PDA

View Full Version : So, still a fan of diehard anti actors/singers/athletes...?

lomalinda
04-09-2011, 3:17 PM
Personally, it ain't hard for me to skip movies given that most are pretty ****ty to begin with. However, there are quite a few comedians whose stuff turns out to be a bit in opposition to what I hold near and dear. Haven't burned any CDs (lol) but I'd be damned if I were to pay another dollar to Dennis O' Leary (for example) given his efforts at making firearms ownership a thing of the past.

What say you?

VictorFranko
04-09-2011, 3:22 PM
Add Arnold to the list, Sean Penn too.

Window_Seat
04-09-2011, 3:29 PM
My favorite actor is Erik Estrada (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=5911931)... :thumbsup:

Erik.

lomalinda
04-09-2011, 3:31 PM
Sean Penn's been a jackass for years so it's no surprise to see he's "one of them."

Arnold, on the other hand, turns out to be a near-complete POS. Granted, anyone marrying into the Kennedy family shows early signs of ****tiness, but even so, one would have hoped for a lot more from such a macho dude who made a fortune shooting guns in movies.

From the 50 cal ban to the dick tucking on the ammo selling regulation, Arnold fails the test big time.

llamatrnr
04-09-2011, 3:34 PM
Tosh? Stewart? Colbert? Anyone know?

Connor P Price
04-09-2011, 4:30 PM
Tosh? Stewart? Colbert? Anyone know?

Tosh-anti
Stewart- has made some pretty awesome statements on his show bashing anti's for their flawed logic
colbert- no idea

Dreaded Claymore
04-09-2011, 8:18 PM
From the 50 cal ban to the dick tucking on the ammo selling regulation, Arnold fails the test big time.

Arnold, I have some advice for you: don't be a Second Amendment girlie-man!

bulgron
04-09-2011, 8:38 PM
Put Stallone on the list.

USMC VET
04-09-2011, 9:13 PM
Tosh-anti
Stewart- has made some pretty awesome statements on his show bashing anti's for their flawed logic
colbert- no idea

Tosh? Really? Any proof?

Cali-Shooter
04-09-2011, 9:17 PM
Robin Williams, Harrison Ford, and Mel Gibson all get a big, fat, F.

mag360
04-09-2011, 9:20 PM
hadn't thought about this until now but I used to love terminator movies. Now I have to hate him for 50 bmg ban and signing ab962.

jpigeon
04-09-2011, 9:21 PM
Ahnold was definetly a huge disapointment

supersonic
04-09-2011, 9:24 PM
WTF is "Dennis O'Leary?" :sleeping:

mag360
04-09-2011, 9:25 PM
omg and all of arnolds impressively lame green energy goals that are ABSOLUTELY killing consumers. Laaaame.

Cali-Shooter
04-09-2011, 9:30 PM
hadn't thought about this until now but I used to love terminator movies. Now I have to hate him for 50 bmg ban and signing ab962.

If you ever watch Terminator 1, you'll see the irony and symbolism of Arnold walking into that CA gun store with the uzi's, and how he (Arnold) blasts the gun store owner with a SPAS-12.

caoboy
04-09-2011, 9:34 PM
I love the hypocrisy!

I love how a bunch of dudes that were IDOLIZED through war and just AWESOME gun action movies are just total ANTI 2A people!

HOW do you do that? MONEY. That, and if all of your friends are anti, you might as well be one too to fit in. So that make MONEY, and POPULARITY!

jdberger
04-09-2011, 9:42 PM
Will Ferrell.

Did some stuff for the Brady Campaign (though I don't know if he's a 'die-hard anti' or simply going with the flow).

Werewolf1021
04-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Bruce Willis is the only actor I really enjoy watching. From what I've heard, he is at least somewhat pro 2A.

Edit: Proof- http://www.digitalspy.com/celebrity/news/a32637/bruce-willis-supports-gun-laws.html

Sajedene
04-09-2011, 11:47 PM
I watch movies for entertainment. I work in entertainment. There are plenty of beliefs and agendas that actors have and represent that I can agree or disagree with. But I find no need to boycott entertainment. A movie is not the fruit or the benefit of one man or woman - it is the labor of many - and some do share the same 2A passion as myself.

