PDA

View Full Version : Serpa holster and wear on your gun.

BayAreaShooter
04-08-2011, 7:25 PM
I am debating on getting a Blackhawk Sepra for a Glock. For those of you that have Serpa's how are the wear marks on your gun? I personally do not mind some wear marks as it gives the gun character and says "I get some use" but I have been reading some review's and a few have mentioned the wear after a short period of time. I figure it all matters how much you draw and re-holster. Do you get wear marks from just having you gun holstered in a Serpa? May be a dumb question but all the holsters I have ever had were Nylon or Leather. Thank you in advance.

ElvenSoul
04-08-2011, 7:35 PM
Have wondered about this too.

awall919
04-08-2011, 7:36 PM
Don't hesitate, SERPAS are the way to go. I'v used one for my glock 17 and 27 with zero finish issues. It may be the Tenifer that keeps it from marring, but either way the efficancy of that holster system far surpasses any worries of marring your finish (which is minimal regardless of guns finish assuming its not krylon).

707electrician
04-08-2011, 8:17 PM
I havent had my serpa long but I dont see it being too rough on the finish. Great holster though

BayAreaShooter
04-08-2011, 8:51 PM
I think I will go pick one up tomorrow. Do you all prefer the belt loops or the paddle?

707electrician
04-08-2011, 9:05 PM
I have the paddle because I don't always wear a belt and it is comfortable

BayAreaShooter
04-08-2011, 9:50 PM
I have the paddle because I don't always wear a belt and it is comfortable

So there is no real retention of the entire unit if you do not use the belt loops. Could you pull the whole unit out if you or someone else tried to? Does it move around at all or does it stay stationary?

Ricky-Ray
04-08-2011, 11:12 PM
There is retention with the paddle. If you use the paddle there are little clips that you attach on fit below the belt so you just can't slide the paddle out.

Thigh rig for me. :)

NSR500
04-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Polymer holsters are not as hard on gun finishes as much as leather, and even nylon.

707electrician
04-09-2011, 6:11 AM
So there is no real retention of the entire unit if you do not use the belt loops. Could you pull the whole unit out if you or someone else tried to? Does it move around at all or does it stay stationary?

It has little claw- like clips that you can adjust to fit your belt/waistband

BayAreaShooter
04-09-2011, 6:52 PM
I just got my Serpa. Fits great and seems like a great holster. The only gripe I have is that the holster does not cover more of the gun on the "top strap." The other thing I noticed is the gun wiggles a bit in the holster. It will not come out it just has a bit of movement.

DanDaDude102
04-09-2011, 7:37 PM
I actually bought one because my old xd holster was putting too much wear on my xd. I sprayed my surpa down with some silicon oil and the gun slides in and out extremely smooth! No wear at all!

The Sauce
04-09-2011, 8:13 PM
A Glock can withstand being frozen, submerged, buried and run over...and you're worried about messing it up in a holster.

I've had mine for a few years, holstered and drawn from it a million times, not a single problem.

BayAreaShooter
04-09-2011, 11:35 PM
A Glock can withstand being frozen, submerged, buried and run over...and you're worried about messing it up in a holster.

I've had mine for a few years, holstered and drawn from it a million times, not a single problem.

Awesome thanks. Glad to hear it's not an issue.

gadjeep
04-09-2011, 11:53 PM
No complaints here. I use serpas for both of my SIGs and the nitron finish isn't showing any wear so a glock should wear even tougher with the tennifer treatment. The serpas wear less than most kydex holsters because They don't rely solely upon passive retention to secure the gun.

GunzNHoses89
04-10-2011, 8:38 PM
I have a serpa. Do they make a drop leg kit to attach the serpa belt loop holster to? Thanks!

Ricky-Ray
04-10-2011, 10:11 PM
I have a serpa. Do they make a drop leg kit to attach the serpa belt loop holster to? Thanks!

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Tactical-Holster-Platform,814,82.htm

You just need to unscrew the belt loop attachment and screw the holster onto the thigh rig.

I have one and works really well.

lgm118icbm
04-11-2011, 6:54 AM
My Serpa started wearing the finish off my Beretta 92 after a few days.

uscbigdawg
04-11-2011, 6:58 AM
Used a Serpa on 2 deployments. Your pistol is a hammer = a tool to do a job. A little "rattle" or what have you is fine. Enjoy it and practice.

