PDA

View Full Version : Does the guy owe me a new target?

Lost.monkey
04-09-2011, 4:51 PM
So I'm out in the range, plinking away with my AR and a shiny new Champion chalk target holder. I zero at 50 yards, and proceed to close out my chalk targets. At 50 yards, in a supported position, I just can't miss.

So I run out about 200 rounds, and suddenly my friend decides to join in the fun on my target with his 30-06. He misses the chalk targets, and SHREDS my target's supports, to the point of cutting the metal legs in half, and ruining the entire stand. Mind you, he didn't ask before engaging.

So we joke, and I tell him I'll send the link to buy me a new one. We have our laugh, and then he switches to my other friends' target, and shreds that one too! Again, firing on target without permission.

So the question I have is this: Should we force the issue that this guy should buy new targets? Or do we just live and learn, and plan around this guy showing up every time we go out and buy beefier targets?

Thanks for any advice/similar experiences!

X-NewYawker
04-09-2011, 4:53 PM
Yes.
My buddy Big Lou loved to shoot the supports on my target frames when we used to go to Angeles all the time. Give a guy a tack driver and he will want to, well, drive tacks.
Simple courtesy, you break it, you bought it.

Tank 57
04-09-2011, 4:53 PM
I'd ask him nicely to replace it.Once.If he doesn't,I'd never shoot with him again.

Stormtrooperthunder
04-09-2011, 4:54 PM
make him buy you a new one or do not invite him to go shooting with you in the future.

cntrolsguy
04-09-2011, 4:55 PM
If he has any kind of class he would buy new ones without even asking if he needs to. If he does not then you should definitely press the issue. It is not about whether you can afford a new 1 or not it has everything to do with shooters being held to a higher standard in my opinion.

moosegun
04-09-2011, 4:56 PM
If its couple of bucks I wouldn't ask him to replace it.(after all you did say friend). If its more than 20 bucks, I'd make him pay for it so he learns his lesson. I wouldn't want to hang with ppl like that. It's just matter of time until ppl like that gets you in trouble.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
04-09-2011, 5:05 PM
Yes, Make him buy you a new one. Find someone that can hit the target's to shoot with.

Ed_Hazard
04-09-2011, 5:11 PM
If he has any kind of class he would buy new ones without even asking if he needs to. If he does not then you should definitely press the issue. It is not about whether you can afford a new 1 or not it has everything to do with shooters being held to a higher standard in my opinion.

^^^This. You should not have to tell him to replace it, he should pony up on his own. If he doe not,find a new shooting buddy.

Lost.monkey
04-09-2011, 5:30 PM
Yeah, it was $32.00 plus shipping.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/47745-1.html

I actually really liked it, and I bought it strictly for 50-100 yard supported practice and testing.

I taped a piece of cardboard across the bottom, and slapped 2 x 6" shoot-n-c's on it. He took out the support shooting supported, I assume aiming for the lower right shoot-n-c.

I'll send him the link, and see how he responds.

Thanks guys!

Which Way Out
04-09-2011, 5:32 PM
While he's buying you a new on tell him to get 2 so it won't happen again. Then if the idea comes up to shoot his, blast the he** out of it and have a good laugh. As long as friends can cover the cost and have fun now and then why sweat it. To me shooting should be fun and not something to get all freaked out about. Just stay safe.

c good
04-09-2011, 5:37 PM
Yes he owes you a new stand. Period.

Lost.monkey
04-09-2011, 5:37 PM
Ok, I should probably clear up one point:

By friend I mean "that annoying guy from work who wanted to come shooting with us."

Cokebottle
04-09-2011, 5:38 PM
I like that target idea!

What I would do is add some 2"x3" angle stock to the front of the cross pieces so instead of the bullets going through and shredding the stand, they're more likely to be diverted down.

odysseus
04-09-2011, 5:39 PM
Depends who you are hanging with I guess. You shouldn't have to ask. Destroying someone's stand shouldn't have to come bargaining the person; they should be volunteering to replace it.

yuccales
04-09-2011, 5:40 PM
Sounds like you need a new friend. That was uncool.

Which Way Out
04-09-2011, 5:41 PM

By friend I mean "that annoying guy from work who wanted to come shooting with us."

