PDA

View Full Version : Boggs Mtn Demonstration Forest Designated Shooting Range Needs Our Help

shooter777
04-10-2011, 11:07 PM
UPDATE: 12/6/2011

I spent a couple of days camping and shooting at Boggs last week and came away with some new info after running into the Forest Manager, Gerri Finn. She told me that the same folks who are pushing to get Cow Mtn. shut down are looking at Boggs next. Cow Mtn. is run by the Sheriffs and they haven't been able to get the trash problem under control. Once it is declared a hazardous waste site, it will be shut down. This could easily happen to Boggs.

On the bright side, our cleanup in June has had a lasting effect and is looking pretty darn good. Those big root balls and stumps that lined the front have all been pushed to the side. Most of the trash that we saw was mainly biodegradable clays, cans, cardboard and some filing cabinets someone left. We managed to pack out about 6 bags full of garbage this time to help out.

The Forest Manager told me that during the holidays, the range sees a lot of traffic and a lot of garbage. When I asked her if there was anything I could do, she replied that if we organized another range cleanup after the holidays that it would show people that there is a lasting commitment to keeping the place clean and open. So, I am suggesting we do another Cleanup, Shoot and Bar B Q after the new year.

What do you folks say? Maybe we can raise some money for CGF while we're at it.

Also, I'm just throwing it out there , but some of the neighbors have complained about tannerite blasts. I guess the sound travel all the way down into the valley and back up by the entrance where there is a subdivision of homes.

UPDATE @
To those who posted that they can bring a trailer, can you confirm this. It turns out that we cannot use the Forest's account at the dump and will have to pay at the disposal site/dump. No big deal. Joe told me that it is pretty cheap. If we can get a large enough trailer I bet we could consolidate all the trash in one trip. Please bring a little cash to chip in for the fees and whatnot.
Everything is in the works to have a great cleanup. Can we get a head count of who all can make it? One member PM'd me and asked for the number of volunteers.
He wants to bring a grill and some hot dogs. I will pitch in and bring some stuff to grill as well. I am really looking forward to this. If anyone has any questions for me
you can post them here or message me. Thanks Again!!!!! BTW, let's shoot for a 10 am start. Of course anyone who wants to can get out there earlier.

UPDATE!!!! WE are confirmed for SAT June 11th

How does 9 am sound?
Long Story Short-

I want to help organize a range cleanup to help save the Designated Shooting Range at Boggs Mtn. This is a great resource for Norcal shooters(approx 100 mi. from the bay area). There is great camping, mountain biking, hiking and equestrian trails. It's places like these that we need to help save.

I met the Forest Aide on Saturday. He said the range is in danger of being shut down due to the usual. There is trash everywhere. People have shot trees down. A couple truck beds would make a huge difference and maybe we could have a Shoot n Q or Gear swap while we are at it.

I want to apologize to any locals who have been keeping this place under the radar but I feel that this could be one of those times when some grass roots advocacy by us Calgunners could be a win for everyone.

When I told the Forest Aide about Calguns and range cleanups his eyes lit up. He asked that we contact him and his boss for any updates as they want to keep the place open as well.

Contact Info:

Boggs Mountain Demo. State Forest dept. of Forestry and Fire Protection
P.O. Box 839
Cobb, Ca 95426
Phone 707 928 4378

Forest Manager Gerri Finn
Forest Aide Joe Matthews( this is the nice gentleman who started this for me and gave me this info)

P.S. I have only been there twice but I want to do my part to preserve spaces like these. If anybody wants to take the reigns on this project, that is great as I don't have a lot of time during the week to call people and organize. If no one steps up I will set a date in May when I and some friends will be up there and anybody is welcome to join in our shooting fun and some good cleanup.

NapaCountyShooter
04-11-2011, 9:52 AM
I'm in to help. I've got a truck and I can wrestle up a few hand tools.

mike_the_wino
04-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Send me a PM. But I am booked through 5/21. I can get a truck, rack, shovel,...you know, standard stuff.

Rigma
04-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Make a date after 5/1 and give me some time to put in for vacation...and my summer plans begin!

