PDA

View Full Version : Nevada Woman Fights Gun Free College Zones

pitchbaby
04-08-2011, 4:06 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/04/08/opponents-gun-free-zones-universities-unlikely-hero-nevada-woman/

Just caught this story. Hope I'm not duping.

Dreaded Claymore
04-08-2011, 8:11 PM
Looks like a pretty good article. Let's hope the mainstream media picks it up.

nick
04-08-2011, 8:59 PM
Dr. Gregory Brown, professor of history at UNLV and vice president of the UNLV Faculty Alliance, points to studies that argue more guns on campus translates into more violence at school.

Does anyone know which studies those might be?

maddoggie13
04-08-2011, 9:00 PM
Sweet....

nick
04-08-2011, 9:01 PM
Nevada State Senator Michael Schneider, D-Las Vegas, fears guns in the hands of students will be disastrous.

"They are not trained professionals," Schneider said. "By the time any student could get a gun, when they were attacked by someone else with a gun if they went for their gun, it would be a bad outcome."

And the usual drivel - "they're not trained professionals..."

Mr. Burns
04-08-2011, 9:19 PM
I met her dad at an IDPA shoot. He was sharing the story to get support for the bill. I hope it passes.

C&Rtrader
04-08-2011, 9:44 PM
that takes a LOT of guts to come forward. Good for her.

gunsmith
04-09-2011, 10:10 AM
God bless her

Werewolf1021
04-09-2011, 12:27 PM
As much as I detest what happened to this woman, she is exactly the type of person who needs to come out and support the CCW initiatives.

Look at Susana Hupp and how she helped changed Texas law.

These type of people are politician's nightmares.

"Say Senator, you are actively against this woman's right to defend herself from a rapist? Good luck in the next election."

santacruzstefan
04-09-2011, 12:46 PM
I wonder if CGF or CRPA would take on the university property laws in our state? I can't stand the fact that I cannot live in campus housing (that is not actually on the campus), and have my guns at the same time.

Uriah02
04-09-2011, 1:06 PM
I wonder if CGF or CRPA would take on the university property laws in our state? I can't stand the fact that I cannot live in campus housing (that is not actually on the campus), and have my guns at the same time.

I think we are a ways away from that... campus carry is starting to come around nationwide in shall issue states, first we need to be able to carry before we can fight where we carry.

bomb_on_bus
04-09-2011, 1:54 PM
I would hope that this bill would have a snow balls chance in hell to pass but I would be unrealistic in giving the bill as good a chance as that.

The media would spin the story to no end. What is needed is for a campus to create a campus gun club that promotes safety, teaches the fundamentals, and addresses all the FUD by providing free firearms training to anyone that is willing to participate through a course. It would be a good way to get rid of a lot of the negativity about firearms by ending it at the source. From there the idea of this bill would have at least more campus support and the public would be more willing to support the idea as they would at least understand there would be increased competencies reguarding firearm usage within the campus student population.

mag360
04-15-2011, 5:30 AM
I would hope that this bill would have a snow balls chance in hell to pass but I would be unrealistic in giving the bill as good a chance as that.

The media would spin the story to no end. What is needed is for a campus to create a campus gun club that promotes safety, teaches the fundamentals, and addresses all the FUD by providing free firearms training to anyone that is willing to participate through a course. It would be a good way to get rid of a lot of the negativity about firearms by ending it at the source. From there the idea of this bill would have at least more campus support and the public would be more willing to support the idea as they would at least understand there would be increased competencies reguarding firearm usage within the campus student population.

lets work with the students to get this started state-wide. I'd be willing to help in the Sacramento region.

repubconserv
04-15-2011, 8:35 AM
Does anyone know which studies those might be?

you know.... all the studies out there.... I don't have time to list them all, there are so many.... and if you haven't heard of them, well you're just ignorant. :rolleyes:

Super Spy
04-15-2011, 9:08 AM
I believe if I had a CCW (Wishful thinking at this point) I could carry on campus as that is an exemption.

The politicians argument is that if some murderous b@stard is going around shooting people, and I go for my gun, I'll get shot? Wont I get shot anyways? If he shoots someone else within earshot first, I'll hear it and be ready for him. Time to go Brady Bashing.....Paging Oak.

Stonewalker
04-15-2011, 9:15 AM
Looks like a pretty good article. Let's hope the mainstream media picks it up.

You are kidding right? It's Foxnews.com. The story has been recommended 26,000 times on facebook. This is as mainstream media as it gets. I think what you mean is "I hope other news outlets pick it up".

That being said, it is a great article and a chilling story.
In October of 2007, while walking to her car after a night class, Collins was grabbed from behind in a university parking garage less than 300 yards from a campus police office. The school's "gun-free" designation meant nothing to James Biela, a serial rapist with a gun of his own, who saw Collins as an easy target. "He put a firearm to my temple," she recounted, "clocked off the safety, and told me not to say anything, before he raped me."

It always seems to happen in parking garages. Sac State had 8 sexual assaults last year, many of them in the parking garages.

OleCuss
04-15-2011, 9:54 AM
We need Chester confirmed by SCOTUS. Then you can hope to have the GFSZ's start to go away - both at the state and the federal levels.

Until then, I doubt such legislation will be implemented. There really are good reasons to be a little antsy about guns on campus (nothing that can't be remedied) so until there is case law that requires accomodation I don't think we'll have success in this kind of endeavor.

Not sure that a gun in a concealed or open holster would have helped her. Grabbed from behind can be difficult to solve with a firearm. Still, if she could have fought him off of her for a few seconds (maybe a stomp on his foot, smack the back of her head into his nose, elbow to the chest, and hopefully a knee to the groin?), a pistol would have been very helpful.

Rapists disgust me. About the only thing I hate more are pedophilic rapists (still rapists). I'd like a punishment system for rapists which would make them beg for the death penalty.

nick
04-15-2011, 10:17 AM
you know.... all the studies out there.... I don't have time to list them all, there are so many.... and if you haven't heard of them, well you're just ignorant. :rolleyes:

Well, I try to keep track of the anti studies, and I haven't seen any dealing with guns on campus. Which might mean just that - I haven't seen them, but if there really aren't any, I'd like to have that confirmed for the future debates. If those studies do exist, I'd like to read them and see how credible they are.

nick
04-15-2011, 10:19 AM
We need Chester confirmed by SCOTUS. Then you can hope to have the GFSZ's start to go away - both at the state and the federal levels.

Until then, I doubt such legislation will be implemented. There really are good reasons to be a little antsy about guns on campus (nothing that can't be remedied) so until there is case law that requires accomodation I don't think we'll have success in this kind of endeavor.

Not sure that a gun in a concealed or open holster would have helped her. Grabbed from behind can be difficult to solve with a firearm. Still, if she could have fought him off of her for a few seconds (maybe a stomp on his foot, smack the back of her head into his nose, elbow to the chest, and hopefully a knee to the groin?), a pistol would have been very helpful.

Rapists disgust me. About the only thing I hate more are pedophilic rapists (still rapists). I'd like a punishment system for rapists which would make them beg for the death penalty.

It might not have mattered for some, it might've mattered in some other cases. It takes one well-placed shot to stop a serial rapist's "career".

The fact that he can get shot is also a deterrent to wannabe rapists. Rape is usually about establishing one's power and dominance. As such, the kind of people who need to feel powerful so badly that they go and rape somebody who's weaker are, by definition, cowards, and thus are likely to be deterred by fear. It might not apply to all of them, but it applies to enough of them to matter.