Ok, then he definitely needs to buy 2 and then you know what to do:iggy2:

DPC
04-09-2011, 5:53 PM
I'd make it clear that if he doesn't know how to shoot don't shoot at my target or you will replace it!!!
I've also gone to Burro Canyon and noticed my targets moving when I wasn't shooting at them, that pisses me off.

cntrolsguy
04-09-2011, 5:53 PM
I actually lent my target to a good friend and somebody shot the swinging arm to crap. When I went over to his garage for a few beers he told me the story and showed me the swing arm that he had a friend weld and repair and had a second swing arm made to replace it in case it was shot up again. He happens to be one of my best friends fron elementary school and so is his brother. Their dad was actually the dude that tool me out shooting my first time when I was 18 and it's his fault I have this disease! I still wish he was around as I think he would be proud of how we turned out considering we all grew up in Santa Ana.

Uriah02
04-09-2011, 6:07 PM
He broke it he bought it!

Capt. Speirs
04-09-2011, 6:29 PM
If he is a "freind", you shouldn't have to ask.

dfletcher
04-09-2011, 6:49 PM
I think next time I'd give him a box of 30.06 ammo - special reloads, no powder. He'll pull the trigger once & put the bullet about 2" up the bore - done for the day I'd say to him "try and blast my target stand now numb nuts ....." :)

thrasherfox
04-09-2011, 7:04 PM
Yes he owes you.

If he doesn't pay up. don't ever go shooting with the guy again.

Sorry, but doesn't sound like a stand up guy. you shouldn't even have to ask. The guy right off the bat should have said he was sorry and he will get you a new one ASAP.

Problem with people these days. they just dont respect other people or their property.

rareair
04-09-2011, 7:41 PM
If he IS a friend, with some form ethics & a small amount of courtesy , he'll replace it without having to be asked

supertrooper
04-09-2011, 9:05 PM

lol, i set up a trip to the range with a real friend that i work with that ended getting cancelled. back at work "that guy" said sorry he didnt make it. i told him that its ok since he wasnt invited anyway. that cheap bastard would be the one to shoot up my stand and not pay for it.

kel-tec-innovations
04-09-2011, 9:11 PM
Yes I'd be pissed and ask him to buy me a new one for breaking mine

blazing
04-09-2011, 9:12 PM
y i think the right thing to do is for him to buy u a new target. this reminds me of the time when my extended cuzzin back into my car and he told me "my coworker can fix the car just give me half and ill pay the other half". i was like if ur not gonna pay for the whole thing then get out of my face. the guy was always sooooo cheap.

Rob454
04-09-2011, 9:50 PM
this is the reason i do not borrow or lend anything anymore. if the guy had any class he would replace it without needing to be told.

rjh4758
04-09-2011, 9:55 PM
I think next time I'd give him a box of 30.06 ammo - special reloads, no powder. He'll pull the trigger once & put the bullet about 2" up the bore - done for the day I'd say to him "try and blast my target stand now numb nuts ....." :)

BAD IDEA! What if he is stupid enough to throw I another live factory loaded round in after your reload doesn't work right? KABOOM! He and anyone standing by could be mamed or killed. Never mess with some one in this manner.

I would ask him to pay up and never take him sooting again weither he pays up or not. Most likely he won't because if he did not pony up the money by now he has no intentions of doing it. You have learned a life lesson, do not take anyone shooting with you that you do not respect and feel comfortable around without a firearm in thier hand. Things can get much worse when you mix idiots and butt holes with firearms and I for one prefer not to be around that situation.

I actually lent my target to a good friend and somebody shot the swinging arm to crap. When I went over to his garage for a few beers he told me the story and showed me the swing arm that he had a friend weld and repair and had a second swing arm made to replace it in case it was shot up again. He happens to be one of my best friends fron elementary school and so is his brother. Their dad was actually the dude that tool me out shooting my first time when I was 18 and it's his fault I have this disease! I still wish he was around as I think he would be proud of how we turned out considering we all grew up in Santa Ana.

That is how I have always been too. If I borrow someones car and the tank is half full when I get it, it always goes back full when I am done. I think that is just being respectful. Glad to see I am not alone.

only10x
04-09-2011, 9:59 PM
+1,000,000

Yes he owes you a new stand. Period.

though IMHO doesnt sound like a guy I would want around...

shotcaller6
04-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Diabolical devoinious has no bounds and payback can be a bioatch at times.

RONIN.
04-09-2011, 10:36 PM

YES.. even if he is that annoying guy from work...

stitchnicklas
04-09-2011, 10:54 PM
Yes.

