View Full Version : YHM freefloat handguard

Vanilla Gorilla
04-11-2011, 9:44 AM
so i am thinking about getting the YHM lightweight freefloat quadrail handguard either rifle length or midlength for my AR i was just wondering what anyone thought about them they seem to be good quality from wha i have read also i was wondering how lightweight they are compared to a regular two piece drop in quadrail any help would be great

04-11-2011, 9:58 AM
They're a bit large for my liking, but the price is right.

Vanilla Gorilla
04-11-2011, 10:01 AM
They're a bit large for my liking, but the price is right.

i have never seen one in person are they bigger than a regular quadrail?

04-11-2011, 10:11 AM
They're slightly larger in diameter because they use extruded aluminum tube. That's also how they keep their cost down. Weight it's pretty standard I like mine and have three.if you have small hands and use rail guards it will feel a little fat. Best bang for your buck free float imo.

04-11-2011, 10:29 AM
I prefer MI for the price the YHM are a little chunky (that is my only gripe) but I have had a few YHM rails on several rifles and they work good. Damn good for the money, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Right now I have a 2 piece FF MI rifle length on my carbine and I really like it for the money.

04-11-2011, 10:47 AM
YHM are wider and heavier than most other FF handrails.

Free Float Comparison Chart (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ&output=html)

Vanilla Gorilla
04-11-2011, 10:59 AM
YHM are wider and heavier than most other FF handrails.

Free Float Comparison Chart (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ&output=html)

that is a good link to have i didnt know there was a chart with weights and sizes of different quad rails

HK Dave
04-11-2011, 11:07 AM
They will serve you fine. I have one and its solid. But what people say is true, they are bigger than say a Daniel Defense rail or Larue rail.

04-11-2011, 11:08 AM
I bought and installed the YHM FF LW HG a month ago. I picked up the optional end cap and YHM flip down AR sight/gas block with bayo and sling mount as well.

Install was easy, but be warned: You'll need a rig to secure the upper to apply a decent amount of torque to line the barrel nut up with the gas tube hole. I really like the anti-rotation screws, and how they deform the receiving groove (which are lined up with the gas tube holes) and stay put without thread locker.

It is on the fat side, especially with the magpul XTM rail covers. If you were to take the standard HG from AR, and add 1/2" all around to the fat end, I think that is a good estimate for the circumference. You'll need covers of some kind; the rails are good and sharp, and somewhat uncomfortable to grasp without covers.

The HG arrived without any scratches, burrs, or missing paint.

All in all, I'm happy with the price, install, and look/feel of my rifle.

04-11-2011, 4:09 PM
i switched out my rifle length MI for a midlength YHM Diamond. i like it alot better. the MI felt alot bigger around than my YHM. the rails on my MI were kinda sharp and dug into my hand. my YHM doesnt do that. its feels alot better and has smoother corners on the rails. the midlength YHM is alot heavier than the rifle length MI though, oddly.