InGrAM
04-09-2011, 11:55 PM
Bruce Willis is the only actor I really enjoy watching. From what I've heard, he is at least somewhat pro 2A.

Edit: Proof- http://www.digitalspy.com/celebrity/news/a32637/bruce-willis-supports-gun-laws.html

Wow, I had no idea. Good job Bruce. I always did like him as an action star (die hard!) but that thing he said in die hard 2 about glocks, gets me every time. lol

dkmons32
04-10-2011, 1:11 AM
Someone mentioned something about Daniel Tosh?? His show is funny as hell but this is interesting to me... is he anti?

Cali-Shooter
04-10-2011, 4:26 AM

Nice, Bruce Willis has been my idol, since childhood.

That article title is severely misleading though, it should say something like "Bruce Willis Supports Gun Rights" not "gun laws." 95% of all gun laws are infringement of the 2A.

NotEnufGarage
04-10-2011, 5:06 AM
Wow - who goes to movies anymore?

I think the last time I was in a theater was to see.... Shoot.. I can't remember.

I have a 120" projection system, 7.2 surround sound and a wet bar in my home theater.

Why spend $30 or $40 in a theater so some kid or hoodlum can sit behind me yappin' on their cellphone and I can't pause the movie so I can mix a fresh drink?

That said, movies by vocal anti-2A actors, directors or producers don't seem to work on my setup for some reason. Keep your yap shut and I'll watch your movie. Spew crap about things you know nothing about and I won't, especially if you're Canadian and doing it here in my country.

dizzy
04-10-2011, 5:09 AM
I find it rather ironic that the film industry is an effective marketing tool for certain firearms types to the general public .
How many of you have purchased specific firearms brands because you became aware of it in a movie, ie Dirty Harry's Model 29?
For me, I ended buying a Walther P99 because of a Bond film.

supersonic
04-10-2011, 5:39 AM
I have a 120" projection system, 7.2 surround sound and a wet bar in my home theater.

Why spend $30 or $40 in a theater so some kid or hoodlum can sit behind me yappin' on their cellphone and I can't pause the movie so I can mix a fresh drink?

Wow, thanks for sharing. Now I think you are a tool!!:p ....To answer your question, some of us don't have the kind of scratch it takes to have a home theater and wet bar in our home(s) as you do, so we wait for the movie to come out either on Blu-Ray/DVD or one of the pay-channels/OnDemand.;)

dwtt
04-10-2011, 6:34 AM
Make sure you guys don't include Andrea Parker from the series Pretender.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0662042/

She's a California native, shoots guns, drives fast cars, and is so hot her looks can melt butter from a mile away.

PatriotnMore
04-10-2011, 6:59 AM
I watch movies for entertainment. I work in entertainment. There are plenty of beliefs and agendas that actors have and represent that I can agree or disagree with. But I find no need to boycott entertainment. A movie is not the fruit or the benefit of one man or woman - it is the labor of many - and some do share the same 2A passion as myself.

I am sorry, but I could not disagree with you more. These actors and the Hollywood movie business in general make obscene amounts of money from hard earned public monies, many with opposite politics and views.

They have access to TV, press and influential people. When they use movies based on violence, where they dually show the destruction from weapons, and then, that the right type of person with a weapon is the often the only option to combat it, then run out and use that power and influence to blame the weapon and actively work to deprive people of the right and ability to defend oneself, I should not, and will not support the actor or the industry.

If they want to get involved, and if it effects their lively hood from people with a conscious who stop supporting their views, we'll see just how important the issue is.

NotEnufGarage
04-10-2011, 7:30 AM
Wow, thanks for sharing. Now I think you are a tool!!:p ....To answer your question, some of us don't have the kind of scratch it takes to have a home theater and wet bar in our home(s) as you do, so we wait for the movie to come out either on Blu-Ray/DVD or one of the pay-channels/OnDemand.;)

Aww.. Don't be hatin' on me... I live paycheck to paycheck, too.

Projector - $899 on sale (1080p Sanyo)
Screen - $200 for material, $20 for wood to build frame
Wet bar - $400 for cabinets, $50 for counter top, $100 plumbing parts
$200 refrigerator
Labor - $0

Yeah, you can slip some contractor/consultant $25K-$50K to build a home theater for you, or you can DIY it on the cheap and end up with darn near the same result.