BigDogatPlay
04-12-2011, 2:26 PM
This is good outreach by the OP..... well done!!!!

Pick a date in May and I'll do my best to be there, pick up, tools, gloves, camera and all. I'm out of town on vacation 5/13 - 5/23, but otherwise I can make time on a weekend.

ElvenSoul
04-13-2011, 9:10 AM
Bump for a good cause..I'm stuck on East Coast for awhile.

JoeFaz
04-14-2011, 11:44 AM
If I can get away, I will join in with my Ranger pick-up. Is there a county dump site near by? Also, it would probably help if I knew how to get there, LOL!

gatesbox
04-14-2011, 7:52 PM
I've been wanting to get in on a clean up and meet some more Calgunners, let me know what comes up, Saturdays work best for me, no truck but can bring rakes and shovels and Manuel labor.

NotEnoughGuns
04-14-2011, 8:03 PM
I've been up there a couple of times it's not a real big range but is a nice resource to have in the area. I'll probably be down for a clean & shoot, keep us updated. the first week or two in May is best for me.

orchard
04-21-2011, 5:04 PM
I'll try to join in as well, sent email to see if this group is still active:
Friends of Boggs Mountain

They were doing trail work, etc.

rooster85
04-21-2011, 7:33 PM
I used to shoot there all the time when i lived in middletown full time. Cant tell ya how many times we cleaned that range up only to go back and find more washing machines than a damn laundry mat. When you get a date, let me know, im sure my family would enjoy the visit.

Swiss
04-23-2011, 4:04 PM
Might be able to make it up there in May or June. No truck, just a couple hands. As other's have said, post a date

orchard
04-23-2011, 5:17 PM
Additional information, possible help.

Thanks Larry!
Once we get our new website set up so we can schedule and post a cleanup of the shooting range I'll get back to you.
Meanwhile, Calfire Forest Aide Joe Matthews is giving shooters he comes across plastic bags for cleaning up their addition as well as some of the other debris there.
Seems to be helping somewhat.

Boone

friendsofboggsmountain@earthlink.net

fuzz415
04-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Id be down for a shoot n que n clean. give me some advance notice. Prefer weekend. I should be able to coerce a few extra pair of hands and, maybe a pickup.

robertlo99
04-25-2011, 6:43 PM
I'm in if it's organized in June

TAS
04-25-2011, 7:51 PM
I might be able to join in on a weekend too, with a truck and tools. Let me know when you post a date and I'll see if I can make it. I've got a couple weekends booked but I'll certainly do what I can.

mrgrizzly
04-25-2011, 9:51 PM
finally some other people to help out to keep the place clean . me and 3 other friends would spend 3 to 4 hr .every 3 weeks to clean bogs .i went to cow moutan the other day on a exploring trip and im happy to say that bogs have never been that bad . well i got another week on turkey hunting after that i can come up in my f150 to continue to help out .

rooster85
04-26-2011, 7:19 AM
finally some other people to help out to keep the place clean . me and 3 other friends would spend 3 to 4 hr .every 3 weeks to clean bogs .i went to cow moutan the other day on a exploring trip and im happy to say that bogs have never been that bad . well i got another week on turkey hunting after that i can come up in my f150 to continue to help out .

Cow mountain has always been torn up, lotta kids party up there and just trash that area, kinda like boggs used to be....

WReyth
04-26-2011, 2:02 PM
I told a friend who took us out there a couple of years ago, he's willing to join a cleanup too. June or later would work best for us.

Purple K
04-30-2011, 5:39 PM
Let's set a date!

shooter777
05-02-2011, 1:59 AM
Ok, Calgunners
I am going to set our range cleanup day(RCD) for Saturday May 21st. I will most likely drive up Friday and camp/shoot. I commit to bringing my truck and tools. I will be calling the aforementioned employees to notify them of our presence and intentions. I name-dropped Calguns initially and would like to continue to advocate our group in a conservation light. Mods, let me know if that is OK.

Guys and gals, I will be camping close to the entrance in one of the designated campsites(There are only two areas, and the first is right close to the entrance, maybe a mile). I forget the name of the camp area but there is a pit toilet.

