PDA

View Full Version : out of state rifle purchase

AR Lover
04-09-2011, 1:23 AM
This might have been posted before, but I cant seem to find it. Is it possible to buy a new rifle out of state and bring it into California without having to be shipped to a CA FFL dealer, if I don't have a residence in that other state. Of course I would convert to CA legal before bringing it into the state.

I dont think this is legal, but if it is I am going to Nevada tomorrow. any facts on this subject would really help.

metalliman545
04-09-2011, 4:55 AM
Most statesif not all have laws about this. No you can't, you must be a resident of that state to buy a rifle from that state.

sonnyt650
04-09-2011, 6:41 AM
As of two years ago you could purchase the rifle in Nevada but you need to have them send it to an FFL here who'll charge DROS and a handling fee. The total fee was something like $70 when I purchased my SPS Varmint in stainless from Cabela's and I did exactly that. I asked about it in the FFL forum so you might find my post there.

Sorry -- brain is on early morning power save mode: the local FFL is necessary for California.

solidstate
04-09-2011, 7:47 AM
you need a NV drivers license, ID, etc. to purchase a firearm there.

morrcarr67
04-09-2011, 8:03 AM
The way the federal law is written it is ok for a person from state A to buy a rifle/shotgun in state B as long as the purchase is made from a FFL and is made face to face at the FFL's location. And, you could take it home that day with you.

It also must be ok with the state laws of both state A and B.

California does not OK this.

So, as a California resident you can buy it there but you would need to have it shipped to a California dealer for transfer.

grandpasmokey
04-09-2011, 2:52 PM
That was my understanding of the federal law too (as described by morrcarr67). But what if I buy a gun in another state w/o importing it to CA? For instance: I am a CA resident but want a rifle to keep at a vacation home. If I buy it in Nev. (for example) can I keep it in Nev.?

Quiet
04-09-2011, 3:03 PM
That was my understanding of the federal law too (as described by morrcarr67). But what if I buy a gun in another state w/o importing it to CA? For instance: I am a CA resident but want a rifle to keep at a vacation home. If I buy it in Nev. (for example) can I keep it in Nev.?

You can only legally take possession of it in CA.

Because you are a non-FFL CA resident, you can purchase in another state but can not legally take possession of it until it is transfered through a CA FFL dealer.

In regards to NV...
In order to acquire a firearm in NV you will need to prove NV residency.
This is done with a valid NV DL or NV ID.
In order to get a NV DL or NV ID, you must surrender your CA DL or CA ID.
If you do not want to surrender your CA DL or CA ID, NV will issue you a NV Seasonal Resident ID.
The NV Seasonal Resident ID is not an acceptable form of identification to complete a legal firearm transfer in NV.

grandpasmokey
04-09-2011, 3:55 PM
Thanks for the info. Your answer helps clear up a muddy situation.

AR Lover
04-09-2011, 6:27 PM
thanks guys

jubjubrsx
04-09-2011, 6:55 PM
just so you know, i've looked into this most FFL's charge a arm and a leg to get it in...

rero360
04-09-2011, 7:06 PM
When I was living in NY I was able to buy guns in PA and drive them home myself.

I am also under the understanding of if you are in the military and get sent out of state for training on orders for a period of time you can purchase guns there and bring them back with you as technically you are changing your place of residency during that time. This is what I was told in Utah anyways, I was told orders or any length with Utah being the duty place would allow me to purchase long guns and then at the end of my duty there I could bring them back to CA in my possession. For pistols it would require orders lasting 30 days or longer.

So it is made clear, I did not purchase any while I was there as I was broke and didn't get paid until after I got home. I would have liked to bought an XD but my orders only lasted 3 weeks.

Librarian
04-09-2011, 7:33 PM
When I was living in NY I was able to buy guns in PA and drive them home myself.

I am also under the understanding of if you are in the military and get sent out of state for training on orders for a period of time you can purchase guns there and bring them back with you as technically you are changing your place of residency during that time. This is what I was told in Utah anyways, I was told orders or any length with Utah being the duty place would allow me to purchase long guns and then at the end of my duty there I could bring them back to CA in my possession. For pistols it would require orders lasting 30 days or longer.

So it is made clear, I did not purchase any while I was there as I was broke and didn't get paid until after I got home. I would have liked to bought an XD but my orders only lasted 3 weeks.

Feds say that works for permanent duty station; .mil with PCS orders are defined as residents.

See the wiki - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Federal_residency_requirements

rero360
04-09-2011, 8:17 PM
Feds say that works for permanent duty station; .mil with PCS orders are defined as residents.

See the wiki - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Federal_residency_requirements

Thank you sir, I thought it sounded about right, glad to hear confirmation, maybe I'll take advantage of that ability in the future for any off roster guns I want.