PDA

View Full Version : Building AR-15

Vipersx911
04-09-2011, 6:05 PM
Been an AK-74 owner for a while, but finally have to give in and build an AR. Gonna be honest dont know much about them except they are a blast to shoot, and the idea of building one up from scratch is really appealing to me. I want to get some feedback on a few things like which lowers are reccommended for building one, I am not wealthy so cost is an issue for me. Also anyone have any other recommendations for parts and accessories on them I am open to hear any feedback that anyone would have. Thanks guys and once again so glad there is a forum for people in California to get info on things like this.

Seeker
04-09-2011, 6:20 PM
Well for starters, understand what is legal and what is not. Click on the "AW and OLL Guides" tab on top of your screen and click on "CA AW ID Flowchart".

For a reference you can also check out and read Penal Code 12276.1. here:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.php
That whole section, is the law as it is written, in regards to Assault Weapons.;)

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Even though i have a low post count I've been roaming these forums for a while now and am currently gonna build my own AR-15 as soon as my 10-day wait for my lower expires.

jonyg
04-09-2011, 6:37 PM
If cost really is an issue, I'd recommend buying a complete Plum Crazy lower instead of making your own (As far as I know PC does not sell stripped lowers to build from and PC is the cheapest way to get a lower). I just sold mine but they appear periodically on the private sale section.

The upper's influence on the performance is much higher.

There was a thread recently with a list of every part needed for an AR...gonna go find it
edit: Here it is
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=366595

Vipersx911
04-09-2011, 6:37 PM
Thanks, have the AW laws down pat due to the AK, understand clearly what is legal and what is not. I dont know however what is recommended and what lowers as well as uppers and parts have the good reputations and what other people run on the internals. I dont know much about the makers of the parts out there and need the help on what people recommend and what is good to use.

dieselpower
04-09-2011, 7:29 PM
Do you have a figure in mind to stay under? You are looking at $800ish for the rifle. There are several ways to do this. You can cut and paste my first link and buy each. Or buy whole assemblies, and assemble the rifle... or buy a complete upper and a complete lower...slap these two together.

rareair
04-09-2011, 7:38 PM
Peep the classifieds. There's a pretty nice complete AR in there right now for $799

Seeker
04-09-2011, 7:38 PM
What's your budget?

Elwood_Blues
04-09-2011, 8:03 PM
What's your budget?

This

JD makes nice lowers, and they're in San Diego. You can buy it directly from them or you can score one on sale at Discount Gun Mart.

justin15w
04-09-2011, 8:09 PM
Lowers are all pretty much the same. It seems like Spikes lowers are pretty cheap at moment. I got mine for $128 out the door w/ fees. Check out your local shops.

An upper on a budget build will cost you about $500. Once, again, check out Spikes. Also, Del-Ton is cheap and good quality. Everyone raves about BCM uppers. I would keep an eye on the classifieds here as well as arfcom and you'll come across a great deal.

Ak707
04-09-2011, 8:35 PM
Complete spikes rifles are in the $800ish price range if you wanted to go that route

rareair
04-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Just realized you're located in San Diego. Do yourself a huge favor, go visit Joe @ Parallax Tactical in Sorrento Valley. www.parallaxtactical.com

rareair
04-09-2011, 10:15 PM
JD makes nice lowers, and they're in San Diego. You can buy it directly from them or you can score one on sale at Discount Gun Mart.

JDs does make nice, if not great, lowers. But I couldn't disagree more about giving Discount Gun Mart any business.

Vipersx911
04-09-2011, 10:20 PM
Do you have a figure in mind to stay under? You are looking at $800ish for the rifle. There are several ways to do this. You can cut and paste my first link and buy each. Or buy whole assemblies, and assemble the rifle... or buy a complete upper and a complete lower...slap these two together.

I want to build it up versus the complete upper and lower, I would say I am ok with up to about 900 or so total