Rich

Vandal.
04-11-2011, 7:14 AM
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Tactical-Holster-Platform,814,82.htm

You just need to unscrew the belt loop attachment and screw the holster onto the thigh rig.

I have one and works really well.

yeah i have the drop down leg holster... like he siad... it works really well. :D no issues with my sig. i love it.

FeuerFrei
04-11-2011, 10:03 AM
I have had a SERPA rig for a couple years and have noticed that if you hang up your pistol with mud or dirt sticking to it the stuff goes into the holster and can scratch your pistol.
It hasn't managed to scratch anything...yet, but I like the way it locks the weapon in.

Erin
04-11-2011, 2:31 PM
i carried my xd (same gun) for a few years every day in a leather holster and its starting to show steel thru the finish around the edges. especially up near the muzzle. i think it gives character, and as you put it looks used.
the gun is gunna be harder that the plastic holster id imagine. ive been eyeing a carry model serpa at the local shop

BayAreaShooter
04-11-2011, 3:31 PM
My Serpa started wearing the finish off my Beretta 92 after a few days.

Dang that sucks. Were you doing a lot of drawing and re holstering.

lgm118icbm
04-11-2011, 6:08 PM
Dang that sucks. Were you doing a lot of drawing and re holstering.

Nope, not at all actually. I think it is just that the Beretta has more sharp body lines and a thinner, less durable finish than a Glock.

USMC VET
04-11-2011, 7:09 PM
Mine has a little wear on my xd45 service after about 2 months of wearing it around the house every night, but im not worried. I used the belt holster for a month and didnt mind it but honestly wont look back after switching to the paddle....way awesome!!

beaster
04-11-2011, 7:12 PM
Interesting vid on why you might not want a paddle holster:
oDeKtgkZKmQ

USMC VET
04-11-2011, 7:21 PM
video has been disabled

Slim///
04-11-2011, 7:22 PM
[youtube]oDeKtgkZKmQ[youtube]That's why I have the belt attachement on.

HAVOC5150
04-11-2011, 7:28 PM
Haven't had an issue with it wearing on my Glock, my Kimber is another story though. Its wearing the finish off on the slide.....just gives me a reason to have it cerakoted though.

ironcross
04-11-2011, 9:33 PM
I've noticed no wear on my Glock.

I've used it enough to gain holster wear. But nothing that didn't wipe off.

Dan-0-
04-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Sometimes you can get a little wear if you are training in dusty conditions. I've heard that sometimes the dirt can get embedded in the plastics or kydex and can continue to wear the finish, but that's just an excuse to get it recoated with something tougher. Some of the finish has been worn off a couple of my guns, but as some have mentioned already I don't mind it. It gives them character.
I tried to post a pic from my phone, but can't do it. Maybe later.

G1500
04-11-2011, 11:14 PM
video has been disabled

The video depicts someone breaking the holster off of the guy's belt paddle. I don't remember the make of the holster.

There is also a video of a 1911 stuck in one, loaded, and unable to be removed.

ChrisO
04-12-2011, 12:11 AM
oDeKtgkZKmQ

Cheap holster. That force or stress would basically be on the same point of a serpa belt holster as well on the mounting points.

G1500
04-12-2011, 12:22 AM
The fat dude in the video actually looks pissed because his friend broke his holster. lol

ironcross
04-12-2011, 12:45 AM
Sometimes you can get a little wear if you are training in dusty conditions. I've heard that sometimes the dirt can get embedded in the plastics or kydex and can continue to wear the finish, but that's just an excuse to get it recoated with something tougher. Some of the finish has been worn off a couple of my guns, but as some have mentioned already I don't mind it. It gives them character.
I tried to post a pic from my phone, but can't do it. Maybe later.

That is true, someone got some sticky substance in the hood spring on my Duty LvL 3:mad:. Gummed up real bad there the it took like 40 secs for the hood to open. Some 90% alcohol and clp cleaning it nice.

