PDA

View Full Version : Few AR noob questions

Dark Mod
04-08-2011, 2:22 PM
So im looking into getting an AR, i am actually pretty familiar with the firearm even though ive never owned a civillian model. so on to the questions:

1. Why all this talk about "building" an AR. I see a ton of them in every gunshop so its not like you cant buy one. Is it cheaper?

2. If your "building" one what parts would you have to FFL? im sure you can get a lower reciever, stocks, sights, etc. straight through the mail right? does that mean you buy a "kit" and just FFL an upper reciever?

West9319
04-08-2011, 2:25 PM
1. Its cheaper for the most par, and funner. Plus you learn alot more.
2. The lower is the only thing that needs an ffl.

Josh3239
04-08-2011, 2:29 PM
1) It can be but in most cases it is not cheaper. People build them because they have make it meet their exact needs. Some people are are bench shooters, others may compete, some have theirs set up for home defense or Law Enforcement needs and some just build it how they want it.

For instance, I went with the TRX Extreme handguards because of how thin and lightweight they are. I went with the MOE buttstock because of how lightweight it is. I went with a left side charging upper receiver because I like the sleekness of it and I belieeve it is faster and more ergonomic to work the charging handle.

Most of all it is fun and you literally learn about it inside and out.

2) No an lower must be purchased at or transferred through an FFL. Unless you buy what is called an 80%, which an unfinished receiver, and finish it yourself. Everything else can be mailed to your door.

Baconator
04-08-2011, 2:30 PM
I built mine so I would know all about the parts and pieces that went into it in the event that something broke.

Dark Mod
04-08-2011, 2:33 PM
1)
2) No an lower must be purchased at or transferred through an FFL. Unless you buy what is called an 80%, which an unfinished receiver, and finish it yourself. Everything else can be mailed to your door.

So i can get a complete AR mailed to my door by buying an %80 lower receiver and buying the rest of the parts and putting it together myself?

Cutting out the FFL will save about $100

Josh3239
04-08-2011, 2:38 PM
Yes, you could substitute a complete lower receiver for an 80% and have everything sent to your door. Be advised that the picture below in an 80% receiver, amongst other things you must mill open the pocket for the fire control group. If you cannot do that you'll have to find an FFL to transfer a complete lower.

http://www.tacticalmachining.com/images/372_247_80-lower.jpg

rareair
04-08-2011, 2:43 PM
Be advised that the picture below in an 80% receiver....
http://www.tacticalmachining.com/images/372_247_80-lower.jpg

Here's what a "real" 80% lower looks like ;)
http://quentin-laser.com/store/images/80%20001111.jpg

BDH
04-08-2011, 2:47 PM
Keep in mind, the 80% lower will require machine work to complete...drilling of holes, finishing, etc. You don't just put it together when you get it. In my opinion buy the lower, they are not that expensive. Do it the right way. You will also need tools to put your upper together, so it may be easier for someone else to do it for you. In the case of an 80% lower, you'll need a jig (correct me if wrong) for hole locations etc.

RifleGear isn't too far from you in Fountain Valley, stopped in there Tuesday. Great group of people. They also have plenty on the walls so you can get some ideas. Tustin should have someone near as well, but I'm not familiar with that area. I bought an upper and a gas block from JD Machine Tech in SD and they put the bbl and gas block on at no cost. There are lots of ways to build an AR. Just do your homework and you'll have fun.
Bruce

Here's a link to 80% upper info
http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-lower-receiver/

stix213
04-08-2011, 3:33 PM
1. Why all this talk about "building" an AR. I see a ton of them in every gunshop so its not like you cant buy one. Is it cheaper?

Seeing AR's in gunshops regularly is a relatively new development. This was not the case when OLL's kicked off. The original method where you build your own has kinda stuck around.

If you build one then every part is one you chose. There is a certain pride in having something you assembled yourself, and its exactly the way you wanted it to feel and look. If you don't care too much for that, and aren't much of a tinkerer, then by all means buy a completed rifle.

2. If your "building" one what parts would you have to FFL? im sure you can get a lower reciever, stocks, sights, etc. straight through the mail right? does that mean you buy a "kit" and just FFL an upper reciever?

Only the stripped lower receiver at minimum needs to go through an FFL. Everything else can be bought anywhere and shipped directly to you.