I am excited. This will be fun. Let's bring BBQ stuff, plenty of water, trash bags and other necessities. I definitely plan on shooting. This isn't purely humanitarian. Let's have fun.

If anyone has access to extras like hard rakes or nail pups(for those steel cased shells), shovels, gloves and ......screw it, bring everything you think will help....

Whadaya think, huh?

BigDogatPlay
05-02-2011, 5:43 AM
Sadly I'll be in Alaska. I'll see if I can get a couple others from here in Sonoma County to head up.

NotEnoughGuns
05-03-2011, 7:51 PM
Sounds like the one weekend I was hoping wouldn't get chosen.

SAUCE
05-03-2011, 9:59 PM
Sounds like a great way to help out and meet some fellow Calgunners. I'll check my on schedule and get back to you. I've never been out there. How bad is it? Would a trailer help?

shooter777
05-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Does anyone know if there is a dump facility out that way? If there is, then maybe a trailer would be a good idea seeing as how we could use the one trailer and chip in on the fees. I will contact the folks I talked to that work there and see if they have any ideas for trash removal/disposal. I'll bring a wheelbarrow too.
The place has trash spread over a large area, not just concentrated in one area. For all those that can't make it, why don't we do it again in a couple months? Heck, i wish i could go out there weekly. My little crew hauled out about 5 large trash bags last time

WReyth
05-04-2011, 9:13 AM
I'd be interested in July/Aug cleanup, following thread

a1c
05-04-2011, 12:15 PM
I used to go there regularly and bring a bucket and a lawn rake but haven't since the fall.

The wife has the Jeep, so no-go for me until she gets back, but I'm planning on going sometime next week, probably Thursday or Friday morning.

If I see one of the rangers (they often come by to check in), I'll do my best to reassure him that we'll be taking care of the place.

I feel ashamed that so many locals treat the place so poorly. I think we need to put a sign up instructing shooters they should pick up brass, shotshells, and stop bringing their ****ing TVs to shoot at. I've seen idiots bring their broken-down stereos and speakers to serve as targets. What a bunch of white trash dumbasses.

I'll try to find the time to work on a sign. I'm not going to ask permission to the rangers - it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. I wish they would also put a trash can over there, that would make things easier.

SAUCE
05-05-2011, 6:19 AM
I'll be on call that weekend. Really would like to help. Definetly interested if there's any plans for clean up the following month.

spotfire
05-05-2011, 8:47 PM
Great work guys! Boggs is a gem, and not just for the range. The state forest rangers are great and want the forest used by the public, but they are overworked and underfunded. Any help we can give would be great. I can't make it the 21st, but I pick stuff up out of Boggs everytime I go. BTW it's one of the best mountain biking places around, if you're into that.

shooter777
05-06-2011, 11:06 AM
RANGE CLEANUP UPDATE

I just got off the phone with the Forrest Aide, Joe Matthews. Again , he was excited and grateful for our interest in helping keep the place open. He informed me that May 21st is an extremely busy day for the forest. They host mtn. bike and equestrian events there as well. He told me that the NRA even has a class out there soon.

Anyway, he is proposing the date of Saturday June, 11. I want to put this out there because I know a lot of people are very busy this time of year. He also said that May 28th wouldn't be bad but that is Memorial Day weekend so that could be problematic.

As for trash disposal, there is a landfill 1/2 hr away in Clear Lake.
Let me know what you guys think?
Thanks
David

p_shooter
05-06-2011, 3:49 PM
It's far for me, but I'd like to get involved in something like this. Maybe I can talk my shooting buddy into an over-nighter and we can head up. I have a truck and tools.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and my calendar open.

BigDogatPlay
05-06-2011, 6:38 PM
June 11 should work for me. Pencil me in.

707electrician
05-06-2011, 6:52 PM
Im in depending on the date. I can bring my diesel and I will try to find a trailer as well

NotEnoughGuns
05-06-2011, 7:56 PM
If the FS is proposing June 11th I say we go for that date since I should be available. May 21st probably not for me.

I don't have a truck but can bring garbage bags and my laboring hands, and of corse some toys.

