PDA

View Full Version : aimpoint pro help

seronian
04-10-2011, 10:18 AM
i just got my aimpoint PRO installed on my noveske. range trip yesterday i failed to get it to zero. what i was doing is when i hit paper i measure elevation and windage and adjust the aimpoint accordingly the aimpoints dot seems to stay the same/not moving atleast that what it looks like or em i just imagining this. so got home and removed the upper placed it on a vise went with old school boresight placed a dot about 25 feet away lined up the bore then lined up the iron sights to the point of impact got that done cool, but when i try to line up the RDS to the point of impact it doesnt got there am i missing something here? while looking at the RDS shoudnt it travel to the point of impact? please help.

rattlesnake_nm
04-10-2011, 10:27 AM
You are over thinking it. You should be able to zero it in a mag or less. Dont think math or anything, just use the up down left and right on Your adjustment turrets to move around poi til You are on paper and zeroed. Do it at a closer distance and move out to 50 or 100, whichever You prefer.

missiontrails
04-10-2011, 10:29 AM
i just got my aimpoint PRO installed on my noveske. range trip yesterday i failed to get it to zero. what i was doing is when i hit paper i measure elevation and windage and adjust the aimpoint accordingly the aimpoints dot seems to stay the same/not moving atleast that what it looks like or em i just imagining this. so got home and removed the upper placed it on a vise went with old school boresight placed a dot about 25 feet away lined up the bore then lined up the iron sights to the point of impact got that done cool, but when i try to line up the RDS to the point of impact it doesnt got there am i missing something here? while looking at the RDS shoudnt it travel to the point of impact? please help.
OK, I have one of these, and it zero'd well. First, I would recomment zeroing at 50 yards. Second, so you are saying that when you see the dot from your boresight, you are unable to get the Aimpoint objective dot to lay on top of the boresight dot? If you turn your windage and elevation knobs with a penny 2-3 turns, you should see that Aimpoint objective dot move, alot. What kind of boresight are you using?

seronian
04-10-2011, 10:43 AM
OK, I have one of these, and it zero'd well. First, I would recomment zeroing at 50 yards. Second, so you are saying that when you see the dot from your boresight, you are unable to get the Aimpoint objective dot to lay on top of the boresight dot? If you turn your windage and elevation knobs with a penny 2-3 turns, you should see that Aimpoint objective dot move, alot. What kind of boresight are you using?

yes i cant get the aimpoint object to travel to POI / when you say to lay ontop is this in inches? yes i turned the W&E even more than 2 to 3 turns it looks like its not moving, im not using a boresight tool i simply drew a dot on paper placed it, looked in the bore till i can see it centered then looked tru the BUIS untill its centered alswell the bore and the BUIS are now looking at the same thing.

seronian
04-10-2011, 10:48 AM
You are over thinking it. You should be able to zero it in a mag or less. Dont think math or anything, just use the up down left and right on Your adjustment turrets to move around poi til You are on paper and zeroed. Do it at a closer distance and move out to 50 or 100, whichever You prefer.

this means the RDS and the BUIS are 2 different zeroes?

missiontrails
04-10-2011, 10:55 AM
yes i cant get the aimpoint object to travel to POI / when you say to lay ontop is this in inches? yes i turned the W&E even more than 2 to 3 turns it looks like its not moving, im not using a boresight tool i simply drew a dot on paper placed it, looked in the bore till i can see it centered then looked tru the BUIS untill its centered alswell the bore and the BUIS are now looking at the same thing.

Ya, your Aimpoint is fine... it's your method. Just rent a spoting scope at the range, and use 5-10 rounds fired from a very steady rest position. I have always used a laser boresight outside at my house, at night, when I get a new RDS, and that gets me within 2" or so when I try it out at the range.

rattlesnake_nm
04-10-2011, 10:58 AM
this means the RDS and the BUIS are 2 different zeroes?

Yeah, the pro mount isn't exactly cowitness or 1/3 co witness. Mine sits between absolute and lower 1/3. Don't worry about the irons and just adjust poi up down left or right.

seronian
04-10-2011, 11:12 AM
should i worry cause i turned the hell out of the W&E dont even know now how to get back to close to factory setting for a fresh start. if so how can i get it back to factory zero...

dieselpower
04-10-2011, 11:15 AM
I'm sorry...I must be missing something here.

The OP is saying the Dot is not moving when he turns the adjustment knobs and you are telling him that is normal....

If Aimpoints W&E adjustments DONT move the dot...what do they adust..the BARREL???????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????

