PDA

View Full Version : Dry firing Winchester 30-30 lever gun ok?

Untamed1972
04-08-2011, 6:37 AM
Asking this question for a friend:

I know that it's fine to dry fire most modern firearms, but that some older ones, or older designs it was not recommended.

Would a reproduction Wichester 30-30 lever gun be ok to fire w/o snap-caps?

swifty
04-08-2011, 7:19 AM
Typically you are fine dry firing your Winchester. You don't give the era that it was manufactured but a few pulls of the trigger should be OK. Snap caps on an older rifle would be preferable.

Wicked Pete
04-08-2011, 10:34 AM
I've seen this subject a few times. How many dry fires are we talking about? A few when cleaning? Or, all day long while watching the tube?

Most center fire rifles are tough and it won't hurt. But all day....maybe.

David
04-08-2011, 11:12 AM
I would not do it. I did a trigger job on a near new Win 94, snapped it a few times, and the tip of the firing pin fell off. I've also had the hammer spur fall off an S&W k-38 that I dry fired a many times without anything to soften the blow. I've also seen a number of 1911's with the firing pin jammed forward, sometimes enlarging the hole in the breechface, and usually allowing the firing pin stop to fall down, or even off...not a good thing.
While I certainly believe in dry firing I rarely do it without some kind of protection. Use snap caps, or empty cases, changing them regularly as their protection doesn't last.
On 1911's I always replace the firing pin spring with an extra power version. I also cut a peice of leather to fit against the firing pin stop and snap away.
My one exception is on a new gun. I'll snap it without protection for awhile because I want to know that there are no faulty parts.

Untamed1972
04-08-2011, 12:26 PM
I ask because I've been told in the past that modern firearms with fre floating firing pins are ok to dry fire but some revolvers / hammer fired firearms and such are not adivsable to dry fire at all or excessively. So I wasn't sure where the winchester would fall into that since I'm not at all familiar with the mechanics of that rifle.

I will recommend snap-caps to my friend.