View Full Version : Handgun Inheritance From Grandfather

04-10-2011, 9:24 PM
Recently my grandfather passed away and left me, his grandson, his .38 revolver. He bought it here in California back in 1980 but moved to Washington state where he died. What all do I need to do to transfer the gun to me?
Thanks in advance for the help.

04-10-2011, 9:28 PM
Fill out the Ca DOJ Intra-Family transfer form and send completed form and check for $19 to the DOJ.


04-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Some questions:

Where is the firearm now?

Is there an actual will involved?

Was the firearm actually "willed" to you, or was it just something it was "said" he wanted you to have?

04-11-2011, 11:22 AM
condolences on the loss of your Grandfather & good luck

04-11-2011, 11:32 AM
The firearm is currently in Washington State, and it was left to me in his actual will.

04-11-2011, 11:48 AM
No problem. Feds exempt inheritance from using FFL, and CA exempts inheritance from using FFL, so take the handgun, file the OPLAW form and $19, and you're all set.

04-11-2011, 1:36 PM
You can take the gun home with you if/when you visit up there, or a family member (or other executor of the estate) can ship it to you (must be fedex/ups and must ship overnight declared as a handgun) here in CA.

Then just fill out the oplaw form.

When you fill out the oplaw form and it asks how you got the gun, you'll just put "inheritance".