I think the optic is broke. If you can not turn the W&E knobs to move the optics dot over the image of a dot projected on the wall...the adjustment knobs are broken. POA = POI to zero any optic. If that can't happen the optic is broken.

missiontrails
04-10-2011, 11:20 AM

The OP is saying the Dot is not moving when he turns the adjustment knobs and you are telling him that is normal....

If Aimpoints W&E adjustments DONT move the dot...what do they adust..the BARREL???????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????

I think the optic is broke. If you can not turn the W&E knobs to move the optics dot over the image of a dot projected on the wall...the adjustment knobs are broken. POA = POI to zero any optic. If that can't happen the optic is broken.
Diesel, the problem is he is looking through the sight and trying to adjust the dot according to a dot he drew onto a piece of paper 25 yards away, not a laser...... It could be moving, but he may not be seeing it.... not a precise enough method. However, i'm not there, and yes, it could be broken.............

missiontrails
04-10-2011, 11:23 AM
should i worry cause i turned the hell out of the W&E dont even know now how to get back to close to factory setting for a fresh start. if so how can i get it back to factory zero...

One of those $30 Sightmark laser boresights that looks like a 5.56 shell will allow you to see if its working or not. Shine the dot at night, and move your Aimpoint dot to where its laying on the Sightmark laser dot. The sightmark beams a 2MOA laser dot at 100 yards, and less at 50, so it should be easy to line up your 2MOA dot over that one. If you can't move your Aimpoint DOT to the Sightmark dot.... then yes, your Aimpoint needs to go back.

seronian
04-10-2011, 11:28 AM

i cant turn turn em up down left or right i just cant get the do to the POI. i know the dot itself wont move by itslef the entire view moves with the dot thats what im having a problem with....

Knife Edge
04-10-2011, 11:35 AM
I hope you didn't end up with a Chinese clone. I'd call Aimpoint and have them verify the serial number. Their page also has some information about determining if a RDS is authentic or not. Lastly, I'd send it in. That sight should last you a few decades.

rattlesnake_nm
04-10-2011, 11:41 AM

Click it alll the way one way til it stops now turn it in the opposite direction all the way til it stops while counting the clicks. Not turn it back half that number. Now try sighting it in shooting a target at 25. adjust poi left right up and down. Once You get it zeroed at the close distance move it out and zero at desired distance.

AeroEngi
04-10-2011, 11:46 AM
If you have BUIS and they're zeroed, use those to get close. Turn the turrets on the aimpoint until you can see the red dot through your BUIS. After that, just use some fine tuning to get it exactly what you want. I zeroed my PRO in about 20 rounds using this method.

missiontrails
04-10-2011, 12:00 PM
The BIG question...where did you buy it?

seronian
04-10-2011, 12:13 PM
bay area gun vault authorize aimpoint dealer.

missiontrails
04-10-2011, 12:16 PM
bay area gun vault authorize aimpoint dealer.

That should eliminate any "fake" ideas then.. Good.

evidens83
04-10-2011, 12:34 PM
OP you are thinking too hard. Assuming your BUIS(you have one right??) is properly zeroed, pop them up and align your dot with the irons. Should bring you close to zero and adjust from there.

seronian
04-10-2011, 1:07 PM
OP you are thinking too hard. Assuming your BUIS(you have one right??) is properly zeroed, pop them up and align your dot with the irons. Should bring you close to zero and adjust from there.

heres the thing the red dot wont align with the zeroed BUIS. the view of the inner diameter of the tube while having the red dot center wont travel to make some kind of alignment it stays in one spot. i know its hard to notice it moving but when adjusting it the distance may it be point of impact or BUIS should meet or get closer right its not doing that.

here is what it looks like...no me but barrowed from another forum. is this ok?

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a458/seronian/167834_1770320574590_1136491082_2013718_7590073_n. jpg

rattlesnake_nm
04-10-2011, 1:39 PM
Sir, that picture does not help because there is no buis in the picture just fsp, and that appears to be a TA31F. Flip down Your rear back up and do not worry about the irons. Just think the "left, right, up, and down" will move where Your bullet hits either "left, right, up, or down" So if You shoot at a can and dirt pops up to the right of the can move the turret left til it is hitting the can. It does seem You are over thinking too hard.

evidens83
04-10-2011, 1:43 PM
the red dot center wont travel to make some kind of alignment it stays in one spot. i

WTF :confused: Sounds like you have a defective unit then.