to see a positive resolution in the end too.

NYY
04-11-2011, 6:16 PM
nice! you may call yourself a gunsmith for the AK74 haha! great job

rojocorsa
04-11-2011, 6:17 PM
It wasn't me. Unless by "you" you meant the dude who did that.

I'm just sharing it because I had no idea that CAI was that bad.

jonnyt16
04-11-2011, 6:44 PM
Hmmm, never shot a Century AK-74, but used to own one in 7.62x39 and it shot pretty decent. I also know there are a TON of people just in these forums who love their Century AK's. I wonder if the lousy barrel problem is prevalent only in their '74 models? Or maybe he just got a lemon...?

MrPlink
04-11-2011, 6:47 PM
yikes, thats rather extreme.

My WASR does not key-hole, so no hate here.

Capt Jack
04-11-2011, 6:47 PM
Century is a perfect example of you get what you pay for. The best advise is to inspect in person before buying anything from them. You might end up with a decent gun at a good price or a piece of junk wrapped in a very large headache.

I love this pic of the typical Century Gunsmith :rofl:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa275/Gr8fuljack/CenturyTechnician.jpg

jonyg
04-11-2011, 6:48 PM
The mixed reviews on Century has me incredibly torn. On one hand I really really want their golani (cause I'm too broke to fork over more than $2000 for an IMI galil), but the reviews on the poor quality of CAI has kept me from doing so....

paul0660
04-11-2011, 6:52 PM
The guy didn't even try to send it back, so WHATEVER.

Just about everything Big 5 sells, and lots of other retailers and wholesalers, comes from Century, btw.

MrPlink
04-11-2011, 6:58 PM
:

the funny part is he is actually making an AK :D

MrPlink
04-11-2011, 6:59 PM
The mixed reviews on Century has me incredibly torn. On one hand I really really want their golani (cause I'm too broke to fork over more than $2000 for an IMI galil), but the reviews on the poor quality of CAI has kept me from doing so....

buy it in person and from a dealer you can trust. You cant go wrong that way

missiontrails
04-11-2011, 7:08 PM
buy it in person and from a dealer you can trust. You cant go wrong that way

Well, when you buy a $400 riflle that's assembled by underprivileged children, sometimes you can go wrong:)

pyro3k2
04-11-2011, 7:11 PM
Learned my lesson from the after buying my WASR, it has both a canted gas block and a canted FSP, but it still is full functional. After that my next AK was a Saiga, and the third built by TGI, i'm going to stick with Saiga's

Beatone
04-11-2011, 7:19 PM
I'd say it's a 50-50 chance a Century will work properly. I've bought AK 47's that looked and shot great. I also had one a AK 74 that was a big pain to get to shoot right. I finally gave up and sold it for a big loss. (Didn't like the key holing due to improper US barrel size).
At least Henderson will test fire a Century before it goes out,

missiontrails
04-11-2011, 7:37 PM
If I were going to add an AK, I would eliminate some of the gamble and go Saiga, or Arsenal..... I have already done the WASR experiment.... bought 2 at the same time, one was good, one was crooked as hell. Neither one could find the watermelon at 120 yards. No, it was not my shooting skills. My SKS was nuts on accurate compared to the WASR's.

VegasND
04-11-2011, 8:44 PM
I have 2 Century 5.45s -- a WASR 2 and a Tantal. I hand picked each of them at J&G. No problems, no canted sights, no keyholing.

I always advise people to look Century products over before buying. While there's no way to be sure about a barrel (the Tantal problem) until you shoot it, most of the other problems come from ordering a rifle rather than looking it over before purchase.

It is, unfortunately, not an option for most buyers in CA.

rojocorsa
04-11-2011, 9:49 PM
The guy didn't even try to send it back, so WHATEVER.

Just about everything Big 5 sells, and lots of other retailers and wholesalers, comes from Century, btw.

But the dude fixed it with a quality European CHF 5.45 barrel. G2G in that case.

The only CAI stuff in m safe is/was milsurps from WWII (which they only import, not build). Now, I wouldn't feel confident buying something built by Century. I recognize that it can be a hit or a miss--but that you have to be there to see it yourself. Not convenient for me. I'd rather buy an Arsenal AK, but that's just me.

All this being said, I would like to see more quality American AK parts makers.

NorCalK9.com
04-11-2011, 9:58 PM
Well this just sux major donkey ballz don't it! I just bought a darn WASR 10 from arlington firearms yesterday at vallejo gun show. Now I'm buggin out here my excitement is turning to dread! I think I'm gonna have to attend a build party here shortly!!!! and yes it was made by century

Sky_DiveR
04-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Yeah, Century is a 50/50 proposition. Flip a coin... see what ya get. Ya might get a prize inside. :D

rojocorsa
04-11-2011, 10:07 PM
NorCalK9, hopefully your gun won't be a lemon.