Simple courtesy, you break it, you bought it.

my sediment exactly

Stormtrooperthunder
04-09-2011, 11:56 PM
now that you mentioned that he's some dude from work, make him pay you and your friend back and never take him to the range again with you. I learned the hard way.

I invited friend(known him for 8 years) to shoot since he was looking at a pistol . I told him he just needed to buy ammo. I get to the range and I see him waiting with another person (should have known that was going to be a problem). He didnt buy any ammo since walmart didnt have any and big5 was too expensive(so he said). Told them $12 for 9mm and $18 for 45acp and they agreed to the price.

They took three of 9mm and two of 45acp of each($72 total for those mathematically impaired) and he said he'd pay me when we get lunch. Range time went well, but I couldnt go to lunch with them since an emergency came up. So I told him to pay me when I saw him on campus.

I saw him the following school day, but he didnt have the money. said something about his friend not giving him his half. He kept on giving me excuses after that, i dont get paid till friday, I need to pay for phone bill, and other BS. He was so stupid, he was posting stuff he bought on facebook( 1K camera lens, comic books, and booze). Told him if he is truely a man, he will keep his word. He gave me 50 bucks and told me to "be a bud".

Dont hang out with him anymore and he texted me yesterday asking if i could do his taxes for free for him. I told him to send his stuff and if I get around to it, I will do it. But we all now Im never getting around to do it.:43:

only10x
04-10-2011, 12:07 AM
you sound as bad as he is dude^

Could have just put him in his place from the start though you are drawing this out needlessly for the sake of getting even?..
sounds like a waste of time IMHO

Vanilla Gorilla
04-10-2011, 12:12 AM
make him buy you a new one or do not invite him to go shooting with you in the future.

^^^this^^^

winxp_man
04-10-2011, 12:39 AM
I say a friend would not do SH!!!T like that!!! And if he did I would expect him to tell ME!!!! NOT ME TELL HIM!!! that he will get me a new one.

metalliman545
04-10-2011, 6:03 AM
Use him as a target stand. I bet hitting the new "target stand" will be much more exciting then shooting the old one

straykiller
04-10-2011, 9:46 AM
i would say yes. and i think you need to find a new shooting buddy. any of mine would have felt bad an offered to replace it right after it happened

Hyper
04-10-2011, 9:56 AM
Never hang out with the people you do not want to. You said he's annoying. You should have trusted your gut feeling, and not invite him to join you at the range.

INJUNTOM
04-10-2011, 10:30 AM
I'd ask him nicely to replace it.Once.If he doesn't,I'd never shoot with him again.

I'm with Tank on this one. Most of my buddies would expect that they would have to replace something they mutilate. That's why they are my buddies.

People that get over on me and/or do crap like that aren't my buddies real quick.

But, if I really liked the guy otherwise, I just wouldn't include him in that kind of situation. Lesson learned.

INJUNTOM
04-10-2011, 10:32 AM

Yep, and there's a safety issue in there somewhere too. I assume he shot wildly, and probably surprised you.

Did he shoot from his position or did he come over to your side?

Most ranges I've gone to don't allow cross shooting.

762.DEFENSE
04-10-2011, 11:01 AM
I totally agree with this statement. :thumbsup:

Lost.monkey
04-10-2011, 2:28 PM
Yep, and there's a safety issue in there somewhere too. I assume he shot wildly, and probably surprised you.

Did he shoot from his position or did he come over to your side?

Most ranges I've gone to don't allow cross shooting.

This was out at rattlesnake canyon rd. No lanes, but there was about 20' between us. He brought a shot spotting scope, his 30-06, and no targets of his own.

Tomorrow I'm going to e-mail him the link, and see what he does.

Gem1950
04-10-2011, 2:29 PM
Consider yourself lucky you weren't hunting with him!

metalliman545
04-10-2011, 3:18 PM
Doesn't change the fact he destroyed the target holder.

johnthomas
04-10-2011, 3:20 PM
I suppose you could shoot his legs out from under him and call it even, lol. I would not shoot with anyone that destroys my things. Why don't you email a link to this thread?

taloft
04-10-2011, 4:10 PM
Doesn't change the fact he destroyed the target holder.Agreed, it just makes me wonder what else we don't know. I'm retracting all prior posts. I shouldn't have opened my mouth without having all the facts. Mea culpa.

missiontrails
04-10-2011, 4:18 PM
Expandable baton.