I didn't list the receiver or speakers, since you'd have those regardless of whether you have a projector or a flat panel.

Oh, I forgot ;

Stocking wet bar - Priceless...

Sajedene
04-10-2011, 8:53 AM
I am sorry, but I could not disagree with you more. These actors and the Hollywood movie business in general make obscene amounts of money from hard earned public monies, many with opposite politics and views.

They have access to TV, press and influential people. When they use movies based on violence, where they dually show the destruction from weapons, and then, that the right type of person with a weapon is the often the only option to combat it, then run out and use that power and influence to blame the weapon and actively work to deprive people of the right and ability to defend oneself, I should not, and will not support the actor or the industry.

If they want to get involved, and if it effects their lively hood from people with a conscious who stop supporting their views, we'll see just how important the issue is.

Any person, given any means or platform, will use that platform to share their beliefs.

I believe you are doing so right now and so am I.

It is up to the people listening to filter out what they hear. I choose to filter out the rag mags and stories of those I do not care for and their causes and go out of my way to support the causes I believe in - but a good movie is a good movie and I won't use a comparison of my beliefs vs the lead actors to determine if I watch it or not. Just because an actor is pro 2A doesn't mean that I automatically support everything they believe in as well. And just because an actor is not pro 2A doesn't mean I wouldn't share a political or religious belief with them. So then what?

And again, since I do work in the movie industry, the percentage of actors who actually make "an obscene" amount of money is a handful. The others struggle and work their butts off for their craft, me being one of them. There are many things that define a person, for me, loving guns and loving entertainment and the arts will always be there. But I consider myself smart enough to be able to filter, analyze, understand, and formulate the different thoughts presented to me to not be persuaded so easily.

Now if the argument is "society gets so easily influenced by one person with a platform" then perhaps I can agree with that. But then, we all have agendas and platforms (see my intro), some taller and louder than others. I guess it just comes down to who is more convincing?

supersonic
04-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Aww.. Don't be hatin' on me... I live paycheck to paycheck, too.

Projector - $899 on sale (1080p Sanyo)
Screen - $200 for material, $20 for wood to build frame
Wet bar - $400 for cabinets, $50 for counter top, $100 plumbing parts
$200 refrigerator
Labor - $0

Yeah, you can slip some contractor/consultant $25K-$50K to build a home theater for you, or you can DIY it on the cheap and end up with darn near the same result.

I didn't list the receiver or speakers, since you'd have those regardless of whether you have a projector or a flat panel.

Oh, I forgot ;

Stocking wet bar - Priceless...

Wasn't hatin.' Just jealous!!! Sounds like you really know what you're doing. Just don't tell me you refer to yourself as an "audiophile.":rolleyes:...That is just so pompous & weird (I only say this because all of the self-titled 'audiophiles' I've met personally are.....well.....strange, to be euphemistic :p)........ I might have to get a hold of you should I ever want to attempt to tackle this type of project myself. It actually sounds almost "affordable," relatively speaking.;)

Full Clip
04-10-2011, 10:58 AM

Eh, Bruce's "son" and ex-wife at least use the 2nd A. Not sure if they support US using it.
(http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/07/19/demi-moore-shooting-an-ar-15/)

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/wp-content/uploads/cache/5025_NpAdvHover.jpg

HondaMasterTech
04-10-2011, 12:10 PM

This.

I'm of the opinion that some of these popular actors/actresses become anti-gun for different reasons but primarily because they live in a fantasy world of make-believe. Not because they act, but because they are spoiled rich idiots.

HondaMasterTech
04-10-2011, 12:12 PM
I am also suprised to see someone mention Tosh. He seemed like such a grounded individual.

coverme2
04-10-2011, 1:17 PM
I try my very best to not knowingly use my hard-earned money to watch any form of entertainment whose main character(s) is/are anti-2A. I find it distasteful for me to support someone's livelihood when he/she intentionally and specifically doesn't support my rights as a law abiding citizen as it pertains to our 2A while in the meantime their personal security detail are CCWd to protect their "important & precious" lives from kooks. What...my life, the lives of my loved ones, and the lives of other law-abiding citizens aren't as important & precious as those who entertain? Sounds like a lot of self-serving self-important bull**** amongst some self-righteous entertainers who use their star-platform to promote their anti-2A opinions. I guess its easy for them to pontificate what they think is best for the rest when they have the luxury of staff doing stuff for them and protecting them from kooks. Faaaak that noise!

