PDA

View Full Version : Volquartsen bolt 10/22 installation issue

rimfireman
04-11-2011, 2:18 PM
I'm having trouble installing the Volquartsen CNC Machined competition bolt

it simply refuses to go in and I dont want to force it in.

ive seen the install video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV_D5ThRJhY&feature=channel_video_title

but its completely unhelpful in the sense that it offers no solutions to any problems one may encounter.

I'm wondering if anyone has remedies to my situation or know of any local gunsmiths in the orange county that has an effective solution for this issue.
---

The main issue seems to be when i install or try to install the bolt it gets stuck midway about a half inch from where it needs to be to slip into place. i dont want to dremel or file anything unless i 100% have too.

cheers.

maxxlara
04-11-2011, 6:05 PM
Sorry to ask, but do you have problems putting in the old bolt?

ojisan
04-11-2011, 6:21 PM
Seems to me that I read at RFC that there is something different on the Volks bolt / recoil spring / charging handle set-up that needs to be addressed when installing.

If you get stuck, let me know.

rimfireman
04-11-2011, 7:20 PM
i have no issue installing and removing the old bolt,

i got this volquartsen bolt as a gift from a good friend of mine and i intend to use it. I was wondering if any fellow board members here had similar issues

if you watch the video you will understand how it works.
-
The main issue for me seems to be again when i first slide in the bolt there is some rail contact rail that holds the bolt in place as it cycles back and forth on the left side of the receiver where the shells eject.

I hypothesize if i files this down maybe .10 of an inch or around 20mm i can get it to fit - i rather consult other people before i go upon this endeavor.
-
I also read some new forum posts that suggest forcing it in may cause the recoil spring- bar to come loose and get stuck.

thanks for the replies /cheers

Dutch3
04-11-2011, 7:55 PM
.10 inch does not equal 20mm. Just saying.

tdaughg
04-11-2011, 8:18 PM
.10 inch does not equal 20mm. Just saying.

yeah exactly, .10" is more like 2mm not 20.

i had a similar issue installing one of the kidd bolts in my 80% 10/22. i just figured it was par for the course since it was an 80%. i ended up filing down the rear edge of the right rail(from shooters view). i never measured how much needed to come off i just filed a little then tested and repeated until it worked.

rimfireman
04-11-2011, 9:41 PM
yeah exactly, .10" is more like 2mm not 20.

i had a similar issue installing one of the kidd bolts in my 80% 10/22. i just figured it was par for the course since it was an 80%. i ended up filing down the rear edge of the right rail(from shooters view). i never measured how much needed to come off i just filed a little then tested and repeated until it worked.

typo - i was thinking of a 20mm cannon at the time

i think im going to eventually file it slowly down when it comes down to it.

i'm in no hurry to get started.

thanks for your info tdaughg, it kinda reassures me because several people suggested this as a solution.

/cheers

rimfireman
04-12-2011, 9:05 PM
anyone know of a gunsmith that specializes in 10/22s, rimfires, or anyone in general that could assist me with my problem?

/cheers

santamonica9
04-14-2011, 9:49 AM
anyone know of a gunsmith that specializes in 10/22s, rimfires, or anyone in general that could assist me with my problem?

/cheers

contact "Ojisan" his post is #3 on this thread. He is the one that make the 10/22 kit to transform your ruger to resemble a Tommy gun. Ive shot his stainless one @ ASR and it was awsome. He knows the 10/22 ruger inside & out. send him a PM, he has helped me with my 10/22 questions before. very helpfull and a great guy.

good luck & have fun :D