NotEnoughGuns
05-06-2011, 7:58 PM
I think we need to put a sign up instructing shooters they should pick up brass, shotshells, and stop bringing their ****ing TVs to shoot at.

You do know what will happen to said sign right?
:13:

a1c
05-07-2011, 9:18 PM
You do know what will happen to said sign right?
:13:

Yeah, I know... Well, I'm glad some Calgunners got in touch with the FS guys. Maybe they will restore their faith in shooters. I'll still go there sometime next week to do some cleanup and shooting.

mike_the_wino
05-09-2011, 3:32 PM
June 11 might be good for me. Too much driving these last couple of weeks,the missus and I were planning on staying home this weekend.. I sure could use some time to catch up around the house.

And I would be willing to contribute to dump fees if someone is running that stuff up to Clear Lake.

FinalStar
05-17-2011, 3:14 PM
baring any complications my group that usually goes shooting up there will be joining for the clean up. Hopefully should be 5 people, 1 or 2 trucks.

zin
05-17-2011, 7:12 PM
Count me in for June 11th. I've been to Boggs - great resouces and fun place to shoot. I have a truck and know where he dump is located. Would like to me some fellow Calguners.

Purple K
05-23-2011, 11:51 PM
Sadly I'll be at work unless I can do a shift trade.

445cat
05-30-2011, 11:46 AM
I can be there at 10. Coming from SR makes it a trip but a buddy lives not 8 minutes from the range. I'll have a truck, a shovel, and a few toys. I can prolly rustle my buddy into going and he knows all you need about the area. I go there often with him and would love to give back. So count me in and if the OP can give me a head count, I can bring a Q and some nathans dogs!

shooter777
06-03-2011, 3:52 PM
See my first post for an update and post here with your head count
Thanks. Let's make it for 10 am

jameshenry
06-03-2011, 10:23 PM
I'll be there, 10am. I can find Boggs, how hard is it find the shooting area? Leaving Fairfield around 8:30. I'm in a Durango, anybody need a ride?

shooter777
06-05-2011, 9:53 AM
If you pick up one of the maps at the front gate area, it will tell you how to get there. It's not hard but you have to pay attention to the road marker posts at junctions. Btw, I spoke to the Forest Aide, Joe, yesterday and he told me that there will be signage posted to let people know about the event. That way no one can cry and moan that we are hogging the shooting range

jameshenry
06-05-2011, 1:18 PM
A early post said the signs would make good targets. I have nail magnets and will bring 2 quarts of Raley's fine potato salad, plates ,napkins, and of course some extra .223 (Miwall reloads for a laugh, its easy to blame this ammo.) Will get a map at front gate.

mwc
06-05-2011, 1:23 PM
Thanks for what you're doing, guys. Not able to make it this time, hopefully count me in the for next one up there. Visited Boggs for the first time last week, pretty cool place.

Thanks again
Matt

kfxrider90
06-05-2011, 7:56 PM
Hmmm...interesting I literally live next to Boggs and go up to the range about every month or so.

The place used to be a secret (I've been going there for about 17yrs) and you could go an entire day without anyone being up there besides yourself. Now every time I go no matter the time of the day there are drunken idiots out there. I'm a local and all the locals I know actually do take care of the place, but it's the out of towners who have destroyed the place. About a month ago I saw a group of skin heads blasting away at a tree with a 12ga from 5 ft away. It sickens me as this is my backyard.

I was told by one of the employees that if you see this kind of action to please write down the idiots license plate and give it to them at the office.

707electrician
06-05-2011, 8:23 PM
I wish this wasn't planned for the weekend of the 200/300/600yd match at sac valley. I guess I will join in on the next one

445cat
06-06-2011, 3:21 PM
I'm the one bringing the grill if we use it. Maybe someone can bring a rangefinder to help me with iron sighting-in my first build and set up a couple designated ranged targets? From what it looks like we have 5 coming? Please respond to the OP for an official headcount. We WILL need to grab a camping spot to use the grill...If you'll be hungry, you HAVE to let me know you're coming, Thanks Everybody!!!

shooter777
06-08-2011, 2:51 PM
I think we will have more than 5 people show up for sure, but even with 5 we can make quite a difference. I look forward to getting in a good cleanup and meeting some fellow Calgunners.
See you out there!

