PDA

View Full Version : Building my first AR, deciding on a 18" barrel...

gfourth
04-09-2011, 8:44 PM
Building my first AR 15, this will be my 2nd AR, I bought my first in January out of the marketplace here.

I caught the bug right away, and wanted to build my own! :)

Anyway, for this rifle I'm going for something to shoot out to 400, maybe 500 yards. It will be scoped with a 3-9 or 4-12 (TBD). I've never shot past distances of 100 yards so I wanted to build a precision AR and learn to shoot farther with it. Also trying to keep the rifle from gaining too much weight. I would like no more than a medium contour, fluting would be a big bonus. My price range for barrel is $300, all the ones I listed below fit my budget.

I'm set on an 18" barrel, but can't decide which one. The ones I am considering are:

DPMS 18" heavy contour SS416 (cheap & heavy, but accurate?) 5.56 chamber
WOA SPR(r or m) Wylde chamber
BCM 18" SS410 medium contour, 5.56 USMC SAM-R Chamber
WOA SPR from ADCO and add fluting (a little more than my budget)
AR Stoner 18" medium contour, fluted, Wylde chamber

What I have so far: (lol, this started out as a "budget" build...)

AP lower
Magpul UBR stock
Geiselle SSA trigger
RRA match lpk (w/out trigger & hammer)
Raddlock
YHM stripped upper w/ trap door & delron plug for forward assist.
PWS FSC556 comp/flash hider

Parts I will be getting:

Troy TRX Extreme battle rail
Harris bipod
Scope
BUIS
BCM charging handle and BCG assembly

Any suggestions on the barrel? I know WOA is highly regarded, but I was curious if anyone has input on the other barrels?

I'm not set on a chamber, 223 Wylde or 5.56. Or should I avoid 5.56 chamber because slightly less accurate?

Also, all these barrels have either 1:7 or 1:8 twist, which is fine by me.

Thanks for any input.

rareair
04-09-2011, 9:02 PM
When I was searching for an 18" barrel for my SPR build back in Jan, I was leaning towards a WOA (White Oak Armory) barrel. But in the end I just ponied up the cash and bought a POF-P415 rifle complete with a fluted 18" barrel :D

RONIN.
04-09-2011, 9:11 PM
well i would also like to add blackhole weaponry to your barrel list.. i have many of there barrels and they are great barrels, with even better customer service

gfourth
04-11-2011, 7:37 AM
When I was searching for an 18" barrel for my SPR build back in Jan, I was leaning towards a WOA (White Oak Armory) barrel. But in the end I just ponied up the cash and bought a POF-P415 rifle complete with a fluted 18" barrel :D

Nice rifle, rareair!

well i would also like to add blackhole weaponry to your barrel list.. i have many of there barrels and they are great barrels, with even better customer service

Thanks RONIN, haven't heard of Blackhole Weaponry, they're on the list now. Reviews seem to be pretty good.

Any other suggestions? I really like the idea of a fluted, medium contour barrel.

thrillhouse700
04-11-2011, 8:59 AM
seconded black hole, I am still waiting for mine to come in but they have been nothing but helpful so far.

motorwerks
04-11-2011, 9:10 AM
I was going to say this. I got my 18inch .308 barrel from them and I love it so far. They may take some time if its not something they stock but it was worth the wait.

Cnynrat
04-11-2011, 9:27 AM
You might consider Superior Barrels. I have one of their 18" barrels and am very happy with it. It's not fluted though.

jimmykan
04-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Fulton Armory Barrel, 18", HBAR, CM, 1x9, Threaded, Chrome Lined (http://fulton-armory.com/barrelfa18hbarcm1x9threadedchromelined.aspx)

The barrel is manufactured by Criterion, who claims that their chrome-lining process does not degrade accuracy.

It has a 1-in-9 twist, which should handle any ammunition that is loaded to magazine length (up to 77-grain Sierra MatchKings and 75-grain Hornady Match). You'll need at least a 1-in-8 twist to shoot 75-grain Hornady A-Max or 80, 90-grain MatchKings, but those are usually loaded to 2.5"+ OAL, and are single-loaded into the chamber.

PEBKAC
04-11-2011, 10:14 AM
You might consider Superior Barrels. I have one of their 18" barrels and am very happy with it. It's not fluted though.
And it is close to 400 all told which is somewhat more than 300, though to be fair, that's what I'm going with.

Cnynrat
04-11-2011, 11:18 AM
And it is close to 400 all told which is somewhat more than 300, though to be fair, that's what I'm going with.

Ahh, I missed the OP's price point. I was going to point out that the barrel comes with a head-spaced bolt which offsets the price a little, but a quick check on their web site indicates they no longer include the bolt with the barrel, that's an extra $50. Pretty sure when I bought mine the bolt was included.

Still, I have to say I am happy with the barrel.

gfourth
04-11-2011, 1:32 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the suggestions!

