PDA

View Full Version : How much would you pay for Left hand charging handle AK/Saiga/PSL conversion

kel-tec-innovations
04-08-2011, 3:44 AM
***UPDATE****
Service is available CLICK HERE >>>>> http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=425481

Thanks to all that answered my question on the thread.

Is anyone interested in having their AK converted to left side charging handle?

I just got mine done. I got fed up waiting for the dust cover charging handle news from "lastroundholdopenak47.com" and would never spend $250 on AKlightning handle just to get my handle to the left. I talked to my Retired Air Force Reserve machinist to offer this service to Calgun members.

I want to know how much are you willing to pay for
-Labor
-New charging handle like the one pictured welded on
-Slotting your dust cover
-Plus shipping back with USPS Priority mail 2-3 days

Just taking a survey so we know if we can offer this service or not and at a fair price. Keep in mind the AK Lightning bolt is $250
It won't cost $250. Probably at $100 or less

This is very similar to the AK Lightning Bolt on video just to show you left hand functions.
CShqxfgsCxE

Thanks, you can PM or reply to thread with price you'd pay i'll keep an eye out on the thread. After survey i'll post up service on Market under Commercial sales.

I will try to do a range report on video when I can go to a range.

Ignore the orange gasket stuff, experimenting. The pictures are prototype on the left hand charging handle conversion and dust cover slotted. (no paint added, just finished product.)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/rionhosaki/Calguns/IMG_1477.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/rionhosaki/Calguns/IMG_1478.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/rionhosaki/Calguns/IMG_1483.jpg

crunchy53
04-08-2011, 4:23 AM
how many rounds have you fired after the install?

drunktank
04-08-2011, 6:51 AM
$100. May sound low to some but I think it's kind of high already at 100. (I work with tools and machinery so). Good luck I hope you guys make some decent cash out of this!

voiceoftheright
04-08-2011, 7:37 AM
I looked at the Lightning Bolt and like the concept for sure, your's is better if the price is right. The reason I overruled the idea for myself is what's the point if you are using a bullet button (which I am)? Unless you've mastered the reload with a tool and not fumbling with magazines or removing your hand from the pistol grip, it really doesn't make sense (to me). Now, for those going featureless, it may be a really hot item. If I was in a free state I would get it done for sure.

DREADNOUGHT78
04-08-2011, 7:43 AM
I did my own ambi charging handles too. I used HK cocking levers.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/detailed_inc/PIC4.jpg
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/detailed_inc/PIC3.jpg
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/detailed_inc/GetAttachment.jpg

s30
04-08-2011, 8:12 AM
I guess it depends on the finished product? I am assuming you are providing the charging handle, but what about the finish on the dust cover and bolt after cutting and grinding?

kel-tec-innovations
04-08-2011, 1:29 PM
how many rounds have you fired after the install?

Just finished this, have not fired it. Its rock hard. I tried banging the handle and its solid. If your concern of the handle strength we can weld your original handle to the left side.

The weld is done by a professional Air Force Reserve machinist.

Josh3239
04-08-2011, 1:33 PM
I've been very intersted in that for a long time, my only concern that I haven't really heard answered is having that cycling handle go back and forth in front of your face or possibly hit you in the face.

Kel-Tec-Innovations, I would be very interested in a range report.

kel-tec-innovations
04-08-2011, 1:33 PM
I guess it depends on the finished product? I am assuming you are providing the charging handle, but what about the finish on the dust cover and bolt after cutting and grinding?

I thought about just buying carriers weld them on and sell them, but every AK variant is a little different and the coloration etc. So I prefer having customer send in their carriers. As for the finish since every AK has different color variation unless its just plain black we can paint it black. The one pictured is just a finished prototype with no new paint added

And Yes we can provide the pictured charging handle or use the existing charging handle on right side .

kel-tec-innovations
04-08-2011, 1:40 PM
I've been very intersted in that for a long time, my only concern that I haven't really heard answered is having that cycling handle go back and forth in front of your face or possibly hit you in the face.

Kel-Tec-Innovations, I would be very interested in a range report.

