PDA

View Full Version : My New Ruger Sr-556

biggalvan1
04-08-2011, 5:55 PM
Hello all im a noob yes i know. But ive been a lurker for a bit . I recently took my new ruger sr556 out to the range for a lil break in . I was shooting some brass american tactical 5.56 65 gr no prob .Then i tried some cheap tula i got at wallys and the steel case got stuck. I also tried some wolf it shot some but the cases kept getting stuck . The extractor was ripping the lip of the steel case off. Im wandering if its just the steel case ? Just went out and got 400 rnds of federal american eagle brass hopefully they work fine.

NorCalRedneck
04-08-2011, 6:02 PM
I primarily shoot Tula out of my AR and every few hundred rounds I will get a stuck case. I figure its just because its cheap ammo so I don't expect perfection. But it sounds like yours is doing it more than every few hundred rounds. Some guns just don't like Russian ammo.

missiontrails
04-08-2011, 6:04 PM
Were you running on gas setting 2? Try setting #3 with that ammo.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd451/dehlers1/aff86bcc.jpg

biggalvan1
04-08-2011, 6:13 PM
Yes i was on setting 2. Will try setting 3 next trip I wander why the brass had no problem?

missiontrails
04-08-2011, 6:22 PM
Refer to the thread I started here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=418056

Droppin Deuces
04-08-2011, 6:37 PM
Should have bought an Adams Arms...

missiontrails
04-08-2011, 6:44 PM
Should have bought an Adams Arms...

Every Magazine out there has given the SR-556 cudos... That Adams looks decent, but its still not a factory platform rifle, it's an adapter kit build. Not a knock on it, just sayin.....

Droppin Deuces
04-08-2011, 6:48 PM
Every Magazine out there has given the SR-556 cudos... That Adams looks decent, but its still not a factory platform rifle, it's an adapter kit build. Not a knock on it, just sayin.....

I don't think you even know what you're talking about when you say "factory platform." What does that even mean? What's different about the "Ruger platform?"

I think the Koolaid you're drinking is tainted.

Knife Edge
04-08-2011, 6:53 PM
Id ditch the F'in Tula.

missiontrails
04-08-2011, 6:53 PM
I don't think you even know what you're talking about when you say "factory platform." What does that even mean? What's different about the "Ruger platform?"

I think the Koolaid you're drinking is tainted.

It's called a manufacturer actually designing a COMPLETE rifle, mass marketing it, which is what makes publications take an interest in reviewing it. Grow up. Adams is a conversion/build kit. I said it looks decent enough, but they don't market a complete weapon system, right? That's what I thought.

Droppin Deuces
04-08-2011, 6:58 PM
It's called a manufacturer actually designing a COMPLETE rifle, mass marketing it, which is what makes publications take an interest in reviewing it. Grow up. Adams is a conversion/build kit. I said it looks decent enough, but they don't market a complete weapon system, right? That's what I thought.

So you're saying they designed more than just the piston system and BCG? Are you saying that i couldn't drop an Adams Arms upper on the Ruger lower? or that I couldn't drop the Ruger upper on an LMT or LaRue lower?
Is there something different about how the systems are installed? How they work? I mean aside from the fact that the Adams Arms systems does actually work?
Seriously, I don't think you have an understanding that Ruger has done nothing different than any other piston manufacturer except have a lower made with their name on it. The difference between their gun and the next piston gun is that it's a different piston design. That's it.

Alex M
04-08-2011, 7:01 PM
Congrats on your new rifle. I personally try not to buy really cheap ammo but I can understand why some can't resist.

BTW not to offend anyone, but do we really need anymore "you should have gotten an X as opposed to a Y" posts? That question is of course in general and not directed to anyone in particular.

killshot44
04-08-2011, 7:04 PM
Yes i was on setting 2. Will try setting 3 next trip I wander why the brass had no problem?