445cat
06-08-2011, 3:05 PM
Definitely! I got my buddy who lives down the street coming, he says locals always try to take care of the place, but I think we'll have to show them that not just locals care ;)
See you at Boggs!

HUND
06-08-2011, 6:20 PM
I have a place in Cobb and shoot at Boggs just about every time I'm up there.

I have raked up, baged up and hauled out a fair amount of junk ...

I will be up there this weekend stacking a cord of wood at the cabin.

I'm sure I can get up there for a little clean up.. I will be on a green klr 650

Just to be clear .... It's this Sat ?

UPDATE!!!! WE are confirmed for SAT June 11th
Ok it's on .... see ya there

Octane
06-08-2011, 7:05 PM
I'm glad you guys are doing this. I would be there to help too if I wasn't working this weekend. Please post pics before/after!

-Brad

FinalStar
06-08-2011, 8:40 PM
Alright, I should be bringing 5-7 people with me and my large red Ram 1500.

I will also be bringing my camera to document the clean up

mike_the_wino
06-08-2011, 9:09 PM
Never been to Boggs but willing to come up. Couple of questions:
-Are we shooting as well as cleaning?
-I see BBQ mentioned. Are we cleaning, shooting and eating or some combination of those three?

shooter777
06-08-2011, 9:32 PM
Never been to Boggs but willing to come up. Couple of questions:
-Are we shooting as well as cleaning?
-I see BBQ mentioned. Are we cleaning, shooting and eating or some combination of those three?

Mike, we are gonna try and do it all. I know at least one guy is bringing a grill. I will have a small grill as well. It sounds like a good time.

Anybody with a chainsaw? It might come in handy...

HUND
06-09-2011, 3:27 PM
With this many folks it should take no time at all to clean that place up

jameshenry
06-10-2011, 12:36 PM
I'm bringing potato,macraroni salad and cole slaw and plates and forks for 14 people. After 14 you gonna hafta use your right hand.

FinalStar
06-10-2011, 6:45 PM
I just wanted to let you guys know that my group of 6 or so people are going to get there a little late. No one wants to wake up early enough to get there from Fairfield by 10am. Hopefully we are still needed by the time we get there

Joe Mathews
06-11-2011, 11:53 AM
The Boggs Mountain Demonstration State Forest staff wish to extend our sincere gratitude for the fine efforts of all who participated in the Saturday June 11 target shooting area clean-up at the forest. In particular, thanks to Cal Guns member David Garcia for organizing and facilitating the event. As you know, areas where the public are allowed to shoot are disappearing fast. Don't think for a minute that our site is not at risk for closure, because it is. We all want to prevent this from happening, so please be vigilant in helping to pick up the slack for the "slackers", regardless of where you shoot. Efforts like this one will go a long way towards ensuring public access into the future. Thank you again and we look forward to your continued participation.

hangman7
06-11-2011, 1:21 PM
Boggs Shooting Area Cleanup

HUND
06-11-2011, 2:22 PM
Got there at 9:15 and picked up trash till about 11:00...

Had to get back to Napa or I would of stuck around longer and did some shooting.

Looks good !
I will be back up there next weekend to break in my new Ruger 10/22

HUND
06-11-2011, 7:24 PM
No more reports ?

Maybe they are still up there BBQ'n and blasting away

shooter777
06-11-2011, 8:39 PM
Well I think we slam dunked that one. It was great to meet some fellow Calgunners and take care of business. Let's just say we went out with a bang. Check back here for the Tannerite guys' videos and photos.

