PDA

View Full Version : The abbreviation AG and what it really means

Kharn
04-10-2011, 4:12 AM
Why in the world do so many CGN members use AG to refer to Alan Gura? In the legal world (and pretty much everywhere outside these forums), it means Attorney General, the person/office representing the defendants in several SAF/Gura cases. Its extremely confusing to read someone's convoluted argument, only to stop mid-stream and try to figure out exactly who the author is referring to when they use 'AG' because of other posters referring to our favorite litigator with the same acronym.

I can get LOC, LUCC, UOC, etc, they are not commonly used for other definitions in firearms/legal-related discussions, but AG?! :mad:

Window_Seat
04-10-2011, 5:27 AM
Instead of using acronyms for Mr. Gura, I use :gura:

Sometimes I use:

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7167/steamroller.jpg

Erik.

Arondos
04-10-2011, 11:39 AM
http://www.abbreviations.com/AG

There's four pages of what AG can stand for.

When I was retiring the instructor of the program I went to gave an interesting demonstration. He told us to be very careful about using acronnyms we had used for years. He asked.

"Any enginemen here?" One guy raises his hand and gets asked "What does RPM mean?" The response was "Revolutions Per Minute."

He then asked a gunners mate the response was "Rounds Per Minute."

Then he asked for a nuke and I replied "Reactor Plant Manual."

What something means in one community may mean something completely different in another...

hoffmang
04-10-2011, 11:48 AM
AG is a bit of a double entendre as he was a former CA DAG - so AG isn't far off.

It's simple keyboard laziness and nothing more.

-Gene

HondaMasterTech
04-10-2011, 1:04 PM
Refer to Mr. Gura as AG, short for "Almost God". I find it quite appropriate.

N6ATF
04-10-2011, 2:00 PM
When speaking of Kamala Harris, you don't say:
AG hates law-abiding gun owners and wants to disarm them on behalf of criminals.

You say:
The AG hates law-abiding gun owners and wants to disarm them on behalf of criminals.
or
AG Kamala Harris hates law-abiding gun owners and wants to disarm them on behalf of criminals.
or
AG Harris hates law-abiding gun owners and wants to disarm them on behalf of criminals.

Initials for a name are entirely appropriate. Only an acronym to refer to someone in a government position wobbles. POTUS yes, AG no.

Wherryj
04-10-2011, 9:36 PM
Refer to Mr. Gura as AG, short for "Almost God". I find it quite appropriate.

I had always thought that it stood for "Awesome Guy".

wilit
04-10-2011, 9:41 PM
What something means in one community may mean something completely different in another...

I always chuckle when people use acronyms, assuming the person they're speaking to automatically knows what they're referring to. In my line of business, FOC can mean Face Of Curb (civil drawings) or Firm Order Commitment (sales term). When you have engineers and sales people on the same conference call, it can get confusing.