HondaMasterTech
04-10-2011, 1:26 PM
I'm sure I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the majority of things I spend money on, one way or another, help fund an anti-gun individual, innocently.

Do you buy anything with 'made in china' stamped on it? Everyone does, at some point. And, you're supporting a communist world power. You think not watching a movie because the main charachter doesn't like guns is going to make any difference?

It's one thing to feel "icky" and choose to not watch it. It's a completely different thing to think that by not watching the movie you are making a difference. You're like a grain of sand on a thousand mile long beach.

C.W.M.V.
04-10-2011, 3:04 PM
I am also suprised to see someone mention Tosh. He seemed like such a grounded individual.

Ya Id like to see proof, or a link at least.

HondaMasterTech
04-10-2011, 3:09 PM
Ya Id like to see proof, or a link at least.

I almost misunderstood you. At first I thought you were asking me to prove that he seemed like a "grounded individual".

bulgron
04-10-2011, 3:43 PM
Do you buy anything with 'made in china' stamped on it? Everyone does, at some point. And, you're supporting a communist world power.

Not willingly. Sometimes you have no choice (just try and buy paint that wasn't made in China), but when I have a choice I'll always buy the not-made-in-China product.

You think not watching a movie because the main charachter doesn't like guns is going to make any difference?

Movies are entertainment, and as such they are something I can entirely choose to ignore without any ill effects in my life. There's ALWAYS some other form of entertainment out there that I can choose to spend my money on, if I am so bored that I must be entertained. Indeed, there's usually even other movies out there that I can choose to see instead of some movie where the main actor is an rabid anti-gunner.

So why shouldn't I choose to spend my money on forms of entertainment where the main entertainers are not out to strip me of my constitutional rights? In fact, the idea that I should put money into an anti-gunner's pocket because my purchasing decisions "make no difference" is loathsome. If enough people behave as I behave, the idiots in Hollywood who want to strip me of my rights won't be making movies anymore, because the studios will find that other actors draw more dollars.

If I have a choice in movies, one with an anti-gun lead and one without, I'll go see the one without the blatantly anti-gun lead. I think anyone who cares about their gun rights should do the same thing. Strip these people of a few percentage points of profits, and they'll start getting the idea, or the studios will at least. Same deal with businesses, by the way. If there's two stores that offer the same services, but one is blatantly anti-gun and the other is not, why not go to the one that is at least not overtly trying to screw me over?

I think you need to rethink your position on this. How we spend our dollars does matter. Who we choose to support economically does matter. And whether we're willing to give an anti-gunner the time of day absolutely does matter.

Screw the anti-gunners in Hollywood. If they want me to spend money to see their movies, they can damn-well stop trying to strip me of my rights.

No compromise!

Southwest Chuck
04-10-2011, 3:59 PM

I report, you decide:
Tosh on Guns clip (http://tosh.comedycentral.com/video-clips/video-breakdown---drunk-guy-with-a-shotgun)

Note some of the comments he makes :( .

Sajedene
04-10-2011, 4:01 PM
Why so focused on the lead? Whether you go see that movie or not, he's already paid for doing it. What about the rest of the people who worked hard on that movie who support 2A? They get shafted because they don't get first billing?

What do you do when one lead is pro 2A and the other isn't? What about if they're pro 2A but strongly support another ideology you are opposed to?

NotEnufGarage
04-10-2011, 4:45 PM
Wasn't hatin.' Just jealous!!! Sounds like you really know what you're doing. Just don't tell me you refer to yourself as an "audiophile.":rolleyes:...That is just so pompous & weird (I only say this because all of the self-titled 'audiophiles' I've met personally are.....well.....strange, to be euphemistic :p)........ I might have to get a hold of you should I ever want to attempt to tackle this type of project myself. It actually sounds almost "affordable," relatively speaking.;)

Nope.. I just like to watch stuff and have it sound good.

SparrowHanger
04-10-2011, 4:59 PM
Personally, it ain't hard for me to skip movies given that most are pretty ****ty to begin with. However, there are quite a few comedians whose stuff turns out to be a bit in opposition to what I hold near and dear. Haven't burned any CDs (lol) but I'd be damned if I were to pay another dollar to Dennis O' Leary (for example) given his efforts at making firearms ownership a thing of the past.