Unless your running a AK bullpup i don't see how when your cheek is on the stock that your face would be struck by the charging handle. I measured a 6 inch distance from the charging handle fully cocked back from my face cheek welded on the stock.

His face looks okay.

CShqxfgsCxE&

kel-tec-innovations
04-08-2011, 1:50 PM
I looked at the Lightning Bolt and like the concept for sure, your's is better if the price is right. The reason I overruled the idea for myself is what's the point if you are using a bullet button (which I am)? Unless you've mastered the reload with a tool and not fumbling with magazines or removing your hand from the pistol grip, it really doesn't make sense (to me). Now, for those going featureless, it may be a really hot item. If I was in a free state I would get it done for sure.

I would agree, if you have a bullet button not worth it. If I owned a bullet button gun its nothing but a bench gun. I can't run and gun or use it tactically. Featureless is the way to go.

$100. May sound low to some but I think it's kind of high already at 100. (I work with tools and machinery so). Good luck I hope you guys make some decent cash out of this!

I'm sure we can do below $100. Its more like a service to help out Calguns AK fan. Not planning to make much of anything. Just enough to cover gas, parts and labor and shipping.

salazar44
04-08-2011, 2:11 PM
I think its pretty cool. But you are right. $100 is not exactly making a buck off of it. This isnt china and time is money. I think the work and time going into it is worth more than $100, but then you run into the issue if people will do it.

People are charging $45 for a piece of treated kydex... there is a considerable amount of work that goes into this type of job. you will also have those that expect near perfection and they will complain cuz a weld is not pretty enough.

Good luck... I like it.

emptybottle151
04-08-2011, 2:48 PM
Do it to a saiga

Shady
04-08-2011, 2:50 PM
there is a guy on gb that sells them w/ topcover for 75 $

joelukehart
04-09-2011, 12:15 AM
I'm a southpaw so I will stick with my right side charging handle. I think Kalashnikov should have designed the ak with an ambi charging handle and safety to begin with. I guess that is why the Galil is a better AK. Either way I admire your ingenuity.

RobT2K
04-09-2011, 7:45 AM
I'd pay around $80 for this, looks like a great improvement.

kel-tec-innovations
04-09-2011, 5:24 PM
there is a guy on gb that sells them w/ topcover for 75 $

Thats a great deal. Not sure how he even makes anything at all. Labor is around $60-$65/hr. slotting dust cover and welding charging handle. , Charging handle is approx. $10-20. Dust cover ranges from $10-$20 and carrier with gas piston can range from $30-$70. At $75 practically giving them away.

I guess my service will be for saiga's, AK74's, and PSL. What I plan to charge isn't going to make much of anything. I'll be bringing the carriers and handles to the machinist who charges labor cost and i'm just offering the service to bring to machinist. Still need money to cover my gas and charging handles so I won't be able to beat $75 but would be under $100

kel-tec-innovations
04-09-2011, 5:29 PM
I'd pay around $80 for this, looks like a great improvement.

$80 is do able for just switching the existing handle to the left side and slotting the dust cover.

A new charging handle like the one pictured at top of thread is about $20-$25

I'll talk to the machinist and once everything is ready to go I'll post a service ad on marketplace under commercial sales & good deals

Rob454
04-09-2011, 9:10 PM
I personally would not do it for less than 140$. you still have the overhead of
additional electrical bill
shop area to do the work ( possibly rent a space or use your garage ) either way it would be abusiness deduction to your business ( the rent you pay on the space)
welding materials ( rod and gas) not to mention the cost of the equipment Pay yourself and your partener the initial investment of tools welder cutting mill whatever tools etc.
time to prep weld and cut
Time to rebox the item and time and fuel to go to post office send it back
pay for shipping back to customer
pay tax on additional income
Any additional things you may need or have to replace etc