Beatone
04-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Well this just sux major donkey ballz don't it! I just bought a darn WASR 10 from arlington firearms yesterday at vallejo gun show. Now I'm buggin out here my excitement is turning to dread! I think I'm gonna have to attend a build party here shortly!!!! and yes it was made by century

Should have paid a little more and got something nice. :D

Cali-Shooter
04-11-2011, 10:21 PM
What about their Draco pistols? Those fly off the selves in CA faster than beer during happy hour, are they any better than the notoriously poorly made WASR's?

I've been considering a Draco myself. Honestly it doesn't look that bad at all.

Beatone
04-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Check out Youtube for Century guns. A lot of show and tell. Funny thing is people send their rifle (Tantals) back to be fixed and Century does nothing and sends it back. They won't change out that crappy batch of US barrels.

Beatone
04-11-2011, 10:27 PM
What about their Draco pistols? Those fly off the selves in CA faster than beer during happy hour, are they any better than the notoriously poorly made WASR's?

I've been considering a Draco myself. Honestly it doesn't look that bad at all.

It appears the Dracos are not made on the monkey line but by the real people line. I have bought three and they are great. I have to give praise when it is due. Dracos +1.

Afterburnt
04-11-2011, 10:33 PM
6 to 8 foot groups at 100 yards mkay, thats bad mkay. :eek:

Cali-Shooter
04-11-2011, 10:37 PM
It appears the Dracos are not made on the monkey line but by the real people line. I have bought three and they are great. I have to give praise when it is due. Dracos +1.

I want one :( Too many full size AK's, I got mini-me fever now :D

Beatone
04-11-2011, 10:44 PM
I want one :( Too many full size AK's, I got mini-me fever now :D

Put a tapco muzzle brake on it and watch the flame. I have one with a Krink beer can I have to test out. It will be interesting :D

arsilva32
04-11-2011, 11:19 PM
i have a draco its a sweet little gun,fun to shoot and reliable so far.

at my friends house in AZ

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/4497/dsc00068hh.jpg

SJgunguy24
04-11-2011, 11:49 PM
I'm not defending century but here's the facts. WASR's and Draco's are made in the same factory in Romania. Century opens the mag wells and installs the 922r compliance parts to make the WASR's legal for sale. That is it, if the gas block or FSB is crooked it was like that when it got here.
If you look at any of their M70 Yugo builds they are a top notch product. Quality NDS receivers, clean rivets, nice kits and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one myself.
Now their AK 74 builds were built with 556 barrels not 545 barrels. That is a major issue and is squarely the fault of whomever made the purchase and approved those to be used with those builds.

Beatone
04-12-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm not defending century but here's the facts. WASR's and Draco's are made in the same factory in Romania. Century opens the mag wells and installs the 922r compliance parts to make the WASR's legal for sale. That is it, if the gas block or FSB is crooked it was like that when it got here.
If you look at any of their M70 Yugo builds they are a top notch product. Quality NDS receivers, clean rivets, nice kits and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one myself.
Now their AK 74 builds were built with 556 barrels not 545 barrels. That is a major issue and is squarely the fault of whomever made the purchase and approved those to be used with those builds.

Yes I had one of their M70 Yugo and it was sweet. Parts were mint and it shot like an AK should. The 74 problem something someone should been fired over. No effort was made by management to correct. :mad:

rojocorsa
04-12-2011, 12:02 AM

The guy whose post I linked mentioned that whatever steel was in that POS barrel, was also very soft and the rifling was cut poorly--to add insult to injury.

Interestingly enough, "normal" Romanian AKs are sought after in Iraq. If we're gonna talk shi_ty AK clones, then the Iraqui guns are the ones to talk about. Case in point, the Al-Kadeish SVD knock off: The real SVD has a milled receiver, while the Iraqi one has a stamped steel that doesn't even have proper support. I would assume their AKs are like this too.

C.W.M.V.
04-12-2011, 12:41 AM
The tabuk series rifles are clones of Yugo weapons, and really not half bad.

Same goes for WASR's. Love mine, love every one Ive ever shot. Also love my Draco and PSL, all bearing century stamps.
Difference is that my guns were built in Romania, not in the US and not with US barrels. Will not buy a US made AK.
My next one will probably be a Century Polish model 60 milled.

MrPlink
04-12-2011, 1:33 AM
Well, when you buy a $400 riflle that's assembled by underprivileged children, sometimes you can go wrong:)

The Khyber pass happens to produce some fantastic AKs, and I will have you know they are MUCH less than 400 dollars. Thats a tourist price :D

but the only actual "american assembled" by drunken monkeys AK I would ever own would be one I built while drunk with my friends.

tujungatoes
04-12-2011, 6:42 AM
but the only actual "american assembled" by drunken monkeys AK I would ever own would be one I built while drunk with my friends.

