PDA

View Full Version : Sentry safes - rant

Satex
11-11-2006, 6:32 PM
Well, I have had this small Sentry fire safe for a year or two. Last night my wife complained it was difficult to shut the door.
I took a look at it, and somehow the hinge gave and bent. I really don't get it. I just spent a good hour with some good light trying to understand what happend and I still can't see how it happened. We don't lean on it - and in regular use - the door is opened, and a minute later shut. So there is no opportunity for it to experience an external force.

socalsteve
11-15-2006, 4:10 PM
Did you ever figure out how this could happen?

These are made in China I wonder if they used softer metal than the contract called for?

bwiese
11-15-2006, 4:42 PM
Youse gets what youse pays for...

F***n' China.

Spend some dough and do it right.

Satex
11-16-2006, 10:11 AM
Well, I inspected it very closely and still could not figure out how it happened.

But here is how I fixed it. I took everything out, and then flipped the safe so the door was facing away from me and swings up. I opened the door and leaned the safe so the door was stuck on the carpet. At that point, I used the safe's weight and a bit of mine to gently bend the door into place. That seemed to do the trick.

Sentry is now off my list of a safe I would purchase. My main intent purchasing this was for the fire protection, but not I don't think I trust that anymore.

I want to get a gun safe, but I live in a 2nd story apt that isn't very big. I like Sturdy and Amsec. Both seem to have good fire and burglery protection.
It's really difficult to really compare the safes side by side since there aren't any real metrics as to their security - aside for each saying they are the best.

Centurion_D
11-16-2006, 1:27 PM
Youse gets what youse pays for...

F***n' China.

Spend some dough and do it right.

Tell me about it! When protecting your collection of firepower don't skimp on quality. I purchased a Browing Prosteel series safe..it's excellent quality. I'm gonna sell at some point only to replace it with a fireproof gunsafe. And believe me it will be a quality built safe.

Dr. Peter Venkman
11-17-2006, 1:03 PM
My sentry safe works perfectly.

I'd rather collect guns than look at a nice safe all day.

Diabolus
11-23-2006, 8:03 PM
Sentry safes give a false sense of security.

Corbin Dallas
11-24-2006, 12:03 PM
Sentry safes are crap. You're better off spending a bit more money and getting a good safe for life than a cheap one for a few years.

My canon safe was about $1800 delivered, but worth every penny because I know the items in it are not going anywhere without my permission.

metalhead357
11-24-2006, 12:42 PM
Sentry safes give a false sense of security.

Yep. Might as well get the sentry Lockable steel gun cabinets/safes; affords about the same amount of protection without all the additional weight....or price.

grammaton76
11-24-2006, 1:30 PM
Eh, I haven't seen any issues out of my 325lbish Sentry 14-gun safe... and I've had it since '02 or '03.

metalhead357
11-24-2006, 5:17 PM
Eh, I haven't seen any issues out of my 325lbish Sentry 14-gun safe... and I've had it since '02 or '03.

As said many times/many places...its better than nothing but dont let it lead to a false sense of security. If it aint bolted down and to the wall you should. No he-man brandishing, but @325 lbs, one could wrangle it down a flight of stairs and into the back of a truck without toooooo much trouble; even less with a dolly; worry about the lock later.

grammaton76
11-24-2006, 5:21 PM
As said many times/many places...its better than nothing but dont let it lead to a false sense of security. If it aint bolted down and to the wall you should. No he-man brandishing, but @325 lbs, one could wrangle it down a flight of stairs and into the back of a truck without toooooo much trouble; even less with a dolly; worry about the lock later.

Ah, that's what you were talking about. From all the unspecified "don't feel secure with Sentry" babbling, I thought you guys were talking about widespread metallurgical or component failures.

metalhead357
11-24-2006, 5:50 PM
Ah, that's what you were talking about. From all the unspecified "don't feel secure with Sentry" babbling, I thought you guys were talking about widespread metallurgical or component failures.

I've *heard* "Sub standard" steel come from the mouths of competators....but I think we can figure what that's worth. Chances are it is either Japanese or Chinese steel though; a *tad* softer than american.

As for Fire rating & components....I'm out; never heard anything one way or the other; just a lot of people who start with them and then move onto other & often times bigger models/brands.

shooterx10
11-24-2006, 11:31 PM
Satex,

Since you live in a 2nd floor apartment, you might be interested in modular safe. It can be assembled and taken down using a hammer. I've read on other forums that Zanotti Armor is pretty well made. This is their website: www.zanottiarmor.com

+1 on metalhead's post about bolting it down. See if you can bolt the safe to the studs in the wall. When you move, you can repair the holes using dry wall putty. That's a lot easier than drilling through carpet.

http://www.zanottiarmor.com/images/zbdy_safesz1_18.jpg