PDA

View Full Version : Start DROS before FFL has rifle on hand?

aybyman
04-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Hello,

Is it possible to start the DROS of a long gun before the dealer physically receives it from the store?

Since they don't need the serial numbers aren't tracked with long guns ,it should be okay right?

stix213
04-08-2011, 11:16 PM
I've heard of this happening before. I'm curious how this works too.

:popcorn:

Riflelover
04-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Even on Rifles the Serial number is still needed for the dros from what I remember. My understanding is once the ffl receives the serial number from who is sending it he can start the 10 day process, but not everyone will do it.

morfeeis
04-08-2011, 11:22 PM
I tried this with an FFL and was told it's a big NO NO, but hey what do i know.....

Riflelover
04-08-2011, 11:24 PM
I tried this with an FFL and was told it's a big NO NO, but hey what do i know.....

I know Big 5 does it all the time once they ship it from their warehouse. Not sure if its because its technically in the companys possion.

dirtyJ
04-08-2011, 11:27 PM
Uh what? No, it's perfectly legal, you can do that with handguns too as long as you've got the serial number. There is nothing that says the gun has to physically be at the FFL before the DROS starts.

jtmkinsd
04-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Some shops will do it...some won't. I will do long guns, as no serial number is needed. I will not do handguns, because I can't verify the serial number given is the one on the gun I get...until it's in my hands.

I should also say, I only do long guns after a very detailed explanation to the customer about everything that could go wrong (it's not the gun they ordered, it's damaged in transit, etc) which may cause them to go over the 30 day limit and they will have to pay for another DROS if something does occur.

AlliedArmory
04-09-2011, 12:15 AM
Some do it, some don't. Like jtmkinsd said, things can go wrong.

I have done this before on my R700 from Buds. The 10day was already up before the rifle ever got there.

tenpercentfirearms
04-09-2011, 6:48 AM
Even on Rifles the Serial number is still needed for the dros from what I remember. My understanding is once the ffl receives the serial number from who is sending it he can start the 10 day process, but not everyone will do it.

Serial numbers are only recorded on Handgun DROS. Your information is incorrect.

Nothing in the penal code prohibits the dealer from starting a DROS early. The CA DOJ doesn't like it, but they know there is nothing they can do about it. They claim on handguns you can't start it early because you can't verify all of the information until it is in your possession. Again, the penal code does not prohibit this, they just don't like it.

As such, not all dealers will start your paperwork early. Some will. You need to ask your dealer and respect whichever decision they have made. When the DOJ tells you something, the impulse to ignore them and follow the law is not innate.

PlacerTactical
04-09-2011, 7:03 AM
I will start a DROS on a rifle that I order for a customer before it shows up. Handguns I wait til it arrives, they normally only take 2 days to arrive anyway. If a customer buys a rifle from gunbroker or another online source, I will generally start a DROS before it arrives if it is new. If it is used and sight unseen, I prefer to wait until the customer can verify its condition.

rbetts
04-09-2011, 9:01 AM
Long Guns. . . . the minute you decide you want it, Get the 10 days started here at Golden State. Liberating feeling being able to walk in and pick it up the minute it arrives (or there abouts).

Handguns. . . . , the minute they arrive in the shop, you can start the DROS. We agree with Wes, but prefer to avoid DOJ scrutiny on handguns.

In and out of this gun shop in 10 minutes when DROS' ing. :43:

Isn't it that way at all gun shops???????:confused:

shmeddie
04-09-2011, 11:03 AM
I've started DROS on both a hand gun and most recently a rifle before the shops (two different places) had the firearm in stock. For the handgun they called their supplier to get the SN. The second shop I think did the same with the long gun. Both were mom and pop shops with limited on hand stock but they were glad to special order the firearms for me. I guess it's just up the individual shops.

Cokebottle
04-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Not a problem for a rifle or a stripped lower.

Some FFLs won't do it for fear that shipment will be delayed and it might go over 30 days, but if that is their only concern, your acceptance that you'll eat the extra $25 if they have to re-DROS is usually enough to get them to do it.

santacruzstefan
04-09-2011, 12:42 PM
I just did this a month ago... but LMT is taking their sweet time and has already gone past 2 of their stated shipping dates, so it looks like DROS is going to have to be resubmitted. Luckily, my FFL is awesome and said he would eat the second DROS fee, but regardless, I want my rifle!

Legasat
04-09-2011, 12:50 PM
I have done this with two rifles I bought. Depends on the FFL.

SJgunguy24
04-09-2011, 1:25 PM
Serial numbers are only recorded on Handgun DROS. Your information is incorrect.

Nothing in the penal code prohibits the dealer from starting a DROS early. The CA DOJ doesn't like it, but they know there is nothing they can do about it. They claim on handguns you can't start it early because you can't verify all of the information until it is in your possession. Again, the penal code does not prohibit this, they just don't like it.

As such, not all dealers will start your paperwork early. Some will. You need to ask your dealer and respect whichever decision they have made. When the DOJ tells you something, the impulse to ignore them and follow the law is not innate.

Yep totally legit, unfortunately when the DOJ likes to think their opinion is the law is where things get screwy. When they basically hold your livelihood up in the air and it you don't do what they say they'll shut you down, even if you haven't broken any laws.