What kind of idiot would get drunk and build ak's?:rolleyes:

ZX-10R
04-12-2011, 6:52 AM
2 WASRs (Sold one when I came to this BS state) and 1 PSL...All shoot like champs. That is hype...You know how many Century AK patterns are out there with not a problem? An AK pattern IS NOT a .5 MOA let alone a 1 MOA rifle...Great for that guy fixing his gun but out of the box most Century are fine since most are just what they were designed to do. Shoot 2-3 inches at 100yrds and inflict damage...I have an friendly open challenge for anyone to come out to SLOSA when I am out there and have their custom built AK go up against my WASR. No takers so far.

I'll pass on this but I am looking for another Century WASR (If anyone has a 1970 contact me).

timbo399
04-12-2011, 7:14 AM
I've been nothing but amazed with my WASR 10/63 I bought off a fellow Calgunner. I am not a good shot by any means and, after all I read not only about WASR's , but AK's in general, was amazed how easy it was to consistently (9 out of 10) hit the 200 yard plates at Angeles standing with no support my first time out. I understand hitting a 10" plate at 200 yards only equates to 5moa accuracy but, again, I am no precision shooter and my eye sight is horrible, I could hardly even see the target but every time I pulled the trigger I heard the positive "ding" feedback and after 8 or 9 in a row I had a huge grin on my face. Incredibly fun to shoot and the trigger (believe it has TAPCO g2 trigger) was incredibly smooth. Again, I completely understand this isn't anything to write home about, but, without ever even sighting the rifle and just setting the irons at the 200 yard notch, it was a blast to shoot and consistently hit a target I hardly could see. Who knows maybe I got lucky and got a good one. It says Made by RomArm in Romania Imported by CAI on the side. Now if only the ammo cost less than a dollar/round at Angeles I could shoot it more. Have 1,000 rounds of metallic at home but that doesn't do me any good unfortunately.

rojocorsa
04-12-2011, 8:40 AM
2 WASRs (Sold one when I came to this BS state) and 1 PSL...All shoot like champs. That is hype...You know how many Century AK patterns are out there with not a problem? An AK pattern IS NOT a .5 MOA let alone a 1 MOA rifle...Great for that guy fixing his gun but out of the box most Century are fine since most are just what they were designed to do. Shoot 2-3 inches at 100yrds and inflict damage...I have an friendly open challenge for anyone to come out to SLOSA when I am out there and have their custom built AK go up against my WASR. No takers so far.

I'll pass on this but I am looking for another Century WASR (If anyone has a 1970 contact me).

I would take you up on your challenge, if only as a "friendly." But I don't have an AK yet. :(

I've been nothing but amazed with my WASR 10/63 I bought off a fellow Calgunner. I am not a good shot by any means and, after all I read not only about WASR's , but AK's in general, was amazed how easy it was to consistently (9 out of 10) hit the 200 yard plates at Angeles standing with no support my first time out. I understand hitting a 10" plate at 200 yards only equates to 5moa accuracy but, again, I am no precision shooter and my eye sight is horrible, I could hardly even see the target but every time I pulled the trigger I heard the positive "ding" feedback and after 8 or 9 in a row I had a huge grin on my face. Incredibly fun to shoot and the trigger (believe it has TAPCO g2 trigger) was incredibly smooth. Again, I completely understand this isn't anything to write home about, but, without ever even sighting the rifle and just setting the irons at the 200 yard notch, it was a blast to shoot and consistently hit a target I hardly could see. Who knows maybe I got lucky and got a good one. It says Made by RomArm in Romania Imported by CAI on the side. Now if only the ammo cost less than a dollar/round at Angeles I could shoot it more. Have 1,000 rounds of metallic at home but that doesn't do me any good unfortunately.

Man, what kind of ammo do you use? Get thee some cheap Russian stuff so you can shoot more. I believe the modern variety isn't corrosive.

rojocorsa
04-12-2011, 8:43 AM
The tabuk series rifles are clones of Yugo weapons, and really not half bad.

Same goes for WASR's. Love mine, love every one Ive ever shot. Also love my Draco and PSL, all bearing century stamps.
Difference is that my guns were built in Romania, not in the US and not with US barrels. Will not buy a US made AK.
My next one will probably be a Century Polish model 60 milled.

I didn't mention the Tabuk because I really don't know too much about them. But the Al Kadeish and the local AKs, I've been told, suck. This was from primary accounts of soldiers and PMC dudes.

It looks like the rule of thumb for getting AKs is to not buy American, because the parts aren't up to spec.