What say you?

Generally, I don't believe in boycotting an actor or other's work because of their political beliefs. It smacks of totalitarianism. On the other hand, I still have problems with Jane Fonda.

HondaMasterTech
04-10-2011, 5:12 PM
I don't mind rethinking my position. Constant evaluation ensures I'm coming up with the best possible answers for myself. Boycott all the movies you want. Your real problem is with the individual, not the movie. I don't understand what result you are expecting.

Gryff
04-10-2011, 5:56 PM
Don't forget Marky Mark. That douche has publicly said that individuals shouldn't be allowed to own guns, and directly insulted Charlton Heston for his NRA support when they worked together on the Planet of the Apes remake.

It still makes me gag whenever anyone compliments any aspect of "Shooter." Stephen Hunter should have punched the producers in the mouth when they cast Wahlberg in the lead.

Deadpool
04-10-2011, 6:15 PM
I agree that it sucks for some of these actors to have such a huge double standard.

But I have always found it easy to separate my personal opinion of that particular actor from my ability to enjoy the movie.

For example, I personally think Tom cruise is a whackjob, but I will admit that I generally really enjoy his movies.

As much as it makes me sad to hear that Will Ferrell is an anti, I could never stop watching his movies. And that goes for Tosh.0 also. That show is hilarious.

Gryff
04-10-2011, 6:36 PM
But I have always found it easy to separate my personal opinion of that particular actor from my ability to enjoy the movie.

For example, I personally think Tom cruise is a whackjob, but I will admit that I generally really enjoy his movies.

I understand what you are saying, but there are certain things that I find intolerable. I'm not contributing to someone's income when they use their money and celebrity to undermine one of my fundamental rights as an American (and one which is a major hobby for me).

And the irony of the typical roles that Stallone and Wahlberg take is too much for me. I feel like I'm being one of the sheeple if I pay to see their movies.

Wherryj
04-10-2011, 8:32 PM

I'd say that you should add Penn and Teller to the "short list" (very pro-2A).

12voltguy
04-10-2011, 9:25 PM

yup:)

bulgron
04-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Why so focused on the lead? Whether you go see that movie or not, he's already paid for doing it. What about the rest of the people who worked hard on that movie who support 2A? They get shafted because they don't get first billing?

The lead typically gets a percentage of the take, so it's worth refusing to see a movie if the lead is openly hostile to gun rights. Same with the director and producer(s).

What do you do when one lead is pro 2A and the other isn't? What about if they're pro 2A but strongly support another ideology you are opposed to?

Then I don't go see the movie.

It isn't like these people are producing a product up which rests the fate of western civilization.

AXI
04-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Fortunately the gaming industry holds the Bill of Rights close as it's its lifeline. 2A people love it and 1A keeps it alive. Hollywood should be a thing of the past, find yourself a good dev and support the superior media.

Sajedene
04-10-2011, 11:11 PM
The lead typically gets a percentage of the take, so it's worth refusing to see a movie if the lead is openly hostile to gun rights. Same with the director and producer(s).

Then I don't go see the movie.

It isn't like these people are producing a product up which rests the fate of western civilization.

It is not just the leads who get a percentage. Any actor who is able to successfully negotiate one will get one. Or no one will get one - that can happen and happens often too.

And per your last statement... that's how I feel too. So I feel no need to boycott something that will entertain me and make me happy. But hey, if it makes you happy to not see it, then go ahead.

And the gaming industry is heavily tied to Hollywood. From voice overs to actors hired for the characters...

SupportGeek
04-11-2011, 12:59 AM
I dont see the point in boycotting something because an actor may have made an anti-gun statement once. If they use their money actively to discourage 2A or get paid by Brady to advocate, thats something else and I will boycott at that point.

I will not support a position of boycott that potentially affects the livelihood of hundreds of people, especially when the odds are good that at least some of those people are donating to the NRA, CGF, SAF etc... to attempt to destroy those people's careers over an actor's simple opinion in such a case would be to cut off our nose to spite our face.

C.W.M.V.
04-11-2011, 1:26 AM
I report, you decide:
Tosh on Guns clip (http://tosh.comedycentral.com/video-clips/video-breakdown---drunk-guy-with-a-shotgun)

Note some of the comments he makes :( .