FrankG
04-11-2011, 2:38 AM
if he is a co -worker .... go to his chair or desk and take the legs from them...tell him when you get a new stand he will get his legs back .... lol :)

mdhpper
04-11-2011, 8:12 AM
Find a new friend to shoot with.

Lost.monkey
04-13-2011, 12:13 PM
He coughed up the $40 for the stand and shipping, and I didn't have to press (but I did hint at it a few times).

Thanks for the support, you guys definately made up my mind to pursue it. Otherwise, I think I would have just let it go like my friend did.

motorwerks
04-13-2011, 12:17 PM
send me the old one Ill weld it up and shoot clay off of it. :D

mariodesmo
04-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Don't shoot with him again, ever.

motorwerks
04-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Don't shoot with him again, ever.

Something like that! I shot my friends resettable target with my AR it blew a hole right through one of the little gongs. It really wasnt a big deal we both own welders and have worked in the past in the trade...... I brought it home buzzed it with a grinder filled the hole and even gave it a coat of paint to make it pretty again....

now we think its fun to poke holes in and do it about once a trip to the range.

Rule .308
04-13-2011, 1:09 PM
I had a similar situation years ago where my buddy put out a brand new metal target stand, the kind that you just clip paper targets to. Well, about 4 or 5 of us laid down prone with SKS's and shot the snot out of that thing. Of course he wasn't too happy and *****ed about he should've just clipped a $20.00 dollar bill out there. I gave him twenty bucks and told him that next time we'll wait for him to get his slow arse onto the line so he can at least get a few rounds off on his disposable target holder.

I pretty much agree with the concensus here. If it was somewhat shot up already and he just gave it the coup de gras, that would be one thing, but if he rolled up on it and mowed it down with his '06 then he needs to open his wallet and in the future not do that again.

I am pretty choosey over who I take or go shooting with. People like this guy would not get the nod in the future, regardless of whether he takes care of it or not. Let's face it though, if crap like this has to be pointed out to him, well then you know what kind of person he is anyhow. Cut your loses.

Jel
04-13-2011, 1:30 PM
Otherwise, I think I would have just let it go like my friend did.

Why would your friend let it go? You should mention to "the annoying one" that he shot your friend's target as well and should pay for it too.

WokMaster1
04-13-2011, 3:59 PM
$32 plus shipping is really a steal to find out that your "friend" is really NOT a friend. Run away, don't walk........;)

Mister.E
04-13-2011, 4:29 PM
I think some of you guys are being a little over dramatic about the whole “friend” issue. He at least forked up the money for a replacement. If a friend can’t ruffle your feathers, who do you prefer, a complete stranger?

If he didn’t pay up, $40 is a cheap price to find out who isn’t a friend.

thunderbolt
04-13-2011, 4:42 PM
When I take people out to the range with me they never seem to have their own targets and we always end up using mine (I make my stands out of PVC). Inevitably they get shot to crap and fall over. Being PVC the cost of repairs is like a couple of bucks and it's no big deal but I have adopted a policy I establish with them from the start that it's alright to shoot them and if they get damaged it's ok just to relieve tention. However I'm a nice guy and if I had expensive targets or metal targets then maybe the story would be different. I will not however let anyone use my ammo anymore. I can't stand an ammo freeloader.

Co-worker or not if he didn't bring his own stuff then he should have asked about yours before he even opened his rifle bag. It's just common courtesy. I'm glad to see that he did make it right in the end and if he does go out with you again get cheaper targets. PVC works great but so does spray painting a circle on a dirt hill.

Cokebottle
04-13-2011, 7:21 PM
Being PVC the cost of repairs is like a couple of bucks and it's no big deal
Ditto.

I welded up a nice stand, but it's at my buddy's place in the dez. Was planning to build a couple more, but a shoot I'm going to next month, a guy from work doesn't have any stands and offered to pay for 3.

Not sure I want to hassle with welding up 6 stands, so I'm just going to get 6 1.5" pipes and 24 elbows. Won't take an hour to make them all.

Mr. Casull
04-14-2011, 1:53 PM
I say you show him the comments here on Calguns and unless he is totally an idiot he will buy you a new target!!

ZX-10R
04-14-2011, 2:03 PM
If he didn't ask to shoot on it then yes...If you were cool about it until he shot it out...NO.