FinalStar
06-12-2011, 9:55 AM
Oh yah, I think the clean up wel very well. It was great to meet new people. As promised here are a few pictures I took, and the videos of the bangs

Photos Of The Clean up (https://picasaweb.google.com/michael.schreiber1/BoggsMtRangeCleanup?authkey=Gv1sRgCKiNs5uDxZL_VA)

Tire Goes Flying (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QayfDCZPdS8?hd=1)

Tire Almost Gets Blown Up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kghCOc6rK1s?hd=1)

Tire Finally Fails (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTDZyrdSy0k?hd=1)

I will add more photos today when my friend Josh gets them uploaded

HUND
06-12-2011, 2:55 PM
My tire ! What did you do to my tire !!:eek:

jameshenry
06-12-2011, 7:14 PM
Great shots, good food, hard work, great Calgunners. Did that red truck take a wrong turn on the way home? I found all the tourist traffic in Calistoga.

FinalStar
06-12-2011, 10:20 PM
thats my truck. what do you mean wrong turn?

jameshenry
06-13-2011, 12:43 PM
I thought I saw your red truck take a right turn towards Santa Rosa near middletown. It might just be my early dementia kicking in. Grate photos/videos, I had a good time.
James

BigDogatPlay
06-13-2011, 1:15 PM
Sorry I didn't make it up. I have a dog who is close to the end and he took my weekend over at the last minute. I plan to be up there within the next week or two for additional "remediation".

Thanks to everyone who did make it up and for getting a new, positive light on our sport with CalFIRE.

kfxrider90
06-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Went up there Sunday night to teach my gf to shoot a .22. She had a blast. Good job guys. We also brought a trash bag and filled it up with junk when we left.

JoeFaz
06-22-2011, 12:20 PM
Nice job, all. I was only there once a couple years ago, but man, it looks like a different place. If and when I get up there again, you can be sure I'll have my rake, bags and truck to haul out what I can.
By the way, what did you use to blow up that tire?
Thanks to all who provided the labor!

FinalStar
06-27-2011, 9:09 AM
We used a substance known as Tannerite to blow it up. Its fun stuff. You have to shoot it with a gun to make it blow up.

shooter777
12-06-2011, 1:23 PM
BTT- See newest update in first post

BigDogatPlay
12-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Is there a January date in mind? Don't see that in the OP.

shooter777
12-27-2011, 4:51 PM
You know, I was just up there last week and the place is looking pretty good. It seems that people are being more respectful of the resource. However, it would be a good show of force to go up there and keep it looking great. Of course, we could do some shooting and BBQing too. I was thinking either Jan or Feb. Any suggestions would be appreciated

bkpowder
01-13-2012, 4:27 PM
Hi, I joined Calguns just to post this note. I live in Cobb, 10 minutes from Boggs, and I've been shooting there for the past 30 years. It's always been a hidden away spot where locals shoot on weekends. During the past year the place has exploded with shooters from all over the north state. I know this is public land and doesn't belong to the locals but I have to say that the place has become an out-of-control zoo. I was there 3 weeks ago and there were 12 cars parked side by side and probably 30 shooters on this tiny range.

Based on your blog, it looks like you have a lot of responsible people in your group and we particularly appreciate the clean up. That said, the publicity you have provided has pretty much opened the gates of hell to our small community. You can now show up on any weekend to see people from Sacramento or the Bay area with several cases of beer and a car full of guns. These people have no concept of manners or gun safety. Here are some examples: After agreeing to a "range closed" with shooters in order to set up new targets, a couple of drunks decided to start shooting clays with a shotgun while my son was up range. On another day a bunch of guys skidded to a stop at the range, jumped out and started firing pistols in the general direction of the target area. And finally, my son witnessed two families with drunk husbands who apparently arrived just to try out their homemade (2-inch diameter) pipe bombs. They did set them off, but don't worry, they all got in their cars ~50 feet away after they lit the fuses so that they wouldn't get hurt by the shrapnel. Unbelievably, they weren't hurt. I have no problem with pot or beer, but now it's common among some of the shooters. I would now classify this site as a very dangerous place to go considering the large number f untrained, under-the-influence people who now go there to shoot.

According to the local ranger, an old friend, the site is becomming a law enforcement problem. My guess is that the problem will soon go away for all of us and the site will be closed down. Clearly, the purpose of a blog is to communicate with huge numbers of people and this blog has obviously been very successful. But I have to ask, what did you think would happen to this small range once you made it public knowledge to thousands of people? My pretty good guess is that every small range you discover and post on your blog will end up being closed.