So what do you think of the BHW 18" 5.56 Standard Profile Mid Length Gas System .750 Gas Block - 1x8 Twist w/ the added option of fluting under the hand guards and in front of the gas block?

That passes my budget, but so has everything else on this rifle so far :43:

I really like the idea of saving weight where I can, this rifle will be mainly shot out in the desert, but if I were to ever bug out and take this rifle with me I think the lower weight would be golden. But, am I asking for too much by fluting a standard profile barrel?

Once again, thanks guys, I'm learning a lot!

ronas
04-11-2011, 1:47 PM
Any suggestions on the barrel? I know WOA is highly regarded, but I was curious if anyone has input on the other barrels?

LW makes a very good barrel.
Keep in mind you will only get something like 35 to 50 fps. more speed for every inch of barrel. In other words I like 16" barrel which has no lose in accuracy.

I'm not set on a chamber, 223 Wylde or 5.56. Or should I avoid 5.56 chamber because slightly less accurate?.

Lw makes a very good barrel with Wylde chamber.
I shoot my 16" barrreled OBR to 600 yards with no problem, usually 1.25 MOA or better if not real windy. Use 77g or 69g SMK bullets.

Also, all these barrels have either 1:7 or 1:8 twist, which is fine by me.
The barrel twist you mention are good will stabilize the heavier bullets.

rareair
04-11-2011, 2:09 PM

Nice rifle, rareair!

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/RareAirResto/Armory/DSC_2120Large.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/RareAirResto/Armory/DSC_2119Large.jpg

I noticed you listed East County San Diego as your location. Which city? El Cajon, La Mesa, Lakeside? Where do you shoot?

StrikeIndustries
04-11-2011, 2:21 PM
Troy TRX is a fantastic handguard, got one on my upper as well.

palakaboy
04-11-2011, 3:07 PM
http://www.visuallockdownphotography.com/Still-Life/Johns-Personal-Stuff/ariadnefinishedresized/1245107176_vfTUL-O.jpg

I frackin' love it!

you're definitely in the right route as far as keeping the weight down.

the ubr is the most stable adjustable i've ever held and will balance well with the 18inch barrel.

I'm currently using the 18 inch 1/8 twist 5.56 Heavy barrel in midlength from DTI. It's a fairly accurate barrel-- I just don't have the patience to sit there and sight in a weapon at 500 yards. I know you might not consider the 370$ upper from JSE surplus, but I figure it's worth the suggestion.

pdugan6
04-11-2011, 3:12 PM
I have an 18" setup with a dpms heavy contour barrel and I like it a bunch, but just be aware that it definitely adds weight to the gun. If you are just bench gunning it than no prob but if you are going to be in the field with it be prepared for the extra weight.

gfourth
04-12-2011, 8:07 AM
Thanks again for all the responses. I think my gut is telling me to get the WOA SPR barrel. So im gonna leave it at that. Probably do RLGS for the added smoothness I hear about, but this means I might need to get another buffer, as I already got an H buffer thinking I was going to go MLGS.

I also found a little writeup on a guy who bought a Harbor Freight Sand Blaster and Media for like $40 total and blasted a machined barrel, it came out great. I want the matte look :)

gfourth
04-12-2011, 7:54 PM
Okay, so I decided on the WOA SPR barrel, but now I'm leaning back towards MLGS. I would like less hand guard than more. So with a middy, I can get the 11" Troy TRX Extreme, and it should just cover the gas block. Okay logic?

Finished the lower yesterday, took about 2 hours. Also took 3 searches for the pivot pin spring and detent :o. Anyway here's a couple pics.

gfourth
04-20-2011, 7:44 AM
For all you Troy TRX Extreme handguard owners.... Do most lo-pro gas blocks fit inside the Troy?? How about clamp-on gas blocks, do they fit with the added material underneath the barrel?

palakaboy
04-20-2011, 8:34 AM
Check out my photo, that gasblock is gigantic.

It's not gonna go inside but it'll be a good idea to get a lowpro gb anyways.

ps- get the ones with the roll pins, not the screws.

missiontrails
04-20-2011, 9:42 AM
CMMG MedCon 18 w/midlength gas. $255

missiontrails
04-20-2011, 9:45 AM
Okay, so I decided on the WOA SPR barrel, but now I'm leaning back towards MLGS. I would like less hand guard than more. So with a middy, I can get the 11" Troy TRX Extreme, and it should just cover the gas block. Okay logic?

Finished the lower yesterday, took about 2 hours. Also took 3 searches for the pivot pin spring and detent :o. Anyway here's a couple pics.

