PDA

View Full Version : Legal Switchblades for Handicapped

LockJaw
04-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Maine has just passed a bill legalizing switchblades for one armed people. Could this be the cracked door that allows handicapped and elderly gun owners to challenge gun laws restricting their ability to protect themselves? My wife would love to see more options for left handed semi autos in CA.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110407/od_nm/us_maine_switchblades

"CONWAY, Massachusetts (Reuters) Maine lawmakers on Wednesday approved legalizing switchblades for people with one arm, moving close to becoming the first state to make such an exception to laws that ban use of the spring-action knives.
Backers of the measure say legalizing switchblades would eliminate a need for one-armed people to be forced to open folding knives with their teeth in emergencies.
The bill to allow amputees and other one-armed people to carry the quick-opening knives cleared Maine's Senate on Wednesday after passing the House on Tuesday, Senate officials said.
Until now, Maine banned the use of switchblades by anyone."

What I did not realize is that Federal law has no restriction on switchblades (under 3 inch blades) use by one armed people on Federal property.

I will be interested to see if these types of laws start to multiply in the near future.

BayAreaShooter
04-08-2011, 1:55 PM
Thats pretty cool. I doubt it will change anything (In California) regarding elderly being able to CCW but we can only hope. Just FYI any switchblade with a blade length of 1.9" or smaller is perfectly legal in California.

Rekrab
04-08-2011, 4:43 PM
I'm kinda surprised this didn't get beaten with the logic of "If they only have one hand they can carry a fixed blade."

I mean, I'm not a knife fighter(but my boss is) so I may be missing something here, but wouldn't a fixed blade be better for someone with one arm?

Josh3239
04-08-2011, 5:14 PM
Not just that but the thumb stud style knives open just as fast as the switchblades. Don't get me wrong, making switchblades illegal is stupid. But fixed blades and thumb stud style openers are just as fast to deploy.

I'm kinda surprised this didn't get beaten with the logic of "If they only have one hand they can carry a fixed blade."

I mean, I'm not a knife fighter(but my boss is) so I may be missing something here, but wouldn't a fixed blade be better for someone with one arm?