It is too late for us, but I would suggest that in the future you tell trusted friends about these sites personally. As we all know, there is a significant percentage of people who participate in our hobby that are morons who can hardly wait to get their hands on a gun and can't be bothered with learning gun safety, and have no concept of manners.

shooter777
02-02-2012, 1:00 PM
Boggs Mountain vs. Calguns
Hi, I joined Calguns just to post this note. I live in Cobb, 10 minutes from Boggs, and I've been shooting there for the past 30 years. It's always been a hidden away spot where locals shoot on weekends. During the past year the place has exploded with shooters from all over the north state. I know this is public land and doesn't belong to the locals but I have to say that the place has become an out-of-control zoo. I was there 3 weeks ago and there were 12 cars parked side by side and probably 30 shooters on this tiny range.

Based on your blog, it looks like you have a lot of responsible people in your group and we particularly appreciate the clean up. That said, the publicity you have provided has pretty much opened the gates of hell to our small community. You can now show up on any weekend to see people from Sacramento or the Bay area with several cases of beer and a car full of guns. These people have no concept of manners or gun safety. Here are some examples: After agreeing to a "range closed" with shooters in order to set up new targets, a couple of drunks decided to start shooting clays with a shotgun while my son was up range. On another day a bunch of guys skidded to a stop at the range, jumped out and started firing pistols in the general direction of the target area. And finally, my son witnessed two families with drunk husbands who apparently arrived just to try out their homemade (2-inch diameter) pipe bombs. They did set them off, but don't worry, they all got in their cars ~50 feet away after they lit the fuses so that they wouldn't get hurt by the shrapnel. Unbelievably, they weren't hurt. I have no problem with pot or beer, but now it's common among some of the shooters. I would now classify this site as a very dangerous place to go considering the large number f untrained, under-the-influence people who now go there to shoot.

According to the local ranger, an old friend, the site is becomming a law enforcement problem. My guess is that the problem will soon go away for all of us and the site will be closed down. Clearly, the purpose of a blog is to communicate with huge numbers of people and this blog has obviously been very successful. But I have to ask, what did you think would happen to this small range once you made it public knowledge to thousands of people? My pretty good guess is that every small range you discover and post on your blog will end up being closed.

It is too late for us, but I would suggest that in the future you tell trusted friends about these sites personally. As we all know, there is a significant percentage of people who participate in our hobby that are morons who can hardly wait to get their hands on a gun and can't be bothered with learning gun safety, and have no concept of manners.

BKPOWDER, let me start off by apologizing for any unwanted attention to the shooting range that our actions may have caused. However, I have personally spoken with the Forest Aide and the Forest Manager a couple of times and they have always been thankful for Calgunners' interest in keeping this place clean. I also suspect that many of the yahoos that you are describing are not CGer's and are probably illiterate neighbors of the place.

There are a lot of new shooters to the sport and a lot of idiots in this world. That is a fact. Sometimes the two meet and you have unfortunate events.

I know for a fact that the range at Cobb Mt. is in trouble of being shut down due to trash and bozos. That's why we are involved in keeping Boggs clean. Obviously, there was a problem otherwise we wouldn't be doing this. I suggest you get involved with the Calfire people and organize more cleanups.

There is a lot of doom and gloom in your post and I just don't see the need for it. Boggs will continue to be open as long as people like you and I are willing to go out there and do some upkeep. I've been out there four times in the last two months and while it's gotten a little messier over the holidays, it looks dramatically better than it did 9 months ago.

IMHO, Calguns isn't the problem. Uneducated firearms owners are! The pipe bomb thing is ridiculous and the Sheriff should have been called if they were endangering others. MY $0.02

P.S. BKPOWDER, you asked me what I thought would happen when I originally posted this. Let me start off by saying that this whole thing came about after a revealing discussion with one of the two people I mentioned earlier(rangers) who are possibly your friends. I was told point blank that if actions were not taken by the shooting community to keep the place clean, that it would be shut down. The only reason I posted this last year was to try and save the place. There were definitely some unintended consequences as you have pointed out.

