PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it to get a F.A. BCG

lower lover
04-08-2011, 6:51 PM
I'm looking into building a new upper I have saved up a lot, so money is not a problem I was wondering if a F.A. BCG is worth the money, and which one might be the best?

Thanks for any help

The Director
04-08-2011, 6:58 PM
Not really. If you want something fancy go for a Fail Zero or any other good BCG (Daniel Defense, etc).

FA BCG doesn't really have any advantages and last I checked doesn't cost particularly more than semi.

lower lover
04-08-2011, 7:03 PM
I'm not to worried about fancy I would like to build the best and highest quality upper possible.

Not really. If you want something fancy go for a Fail Zero or any other good BCG (Daniel Defense, etc).

FA BCG doesn't really have any advantages and last I checked doesn't cost particularly more than semi.

pyro3k2
04-08-2011, 7:08 PM
If you have a carbine gas system I would go for the F.A. BCG if not then just get one from a good manf.

Paul_R
04-08-2011, 7:11 PM
Unless I'm mistaken FA bolts have a little extra mass that functions to slow down cycling in FA mode. How that could be a factor in SA mode is beyond me.

The only other function I've heard of is that the extra mass also (allegedly) lessens recoil. Yes, apparently some people are concerned about .223 recoil......:rolleyes:

pyro3k2
04-08-2011, 7:16 PM
Unless I'm mistaken FA bolts have a little extra mass that functions to slow down cycling in FA mode. How that could be a factor in SA mode is beyond me.

The only other function I've heard of is that the extra mass also (allegedly) lessens recoil. Yes, apparently some people are concerned about .223 recoil......:rolleyes:

the idea in a carbine gas system is to help slow the bolt down and increase the dwell time so you can help avoid some of the problems with a shorter, out of timed gas system. This and a heavy buffer usually do the trick, but in a rifle system it really doesn't matter to much unless your a high volume bump fire type of shooter or you own an AR with a 3rd bar.

Don29palms
04-08-2011, 7:27 PM
Addax enhanced Chrome FA Bolt Carrier Group (http://www.adxtactical.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1509&idcategory=176)

http://www.adxtactical.com/store/pc/catalog/img_0208_2317_general.jpg

themailman
04-08-2011, 7:39 PM
I would buy a heavier buffer if I got the S/A BCG, but I run an H2 with an FA so either way....you catch my drift.

FeuerFrei
04-08-2011, 8:00 PM
I'm looking into building a new upper I have saved up a lot, so money is not a problem I was wondering if a F.A. BCG is worth the money, and which one might be the best?

Thanks for any help

I can say that I ran FA carriers only because of timing/over-pressured gas systems. Using FA carrier, H, H2, H3 buffers and different spring weights cured the symptoms. Not the cause of over-pressured rifle.
So to answer your question. It will not make a difference if your rifle is correctly built. FA or SA.
You could be pro-active and get one now. It wouldn't hurt.
Quality is precision and reliability.
I have run Rock River, Fail Zero, BCM bolt carrier groups and have not had a mechanical problem except gas rings. (they tend to wear).
Fail Zero is now somewhere south of 8 thousand rounds and keeps on going. No lube/grease on carrier. It also cleans up easy.
I think you will be well off if you choose a name brand.
$130 - $250 is a good range to spend for a good BCG.
Good luck.