PDA

View Full Version : Orange County Pd's

Hogstir
04-11-2011, 2:12 PM
Got a response back from the Orange County Sheriff per my PRA request. The Sheriff has no 12050g agreements of any kind ( oral or written ) with any Police depts in Orange County to process ccw applications yet virtually all police depts are refusing to accept civilian ccw applications and refer them to the Sheriff. I know of a number who process apps for their reserve officers. This can't be legal.

Purple K
04-11-2011, 2:28 PM
No more separate but equal!

kel-tec-innovations
04-11-2011, 2:51 PM
The city of Colton in San Bernardino county is doing the same thing. I think I got a email from NRA yesterday talking about a bill that would standaize CCW laws since right now it varies from county to county and from who ever is incharge

Hogstir
04-11-2011, 3:04 PM
My understanding is that the local Police depts cannot refuse to accept ccw applications (amounts to a outright ban) unless they have a 12050g agreement with the Sheriff. However once they make such an agreement the have to send all applicants to the Sheriff including any Reserve officers. It's all or none.

sfpcservice
04-11-2011, 3:04 PM
ooohhh.... I bet somebody from the board will be along shortly on this one! :21:

CHS
04-11-2011, 4:06 PM
Whoa. This is big.

I LIKE IT! :)

wildhawker
04-11-2011, 5:31 PM
My understanding is that the local Police depts cannot refuse to accept ccw applications (amounts to a outright ban) unless they have a 12050g agreement with the Sheriff. However once they make such an agreement the have to send all applicants to the Sheriff including any Reserve officers. It's all or none.

This result mirrors that which we found in our 2010 investigation leading up to the Carry License Reform and Sunshine Initiative.

You are correct that if the Chief of Police 'declares (g)', then they must decline all applications. However, as we've mentioned in other threads, there is extraordinarily limited (to no) value in targeting PDs for reform *at this time* (unless they are otherwise shall-issue).

I urge everyone to be patient as if there is no movement in a particular arena, it's almost certainly because of a compelling strategic reason not to act (e.g. timing, forthcoming/ongoing legal action). Let our victories be robust and enduring, rather than pyrrhic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrhic_victory).

-Brandon

sfpcservice
04-11-2011, 6:50 PM
guuzfabrah..... Guuzzblahblah...... ahhh much better. Thanks Dr. Rydell!