View Full Version : questions regarding Yukon mini osprey infrared night vision scope

11-12-2006, 2:57 PM

i got a questions for everyone. i have an oppurtunity to purchase this scope.

Yukon mini osprey infrared night vision scope model 26013 AT

do you think its worth spending 250 for the night scope?

M. Sage
11-12-2006, 3:10 PM
You'd better check and make sure it's not classified as a "sniper scope" in the PRK.

Night vision scopes are illegal here. I don't know the specifics (and can't manage to Google fu it up), so some more research is needed.

Never mind, found it. It's hard to find, since they can't spell. Searching for "sniper scope" turns up nothing, they call it a "sniperscope." Find the space bar, newbs.

A sniperscope is defined as a device made or adapted for use on a firearm that enables the
operator to detect objects during nighttime through the use of a projected infrared light
source and an electronic telescope. (Penal Code 468.)
Any person who buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or possesses a sniperscope is
guilty of a misdemeanor. This prohibition does not apply to authorized use or possession of
sniperscopes by members of the armed forces or peace officers, and does not prohibit use or
possession solely for scientific research or educational purposes. (Penal Code 468.)

Since they're selling an illuminator for these on the same page in your link, I'd say that this falls under the (poorly spelled, and idiotically named) category of an illegal "sniperscope."

Guns R Tools
11-12-2006, 7:52 PM
I would think that much like OLL, if you have your dealer outside of state diasble or remove the IR part then it should be ok for PRK.

M. Sage
11-12-2006, 7:57 PM
I don't think it needs the illuminator attached. I'm pretty sure they're banning the scope part.

11-12-2006, 8:00 PM
I don't think it needs the illuminator attached. I'm pretty sure they're banning the scope part.
No, if the night vision scope does not have an attached infared illuminator then it is not illegal.

They are banning scopes such as this.

M. Sage
11-12-2006, 8:01 PM
I stand corrected.

Not that you NEED the illuminator...