PDA

View Full Version : Trap gun

Bryan Whited
11-11-2006, 7:30 AM
Seems like most of the scatterguns here are tactical.
Any one have any for Trap or Skeet?

mike100
11-11-2006, 8:18 AM
I put a 30" vent rib fixed full choke barrel on my 1979 remington wingmaster police. 870's are do everything guns and most of the time it is traptical. I found an identical police model to replace it and the 30" bbl never comes off now. The one thing it doesn't do that a dedicated trap gun does is put a steeper rib angle with some target lead. I wonder if I could get a custom rib made for mine sometimes.

the normal comb/ stock dimensions work perfect for me so a monte carlo stock is useless in my situation, this lends to me being comfortable with the standard utility grade gun. I would like to get a custom forestock made to replace my utility grade corncob one, but either way, it shoots just like a light contour 870 trap (but doesn't look as fancy). The walnut and bluing is still pretty nice anyhow.

If I didn't go on a pistol buying frenzy fueled on by state imposed political sanctions, I would have probably went for a browning XT Trap over-under. Another example of an out-of-the-box stock dimension that fits me perfectly. Fortunately for me, I am joe average when it comes to field gun stock dimensions as I guess my cheek bone is similar enough to the majority of the population that most long guns seem to be custom made for me.

Gnote
11-11-2006, 8:40 AM
I have a O/U field gun I use for trap. I really like it too.

Omega13device
11-12-2006, 5:48 AM
I use a plain jane 870 Express Magnum for trap. Less than $300 and I can hit 25 out of 25 with it. You don't need an expensive gun to shoot trap.

Bryan Whited
11-12-2006, 3:47 PM
Never hit 25 with an 870 but did hit 24.

sargenv
11-12-2006, 4:16 PM
I've hit 25 straight at skeet with a 20 gauge 870..

People ask me which guns I use for trap and skeet (sporting clays too).. I tell them, the same guns I use for hunting and 3-gunning. 12 gauge Browning Gold, 870 Wingmaster in 20.

Vince

tzahoy
11-13-2006, 7:45 PM
I've got a Pair of Winchester Diamond Grade 101's, one for trap and one for skeet. I also have a pair of 3200's one trap and skeet. I haven't been shooting them enough, my dad and I used to shoot trap, skeet or both every weekend. We also shot handguns a bunch at the ols Alameda range. We used to shoot the pistol match every moth, once in a while Bob Chow would show up and show us how it's done.

I'll have to call dad up and invite him out for a round, thanks for the reminder...

pilotimb
11-13-2006, 8:01 PM
I use my 870 express for trap. I got it for under $250 and haven't hit 25 for 25 yet but I've been close.

ivanimal
11-13-2006, 8:17 PM
I use a browning gold hunter and a Beretta O/U.

DULLYJAY
11-14-2006, 7:56 PM
I use a browning gold hunter and a Beretta O/U.
;) You don't have to brag:p :D

wilit
11-14-2006, 7:59 PM
Okay, I'm confused now. What's the difference between trap and skeet? Also, what type of choke would be best for each?

Omega13device
11-14-2006, 8:58 PM
Okay, I'm confused now. What's the difference between trap and skeet? Also, what type of choke would be best for each?
Check out http://www.claytargetsonline.com/aboutthegames.php.

tzahoy
11-14-2006, 9:04 PM
Best to Google this one to get a good idea. Words won't do this justice but I'll try. Trap is shot from five stations arranged in an arc, the trap house where the target launcher is located in front of the arc at about the center of curvature. A bird flys out of the trap house when called for at a random angle away from the shooter. 5 Shots are fired from each station for a total of 25 rounds.

Skeet has a larger semicircle with seven stations along the arc and one dead center. There is a high house above station 1 which launches a bird at a prescribed angle somewhat outboard of station 8 towards station 7. There is a low house next to station 7, opposite the high house. It launches a bird outboard of station 8 towards station 1. At Stations 1 and two you shoot high house then low house, then a double. Station 3-5 you shoot high house then low house. These are hard because the birds are flying perpendicular to you at about 50mph, about 40 yards out. Station 6 and 7 you shoot low house, then high house, then a double. Station 8 you are standing directly in the middle of the field, the birds are flying almost dorectly overhead. You shoot a high house then a low house. So far that's only 24 shots. Don't worry, you missed one earlier, when you missed it you got an option to take call for another bird and shoot it again. If you made it to the end without missing you get to shoot your option at station 8.

Like I said, best to Google for pics.

I had a passion for skeet when I was about 12-15 and spent a lot of time out there. It's an addicting game, fast and challenging. Do yourself a favor and take a golfer skeet shooting. Trap is slower but also challenging and fun. Skeet guns have shorter barrels and more open chokes, trap guns tend to have longish barrels and chokes in the mod - full range. Any shotgun will work for either game and get you a perfect score with practice. Get out and try it!

ivanimal
11-14-2006, 9:41 PM
;) You don't have to brag:p :D

Dully, we both know that Dillon shoots both guns better than me and he hasn't even gotten out of High School yet!
:p