I didn't see anything really anti gun there, maybe anti dumbass but not gun.

tonelar
04-11-2011, 1:47 AM
I realize theyre not screen actors, but the bunch at mythbusters come across as pro 2A. And they typify the mentality you find with many industry types you will find working behind the scenes.

aileron
04-11-2011, 5:05 AM
.... It is up to the people listening to filter out what they hear. I choose to filter out the rag mags and stories of those I do not care for and their causes and go out of my way to support the causes I believe in - but a good movie is a good movie and I won't use a comparison of my beliefs vs the lead actors to determine if I watch it or not.

This.

Stonewalker
04-11-2011, 10:07 AM
This.

Any word on whether or not Joss Whedon or Nathan Fillion support the 2A? I'd sure like to believe they do.

Decoligny
04-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Would you eat at a restaurant where the chef was an anti?

Would you work for a company where one of the other employees was an anti?

Would you hire a plumber to stop the water spraying all over your kitchen if he were an anti?

Just watch the friggin movie for the entertainment value. If an actor is being payed to act, then their politics mean nothing, so long as they are not using the movie to spout their politics.

bsim
04-11-2011, 11:14 AM
So, still a fan of diehard anti actors/singers/athletes...? Yes.

There is not one person on this earth that believes in the same idealogocal concepts that I do, and I interact with them daily. The world doesn't stop at my brain.

Maybe that actor is gay, still like his movies. Maybe my doctor is Hindu, still my doctor. Maybe my accountant is a democrat, still my accountant.

Entertainment is just that. T2 is a great movie. That doesn't have anything to do with whether Arnold is anti or not.

Oh, and wrestling is fake. But I still watch from time to time.

N6ATF
04-11-2011, 12:46 PM
I realize theyre not screen actors, but the bunch at mythbusters come across as pro 2A. And they typify the mentality you find with many industry types you will find working behind the scenes.

From Kari Byron's Suicidegirls interview by Keith Daniels:
KD:
You’ve also said that you aren’t really a gun person, but you always seem to have a lot of fun with guns on the show. Has being on the show changed your opinion about guns?
KB:
Here’s the thing. I like guns as a machine. I think they’re an amazing thing. I love learning about the physics behind them, and it’s really fun to shoot at targets. I still don’t like hunting. I find it kind of silly. I don’t necessarily have any different views on whether everybody should own a gun. I don’t own one myself, but I like shooting them. So I would say I’m somewhat... I don’t know if you’d say I’m conflicted, but I’m just.. [Dramatic breath] I’m a gun-holding pacifist, how about that?
KD:
That pretty much describes me as well. I’m a gun-owner, but I’m also an anti-war Democrat.
KB:
Yeah! I like shooting cans. I don’t want to kill anything.

Jake71
04-11-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm not a fan, no.

Mel Gibson and all these actors make gobs of money off violent movies using all kinda of weapons and then they have the gall to speak out against them.

It's like Michael Moore... complains abut Haliberton etc... but check his stock portfolio, he's invested heavily into them.

Nothing worse than a two faced jackwagon.

H.M.
04-11-2011, 3:27 PM
Don't forget Marky Mark. That douche has publicly said that individuals shouldn't be allowed to own guns, and directly insulted Charlton Heston for his NRA support when they worked together on the Planet of the Apes remake.

It still makes me gag whenever anyone compliments any aspect of "Shooter." Stephen Hunter should have punched the producers in the mouth when they cast Wahlberg in the lead.

Don't forget that Marky Mark is a racist as well and was convicted of gouging a Vietnamese man's eye out. Apparently he's pro violence but anti gun violence.

AVS
04-11-2011, 4:50 PM
The OP's question stems from the viewpoint of an outsider looking in.

You're literally asking, "If one specific employee in a company of hundreds is anti-gun then would you want nothing to do with that company?"

Many of you are rooting for Bruce Willis. You'd definitely go to one of his movies! Well-- what if that movie was written, directed, and produced by a group of anti-gun nuts? Apparently that's okay. But if it's the other way around? Whoa! Stop the car!

I work in the movie biz. I'm a screenwriter. As the writer, everything you see on screen was derived from a story thought up by someone like me. That said, writers have zero say over who stars in the movies they wrote.