Because when fired brass expands against the chamber walls and then shrinks making extraction easy. Steel doesn't have the "springyness" that brass does.

backstrap
04-08-2011, 7:04 PM
Some guys can shoot it, some cant. It depends on the rifle. You decide whos gun is better. The rifle that can? or the rifle that cant?

rattlesnake_nm
04-08-2011, 7:05 PM
The ruger is heavy, and You can never run DI if shtf for years and there are no Ruger parts. And it is questionable if it will run anything other than brass ammo. Kool aid for sure. It's like when at a gunshop and the guy is telling a customer that a dpms is "what navy seals use".

missiontrails
04-08-2011, 7:08 PM
So you're saying they designed more than just the piston system and BCG? Are you saying that i couldn't drop an Adams Arms upper on the Ruger lower? or that I couldn't drop the Ruger upper on an LMT or LaRue lower?
Is there something different about how the systems are installed? How they work? I mean aside from the fact that the Adams Arms systems does actually work?
Seriously, I don't think you have an understanding that Ruger has done nothing different than any other piston manufacturer except have a lower made with their name on it.
Now you're just being stupid. Ruger is a complete weapon manufacturer, Adams is a SMALL kit/upper builder. Are you saying that Ruger just grabbed an existing piston kit and slapped it on a "Ruger" rollmarked lower? You are making a fool out of yourself. Ruger designed their OWN piston system from the ground up. You are very proud of your bolt on kit, aren't you? Like I said, I think the Adams kit is decent, but it's not a complete weapon platform/system. That's my point, and you are arguing something entirely different. Don't get me wrong, the SR-556 is just another weapon that i'm playing with, not my once in a lifetime purchase. Look at my iTrader, there are about 12 rifles there that I have owned, played with, and sold. LWRC, CMMG, NOVESKE, BCM, RUGER, WASR's, and many custom build combinations. I will buy a SCAR next... to enjoy for a while.

Droppin Deuces
04-08-2011, 7:09 PM
Now you're just being stupid. Ruger is a complete weapon manufacturer, Adams is a SMALL kit/upper builder. Are you saying that Ruger just grabbed an existing piston kit and slapped it on a "Ruger" rollmarked lower? You are making a fool out of yourself. Ruger designed their OWN piston system from the ground up. You are very proud of your bolt on kit, aren't you? Like I said, I think the Adams kit is decent, but it's not a complete weapon platform/system. That's my point, and you are arguing something entirely different. Don't get me wrong, the SR-556 is just another weapon that i'm playing with, not my once in a lifetime purchase. Look at my iTrader, there are about 12 rifles there that I have owned, played with, and sold. LWRC, CMMG, NOVESKE, BCM, RUGER, WASR's, and many custom build combinations. I will buy a SCAR next... to enjoy for a while.

Your reading comprehension is pretty sweet. I said that's ALL they designed. Now, are you saying that Adams Arms didn't design their own?

Droppin Deuces
04-08-2011, 7:12 PM
And for what it's worth, you couldn't put a gas tube in an Adams Arms upper receiver. Does that fit your description of "factory platform?"

missiontrails
04-08-2011, 7:12 PM
The ruger is heavy, and You can never run DI if shtf for years and there are no Ruger parts. And it is questionable if it will run anything other than brass ammo. Kool aid for sure. It's like when at a gunshop and the guy is telling a customer that a dpms is "what navy seals use".

The Ruger is heavy for sure, but I like the heavy profile fluted barrel, and the robust gas block. The SR-556C 14.5' is the only one of their uppers that is fluted... that's the one I have.

Ak707
04-08-2011, 7:13 PM
blah blah....get a life n quit hatin on other people for what they buy...
some of you people seriously need to quit trying to 1 up other people on knowledge of ARs, the **** gets real old

Ak707
04-08-2011, 7:16 PM
if everyone took the advise of half you douche bags we would only have BCM DI guns and LWRC piston guns

missiontrails
04-08-2011, 7:20 PM
Good info:

http://xcrforum.com/index.php?topic=7990.0

stix213
04-08-2011, 7:22 PM
My AR runs low power steel case russian ammo just fine, but just cause the SR 556 is known for having difficulty, and runs best with hotter brass cased ammo, it doesn't mean the rifle is a POS. Its a limitation to know about and deal with is all.

My vette runs like crap on low octane gas, and it isn't a POS either

missiontrails
04-08-2011, 7:22 PM
And for what it's worth, you couldn't put a gas tube in an Adams Arms upper receiver. Does that fit your description of "factory platform?"

Again, you're grasping for straws........ You know what I mean. Adam's DOES NOT MAKE A WEAPON, the make parts for weapons.