BayAreaShooter
04-12-2011, 11:48 AM
I have seen that video few times in the past. I believe it was a Fobus holster.

esskay
04-12-2011, 11:11 PM
Personally I wouldn't worry about it too much because I like some good honest wear on hard use weapons... but here's a Glock 19 that I had in a Serpa during a carbine class a couple years ago. After a bunch of urban prone/rolling around in gritty ground cover, I could barely unholster the weapon with all the crap collected & jammed up in the holster! Check out the pic, the slide's finish was in pretty good condition prior to the class! :D

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/1760/20090311img3623g19.jpg

OpticsPlanet
04-13-2011, 9:22 AM
If you have excessive movement of the gun, head to the Home Depot. They sell precut self-adhesive velcro squares, 1". Take the loop piece (the soft surface) and affix to the inside of the holster, making sure not to interfere with the locking mechanism. I've done this on a couple of Serpa CQC holsters, and it solved my problem. Mine is affixed so that it touches the left side of the slide.

Also, I've experienced no wear issues.

Since you have a Glock, you might also want to take a look at 5.11's Thumbdrive holster - it addresses some folks concerns about having to use your trigger finger to release the gun.
http://images1.opticsplanet.com/180-180-ffffff/opplanet-5-11-tactical-thumbdrive-holsters.png

5.11 has some video of it in action:
http://www.511tactical.com/videoplayer.html?movie=ThumbdriveHolster&pn=5.11%20Tactical%20Thumbdrive%20Holster&width=800&pl=

Comes with both belt loop and padle, like the Serpa, and a removable "chopblock" to prevent the gun being taken from the front.

Mark H.

BayAreaShooter
04-13-2011, 11:20 AM
If you have excessive movement of the gun, head to the Home Depot. They sell precut self-adhesive velcro squares, 1". Take the loop piece (the soft surface) and affix to the inside of the holster, making sure not to interfere with the locking mechanism. I've done this on a couple of Serpa CQC holsters, and it solved my problem. Mine is affixed so that it touches the left side of the slide.

Also, I've experienced no wear issues.

Since you have a Glock, you might also want to take a look at 5.11's Thumbdrive holster - it addresses some folks concerns about having to use your trigger finger to release the gun.
http://images1.opticsplanet.com/180-180-ffffff/opplanet-5-11-tactical-thumbdrive-holsters.png

5.11 has some video of it in action:
http://www.511tactical.com/videoplayer.html?movie=ThumbdriveHolster&pn=5.11%20Tactical%20Thumbdrive%20Holster&width=800&pl=

Comes with both belt loop and padle, like the Serpa, and a removable "chopblock" to prevent the gun being taken from the front.

Mark H.

I think I actually have some extra Velcro laying around. Thanks for the heads up. Those 5.11 holsters look very durable and well made. I will definitely check them out.

fuenstock
04-14-2011, 9:34 AM
I just picked up a Serpa for my Glock 19, is there anyway to make the finger release easier to release? Maybe it just needs some use? Also if I'm wearing it on my right side and look down into the holster, inside upper right side of holster has a small bump the rubs the top right side of Glock slide. Is this suppossed to be there or maybe its just left over extra material from molding? Thinking I should sand it down? Other than that it seems like a great holster.

247Nino
05-01-2011, 6:40 AM
I was hanging out at a friend's shop and a customer, KIMBALL(sp), was complaining to me about how a lined holster wore down the finish on his Glock 17. He said GLOCKS ARE THE BEST GUN EVAR and Serpas are the way to go. I have not owned a Serpa but I prefer Safariland ALS, the thumb release feels more natural to me. No wear yet, just under 6 months.

LBDamned
05-01-2011, 8:59 PM
I use CQC Serpa for M&P .45 - many draws and no wear... I really like the holster.

Another to consider with very similar attributes is iTAC - it has the same type of mechanism/button (I use it far Taurus 24/7 - no wear with this one either) here's the Glock version for OP: http://itacdefense.com/ShowProducts.aspx?CategoryID=147 ... but the Serpa is more intuitive, I prefer it.

JHermsen
05-02-2011, 2:57 PM
They do wear a bit. Actually I was impressed at how fast the stainless slide of my SIG wore in the contact spots with the holster. I don't think I use it inordinately either; some carry and matches once a week.

ThePhantomGT
05-16-2011, 3:23 PM
I have a serpa cqc and after a few months it started messing with the finish on my USPc slide. Was mostly wearing it around the house not a lot of drawing and re-holstering. Here's a crappy cellphone pic of the left side of the slide(the right side has some rub marks as well but are too small to photograph)
http://www.coachingtoexcellence.com/Rynoa/IMG_0176.JPG