What if I wrote a movie with pro-2nd amendment undertones, but it starred an anti-gun actor? (It could easily happen.) Would you refuse to see it in spite of your fellow cal-gunner? Of course you would. Outside of Hollywood, no one cares about the Producer, the Director, or the Writer. And that attitude is exactly why actors get paid so much.

Want to know why anti-gun actors are so often found on screen making guns look cool? Because they're *acting*. That's what they're paid to do. If the guns look cool it's because a guy like me wrote it up that way and everyone else is successfully getting it up on the screen.

Sit through the end credits sometime and take a look at the sheer number of people who work on a single movie. To disregard hundreds, because of one guy... it's just silly.

Sure, we all have actors we can't stand. Me included. But to avoid a movie you'd otherwise enjoy, just because one guy has his wires crosses? That's just sad.

Sajedene
04-11-2011, 7:05 PM
The OP's question stems from the viewpoint of an outsider looking in.

You're literally asking, "If one specific employee in a company of hundreds is anti-gun then would you want nothing to do with that company?"

Many of you are rooting for Bruce Willis. You'd definitely go to one of his movies! Well-- what if that movie was written, directed, and produced by a group of anti-gun nuts? Apparently that's okay. But if it's the other way around? Whoa! Stop the car!

I work in the movie biz. I'm a screenwriter. As the writer, everything you see on screen was derived from a story thought up by someone like me. That said, writers have zero say over who stars in the movies they wrote.

What if I wrote a movie with pro-2nd amendment undertones, but it starred an anti-gun actor? (It could easily happen.) Would you refuse to see it in spite of your fellow cal-gunner? Of course you would. Outside of Hollywood, no one cares about the Producer, the Director, or the Writer. And that attitude is exactly why actors get paid so much.

Want to know why anti-gun actors are so often found on screen making guns look cool? Because they're *acting*. That's what they're paid to do. If the guns look cool it's because a guy like me wrote it up that way and everyone else is successfully getting it up on the screen.

Sit through the end credits sometime and take a look at the sheer number of people who work on a single movie. To disregard hundreds, because of one guy... it's just silly.

Sure, we all have actors we can't stand. Me included. But to avoid a movie you'd otherwise enjoy, just because one guy has his wires crosses? That's just sad.

:thumbsup: You definitely said it better than I did. That's why you're the writer and not me :p

And man, at least you get credited for your work, haha. I'll be on IMDB soon enough though.

Firemark
04-11-2011, 7:38 PM

Dont forget people, Mark Wahlburg has a Felony conviction for assault AND Sly Stallone has Felony conviction for drug possession.

BOTH of them have CCW permits granted by the Sheriff. Maybe I should go out and get a Felony conviction so I can get my CCW.

Paladin
04-11-2011, 8:19 PM
This is why Tom Selleck is my favorite actor! :thumbsup:

For the newbies, years ago Tom did some ads for the NRA ("I'm the NRA!"). He's the 2nd one from the left.

http://www.nrawinningteam.com/bios00/annual/imthenra1.jpg

Later, he was on the Rosie O'Donnell show to promote a movie he was in, and she bushwhacked him, attacking him, calling him a NRA spokesman (which he wasn't, he was just in a print ad saying he was a gun owner). Fortunately, this happened when Tom was still very popular w/the public after Magnum, P.I., so Rosie's own viewers got ticked off at her and she had to apologize!

Here's the video of Rosie blindsiding Tom:
qtkgoGY4Cm4

Here's Jon Stewart's take on the Rosie affair. Stewart is very anti.
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-march-30-1999/headlines---magnumb-skull

Tom has been on the NRA's Board of Directors since 2008.

Plus he was pretty cool as Magnum.

http://images20.fotki.com/v357/photos/3/34603/303002/ts55-vi.jpg

Come to think of it, more of us guys should mention to the ladies in our lives that, esp if they were enamored w/Tom back in the '80s, that he's a big time NRA supporter and member of their Board. Heck, if it gets them to be more pro-RKBA and join the NRA, why not? ;)

thomasanelson
04-11-2011, 8:28 PM

Marky Mark is a convicted felon who cannot even touch real guns. He claims to have done so for the filming of "Shooter" which should have sent him back to prison. Obviously he is anti-gun...."if I can't have them, no one should".