NorCalK9.com
04-12-2011, 8:47 AM
Should have paid a little more and got something nice. :D

well bud if you woulda came to the show i.would have spent 695 made in hungary still might buy it who knows

rojocorsa
04-12-2011, 8:54 AM
well bud if you woulda came to the show i.would have spent 695 made in hungary still might buy it who knows

Like I said, hopefully you get a good WASR. If not, maybe you can take it to a build party and do what the guy in my OP post link did.

NorCalK9.com
04-12-2011, 9:25 AM
you know this really does.suck in Ca. Whn i was gonna start an ar10 build couldnt get dpms lower like i wanted now pretty much every ak i come across is usually century. I think we should all move to bf nevada

rojocorsa
04-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Look around at other FFLs in the state. For example, my local FFL can hook me up with Arsenals, or can convert a Saiga for me themselves. I'm talking about Valkyrie Arms of course.

C.W.M.V.
04-12-2011, 2:14 PM
you know this really does.suck in Ca. Whn i was gonna start an ar10 build couldnt get dpms lower like i wanted now pretty much every ak i come across is usually century. I think we should all move to bf nevada

I think that has more to do with most of them in this country period come through century arms.

If it wasn't for those guys AK's would be a lot more rare, and a lot more expensive. Century has its downs but overall Ive loved their products and their customer service has been top notch.

Super Spy
04-12-2011, 5:27 PM

I'm with you man, I sooooo want a Galil....but can't find one for a reasonable price....and I guess Vulcan (as in V-73) has it's share of critics (Haven't heard anything about the V-73) just Vulcan bashing.

Cali-Shooter
04-12-2011, 5:34 PM
I just got off the phone with Riflegear. They got a fresh batch of Dracos in, and it sounds like they won't sit on the shelves very long...

bigthaiboy
04-12-2011, 5:41 PM
WASRs and Dracos shoot fine because they are built in Romania with Romanian-made barrels.

Does anyone not remember the fiasco with the Century Tantals a year or two ago? Tantals in 5.45x39mm were keyholing because they were being built by Century with US-made .223 barrels. I'm guessing Century are back to using US .223 barrels on AK-74s now.

missiontrails
04-12-2011, 5:51 PM
6 to 8 foot groups at 100 yards mkay, thats bad mkay. :eek:

LMAO.... Someone ripped my shooting skills in another pissing match thread I started days ago when I told them that I could not even hit a watermelon at 100 yards with my WASR............

MrPlink
04-12-2011, 6:15 PM
What kind of idiot would get drunk and build ak's?:rolleyes:

lemme tell you about this magical place called Russia...

j/k
and I was kidding about drunkenly building guns.
Theres a lot of cigarette smoking in my buddies work shop, and tons of Arizona ice tea cans all over the place. We save the drinking for when we actually go shooting

jk again

Frenchie
04-12-2011, 6:57 PM
WOW, I was going to buy a Century AK-47 tomorrow. Thank God for this site. I I'll look around some more. Maybe a Saiga would be better ?.

CSACANNONEER
04-12-2011, 7:07 PM

the funny part is he is actually making an AK :D

Funniest looking AK I've ever seen.:p

Beatone
04-12-2011, 8:12 PM
WOW, I was going to buy a Century AK-47 tomorrow. Thank God for this site. I I'll look around some more. Maybe a Saiga would be better ?.

Buy an Arsenal.

Backinblack1234
04-12-2011, 8:25 PM
Henderson Defense has certified Century products and CA friendly.

Quiet
04-12-2011, 8:25 PM
When looking at a Century Arms International firearm, you need to determine if the firearm was imported by them or manufactured by them.

If it was imported by them, then chances are there will not be anything wrong with it.
Examples... Draco, WASR-2, WASR-3, WASR-10.

If it was manufactured by them from a surplus parts kit & a US made non-chrome lined barrel, then chances are there may be something wrong with it.
Examples... AK-74, GP 1975, Tantel.

Beatone
04-12-2011, 8:44 PM
When looking at a Century Arms International firearm, you need to determine if the firearm was imported by them or manufactured by them.

If it was imported by them, then chances are there will not be anything wrong with it.
Examples... Draco, WASR-2, WASR-3, WASR-10.

If it was manufactured by them from a surplus parts kit & a US made non-chrome lined barrel, then chances are there may be something wrong with it.
Examples... AK-74, GP 1975, Tantel.

I agree.

mrduke
04-12-2011, 8:59 PM
i have a century , cetme and a amd65, while ive never shot them for accurcy, ive shot them out to 200 yards or so at a coffie can, i was eather hiting it or trowing up dirt close to it, im sure i could hit , body mass easy enough at that range, i can,t talk about others century rifles , but mine shoots ok and at a good price, people put down olyipic arms ar rifles too , ive got one of them too, a k16 it shoots about an inch maybe a little over at 100 yd, maybe ive just been lucky, but i would buy century rifles agine with the exceptin of the ak74, becouse of them being made with 5.56 barrels