As I see it, we have to remain vigilant to keep our public lands open. If that means cleaning up garbage, then so be. Again, I am sorry for bringing more attention to the shooting range. The consequences of no attention is a shut down. Too much attention= Shut down. It's a catch 22.

jc545f
05-31-2012, 7:21 AM
I'm local to lake County, and have gone up to Boggs to shoot once, and it was my last time going up there. There is a complete and total lack of enforcement, and presence by the park rangers. The obligation to enforce laws at the shooting range as well as the park lies solely on the park rangers. Most of this trash and fire arms safety violation could be curbed with the simple presence of an officer.

As someone who frequents the park for use of it's other facilities, such as hiking and biking, we all appreciate your efforts to help clean this place up, but for the Park Staff to state "another range cleanup after the holidays that it would show people that there is a lasting commitment to keeping the place clean and open" makes me curious as to why they have had this problem for so long to get to this point without other measures being taken.

Also, as someone who frequents Cow Mountain (for business) on a regular basis, I can confirm (with pictures) that Cow Mountain is a thousand times worse than Boggs. Just the shooting range looks like a war zone. The shooting range is so far up the hill, that some people can't wait to get to the range and will pull over and start setting up range on the side of the road. I've had guns pointed at me numerous times as I traveled the road, which is not what I like to call a good time, or use of my undies. Again, another issue where law enforcement presence and action would slow this down to a manageable level. On my visits to the Cow Mountain (North Cow Mountain) Recreation Area, I've seen the
Ranger (BLM Law enforcement) once in 4 years.

in Summary, BLM and California Park Rangers need to step up enforcement at these parks an dgo after these people that are screwing it up for the rest of us. But tasking us (as tax payers) with the clean up of things that they are responsible to stop in the first place, makes me unhappy.

clb
05-31-2012, 8:20 PM
I'm in.

rooster85
06-01-2012, 11:41 AM
I feel ashamed that so many locals treat the place so poorly. I think we need to put a sign up instructing shooters they should pick up brass, shotshells, and stop bringing their ****ing TVs to shoot at. I've seen idiots bring their broken-down stereos and speakers to serve as targets. What a bunch of white trash dumbasses.

I'll try to find the time to work on a sign. I'm not going to ask permission to the rangers - it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. I wish they would also put a trash can over there, that would make things easier.[/QUOTE]

All real solid ideas but the reality is that people would see the sign and the trash can and use them as targets. Its been quite some time since my last visit to Boggs so i dont know how bad or clean it is now. If im in the area then i'll hep out.

Eat Dirt
06-04-2012, 9:03 PM
Do you guys up there need something like this ::

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f365/eatdirt76/013-2.jpg

I have used them out in Bee Canyon / The area I have clean_ups in
and they Work ........... 2 weeks and still there !!
The new ones say " this area cleaned by Cal-Guns "

Let me know if you want a few
Only pay for postage ................

bobomb
06-15-2012, 9:47 AM
i went up there i often go to cow but when i take a garbage bag of trash home from there it doesnt look like i did anything but here i take home a couple small bags and the place looks great (shotgun shells look horrible so i do my best to get all i can)

i found this little sight am wondering if anybody lost it or what it goes to it mounts to a little dovetail not much bigger than a shotgun rib

http://s18.postimage.org/p7wy0n5md/P06_14_12_17_42.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/p7wy0n5md/)

i cant believe the jerks shot the sign i thought this place was free of those types

http://s19.postimage.org/hy0hjkxgf/P06_14_12_12_46.jpg[/url]

http://s19.postimage.org/cnvisad7j/P06_14_12_12_47.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/cnvisad7j/)

http://s19.postimage.org/deo8y2fkv/P06_14_12_12_47_1.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/deo8y2fkv/)

astyles
08-13-2012, 12:52 PM
My wife and I are willing to go to boggs for a clean-uo day when ever there is one. Everytime we go we bring back more than we take in,but we only have a small car (a yellow Mitsubishi lancer oz) so we cant get much in there.

pantera52
08-18-2012, 5:29 PM
We will be up there next weekend to shoot and clean up. Any word on camp fire restrictions or shooting restrictions due to the recent fires in the region?