First, go with a 12" forend, you will be clad you did, especially if you are mounting a Harris in the front. Second, go to Samson Manufacturing's website and look at the Evolution forend.... my clear choice over the Troy/VTAC/Extreme.

gfourth
04-20-2011, 9:51 AM
First, go with a 12" forend, you will be clad you did, especially if you are mounting a Harris in the front. Second, go to Samson Manufacturing's website and look at the Evolution forend.... my clear choice over the Troy/VTAC/Extreme.

Thanks missiontrails, looks like they come in the same lengths as the Troy, and I'm pretty dead-set on it.

You live in Santee?

missiontrails
04-20-2011, 10:04 AM
:43:Thanks missiontrails, looks like they come in the same lengths as the Troy, and I'm pretty dead-set on it.

You live in Santee?
Dead set on Troy, or Samson? Used to live one block from Mission trails hiking entrance...... now Point Loma.

gfourth
04-20-2011, 10:09 AM
I'm dead-set on the Troys, BUT you never know, now that I have seen the Samson Evos.... The Evos are nice, but no FDE is a con. I'm a little OCD on color matching.

missiontrails
04-20-2011, 11:18 AM
I'm dead-set on the Troys, BUT you never know, now that I have seen the Samson Evos.... The Evos are nice, but no FDE is a con. I'm a little OCD on color matching.

You can always get rail covers. Look at how the EVO mounts.... on a heat sync, and on a STANDARD barrel nut. Look at the holes for accessory rail mounting also...... Ya, I see that you already invested in the FDE stuff though.

Don29palms
04-20-2011, 12:02 PM
If you want a lightweight and modular handguard check out the Samson Evolution.

crazychinaman
04-20-2011, 2:09 PM
How about 18 inch fluted SS barrel ,full length daniel defense handguard, ASA side charging handle flat top upper .Check out ADDAX Tactical.

gfourth
04-20-2011, 2:27 PM
Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. My indecisive brain has been able to decide on the WOA barrel and Troy handguards. I bought a YHM upper, mates nice and tight to my lower. The one thing that isn't too clear is if all lo-pro gas blocks will fit under the Troy, just wanted to make sure I don't get one that doesn't fit.

Part of this project was also to build the upper myself, part of the fun :)

radd
04-20-2011, 3:14 PM
To OP: I know you decided on a barrel already, but If you haven't pull the trigger on it yet.....

Consider this: http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=818

Essentially it is Shilen barrel built to Rainier Arms specs w/ Rachet Rifiling.

Shilen seem to be popular among competition and Bolt guns.

I can't say really how it shoots, but I've got one waiting for the upper to assemble.

Radd

rareair
04-20-2011, 4:01 PM
The one thing that isn't too clear is if all lo-pro gas blocks will fit under the Troy, just wanted to make sure I don't get one that doesn't fit.

I have a Troy TRX on my M7A1, the gas block is also made by Troy. The clearance is very tight. I also have a Troy MRF hand guard, much more clearance room for the gas block

Lead Waster
04-20-2011, 4:54 PM
I was in the same boat, hemming and hawwing about what to get. I finally got sick of looking at the stripped lower sitting on my dresser (!) for the last 6 months and picked up a 20" DPMS varmint upper/barrel. It weighs about 100 pounds as far as I can tell. Even just holding it while I looked at it was getting heavy. Maybe I should have hemmed and hawwed a bit longer, but again, I just wanted to get it put together. Even with the reasonably priced upper assembly ($520) adding up the other parts really shot the price up.

Oh why did I make that impulse gun show purchase? (of a stripped lower!)

MacDime
04-20-2011, 5:36 PM
White oak makes great barrels. Just gotta be ok with stainless look or get them coated.

missiontrails
04-20-2011, 9:59 PM
Samson Evolution 11" pre-install... just experimenting with the rails... Will probably run 2 Magpul XTM panels in front of the VG.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd451/dehlers1/d2fa7f2f.jpg

palakaboy
04-20-2011, 10:26 PM
Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. My indecisive brain has been able to decide on the WOA barrel and Troy handguards. I bought a YHM upper, mates nice and tight to my lower. The one thing that isn't too clear is if all lo-pro gas blocks will fit under the Troy, just wanted to make sure I don't get one that doesn't fit.

Part of this project was also to build the upper myself, part of the fun :)

Lo pro gas blocks will fit. The instructions tell you to use them.

If you live near enough, or have the time. Stop by Ammo Brothers (they stock these) and have a look see. Or if you're willing to wait for it, I can snap a photo of my Troy TRX next to a ruler.

gfourth
04-21-2011, 9:54 PM
Alright, check is in the mail for the WOA sprm!

Lo pro gas blocks will fit. The instructions tell you to use them.

If you live near enough, or have the time. Stop by Ammo Brothers (they stock these) and have a look see. Or if you're willing to wait for it, I can snap a photo of my Troy TRX next to a ruler.

That would be awesome palakaboy, maybe a vertical & horizontal measurement?

a1fabweld
04-22-2011, 7:37 AM
WOA.