Droppin Deuces
04-08-2011, 7:34 PM
Again, you're grasping for straws........ You know what I mean. Adam's DOES NOT MAKE A WEAPON, the make parts for weapons.

No, I just think you really believe you have something truly different in your hands.
By your definition, Ruger did not make a complete weapon. They put some parts on a lower that someone else made with their name on it. Then they filled that lower with parts that someone else made. Including the stock assembly. Then they took an upper receiver that someone else made and put their parts in it to make a complete rifle.

Yeah, I see what you mean.

Basically, Adams Arms did the same thing, except they didn't waste their money or ask customer to waste theirs on having a novelty lower receiver made with the Adams Arms name on it.

You think the Ruger is something it isn't.

missiontrails
04-08-2011, 7:40 PM
No, I just think you really believe you have something truly different in your hands.
By your definition, Ruger did not make a complete weapon. They put some parts on a lower that someone else made with their name on it. Then they filled that lower with parts that someone else made. Including the stock assembly. Then they took an upper receiver that someone else made and put their parts in it to make a complete rifle.

Basically, Adams Arms did the same thing, except they didn't waste their money or ask customer to waste theirs on having a novelty lower receiver made with the Adams Arms name on it.

You think the Ruger is something it isn't.

LWRC does not make their lowers ......VLTOR makes their stocks
Noveske does not make their lowers......VLTOR makes their stocks
Ruger does not make their own lowers
S&W does not make their own lowers
CMMG does not make their own lowers
Spikes does not make their lowers
..there are more...

Your point is?

I guess I think ALL above are something they aren't also.

Droppin Deuces
04-08-2011, 7:46 PM
LWRC does not make their lowers ......VLTOR makes their stocks
Noveske does not make their lowers......VLTOR makes their stocks
Ruger does not make their own lowers
S&W does not make their own lowers
CMMG does not make their own lowers
..there are more...

Your point is?

I guess I think ALL above are something they aren't also.

This has clearly gone over your head.

missiontrails
04-08-2011, 7:50 PM
This has clearly gone over your head.

Ruger does not "MAKE" an entire AR, but they "MARKET" a complete AR.

Feel better?

Droppin Deuces
04-08-2011, 8:06 PM
Ruger does not "MAKE" an entire AR, but they "MARKET" a complete AR.

Feel better?

I'll feel better after I eat and catch a movie. See you fools later.

HKDoc
04-08-2011, 10:19 PM
Nice rifle! Cabelas just had a sale on 223. I got a case of pmc for 305 delivered.

You have invested a good sum of money on your rifle. You should use better ammo.

Scratch705
04-08-2011, 11:07 PM
to OP, your issue can be just that the steel casing hasn't fully "shrunk" to be pulled out, since steel is slower at contracting than brass. so in effect, the case is still expanded when the gun is trying to extract it. some feel this is an issue with the timing and you have to adjust for it (i dunno how to adjust but it was what i read in a thread on running steel-cased ammo on here).

another thing you can do is to clean out the chamber/bore before switching between steel and brass. this sometimes works in preventing the cases from sticking since there is less carbon buildup to stick on.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=413711&highlight=steel+cased+ammo
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=404731&highlight=steel+cased+ammo
2 threads about running steel cased ammo, and i'm sure there is more spread out everywhere.

biggalvan1
04-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks to all the constructive comments . And to all the non ruger lovers bah to you .:13: Ill be running the brass i got through it in a few weeks at lyttle creek if it works fine ill probably stick with brass . But hey i might try steel on setting 3 just to make sure .:whistling:

lincoln6echo
04-14-2011, 7:23 PM
I've had my SR556 for over a year now and probably about 700 rounds or so with pmc 55gr. It was failing to feed on the first round or so every mag except the one it came with. I even posted here to get some advice to figure out if it was a ammo issue, bb, mag, etc.

Turns out one of the feed ramps was slightly more narrow than the other and as a result the round on the left side of each mag would occasionally get stuck. Very very disappointed that the rifle would have left ruger with this level of QC. I spent $50 to have it polished down and now everything is fine. I could have sent it back to ruger but honestly the service I received when I contacted them was also disappointing.

It's not a bad rifle but this Sat will be my last time out with it, I'm going to sell it and get a Noveske... I'm ready for a quality DI rifle and a little less weight.