PDA

View Full Version : Question on the legality of M-18 fully functional Smoke grenades in CA

transsol
04-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Is it legal to purchase, or sell, or to own M18 fully functional smoke grenades in CA? I am not up to date with these things.

If yes, anybody know where can I find a few to buy, (for a re-enactment). What would be a reasonable price to pay for one?:confused:

Is it legal to ship? (probably not...)

I want the original real item, not a replica or an inert empty canister, and I don't want to even try to manufacture my own smoke either.

Thanks,

[I know all the caveats about their dangers, about the heat they generate and about setting the vegetation etc on fire. As a medic, I have used them in the military years ago to signal for the helo medevac LZ,, so I am very familiar with them. So please, spare me the "be careful with them" soapbox.]

Saigon1965
04-08-2011, 12:40 PM
An older thread but have some info on there for you -

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=163874

AaronHorrocks
04-08-2011, 1:07 PM
M-18 Smoke Grenades are getting so expensive that they're at a novelty price. If you're going to be using them at a vietnam reenactment, you sure as heck better forward that information over to me... I collect and restore vietnam era military vehicles, along with korea and cold war.

transsol
04-08-2011, 3:39 PM
An older thread but have some info on there for you -

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=163874

Thanks Saigon but that thread didn't really answer my questions throughly as it got hijacked with a long smartass discussions about grenade launchers, then at the end it didn't backup the answers given.
Even the links provided do not sell any M18 smoke grenades, (wince....or shall we call them more politically correctly, "smoke distress signalers". Whatever....I need some real M18s, not any replicas or aftermarket wimpy stuff.

So I I am still wondering, is it legal to buy/sell/ and ship? And how much? Anybody have ANY idea?

Thanks.

transsol
04-08-2011, 3:44 PM
<<<<....M-18 Smoke Grenades are getting so expensive that they're at a novelty price. ....>>>

Hey AAron:
If you say "....they are getting expensive..", you must have an idea how expensive. Put a number to it, even if approximate. How expensive are they? I would like to get an idea.
And do you know where they can be purchased?

I understand that M18s were not only used in Vietnam but they are still being used currently by the military? correct?

Thanks,