Warranty the work against defects
After you pay all the $$ to run the business you and your buddy finally get to split the left over money which would be your profit. But some of it will go right back in the pot.
people think that because you are doing it as a side business it should be cheap. Nothing is free in this world. A good welder will charge you 50$ and thats jsut for the weld. Thats not any prep or cutting or whatever else may be needed. And a welder may have no idea how a gun works or what you need to function correctly. i mean after all do you want a s*8 weld or do you want a work of art. A s*8 welds is gonna run you 30$
I feel that the mod is worthwhile to some people and someone that can provide a turnkey item like that for 140$ is more than fair. There are gunshops that charge a lot more than that. Stop giving your labor away so freaking cheap. 75$ i wouldn't even talk to you cause its not worth my time to do all that. if you want to play around and be a nice guy charge 75$. if you want to actually make it worth your while you need to charge more. Most shops have a minimum set rate and obviously some charge a lot more to do the same mod.

Also youhave the added liability if somethign you f up you have to pay to replace so thats another reason not to give s*8t away

C.W.M.V.
04-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Damn I love this place. Guy says hes willing to do something for the board at large for a very discounted price and makes no illusion about not making much profit, and everyone tells him hes doing it wrong...:rolleyes:

OP Id be down for $100 or less. I'm sorry if I missed it but would you need the whole rifle or just the bolt carrier and cover?

Rob454
04-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Damn I love this place. Guy says hes willing to do something for the board at large for a very discounted price and makes no illusion about not making much profit, and everyone tells him hes doing it wrong...:rolleyes:

OP Id be down for $100 or less. I'm sorry if I missed it but would you need the whole rifle or just the bolt carrier and cover?
The op was saying he wanted to do it as a side business so if you are doing it to just pass the time and be a nice guy by all means charge as cheap as possible or whatever you feel is a reasonable price. if you plan on making it a side business and actually make some money then charge accordingly. nothing wrong with giving a discount but like anything else people will take advantage. Eventually you will raise your prices and you will have a bunch of pissed off people cause they are not getting the same "deal" as everyone before the. Nothing wrong with doing some for a discount to get the word out on the type of work you do but to do it all the time for a small profit is not very business savvy. There is a reason I rarely do side work. Because I can make more money working my regular job / Now i don't mind going over and helping a friend for free at all. if you are gonna start a business do it right from the beginning. its easier to offer a discount than it is to raise the rates later. Either way gun smiths charge more than that. most have a minimum charge and that does not include parts.

vintagedude88
04-10-2011, 5:10 PM
My rifles all use the side mounted rail so the left side charging handle would not be applicable. However, I know this may be the rifle forum but I'd be willing to do it on my Saiga 12 which doesn't use a side mount. If you can offer this service and the addition of installing the CGW LRBHO for the S12, you would be getting a lot of calls for your service.

Pred@tor
04-10-2011, 6:02 PM
http://www.lastroundholdopenak47.com/home I am just waiting for that to come out no price on these yet but want one when they do!

kel-tec-innovations
04-11-2011, 6:34 AM

Send in the bolt carrier and dust cover only, wouldn't want to waste money in shipping and responsibility of watching after the rifle.

I'm doing this to help out my Retired Air Force Machinist and helping Calgunners. I made this thread to get a survey so I don't over charge or undercharge. I really appreciate all your guys input.

My rifles all use the side mounted rail so the left side charging handle would not be applicable. However, I know this may be the rifle forum but I'd be willing to do it on my Saiga 12 which doesn't use a side mount. If you can offer this service and the addition of installing the CGW LRBHO for the S12, you would be getting a lot of calls for your service.

Wouldn't recommend side mounted scope. We would be able to swap the handle on the saiga 12. I looked at the CGW LRBHO, it is do able but I'm unsure the time it will take it have it installed and functioning 100% as I saw some videos on the installation and looks like there is extensive modification needed to the item. The drop in product itself looks as if it needs modification and so does the bolt. Another issue is the gun will need to be function tested with the CGW LRBHO and going to the range multiple times to work out the bugs doesn't seem very efficient in cost unless we have a shop like Sons of Gun with a shooting range in the back

kel-tec-innovations
04-11-2011, 6:36 AM
http://www.lastroundholdopenak47.com/home I am just waiting for that to come out no price on these yet but want one when they do!

Me too, but me and other calgunners have been contacting them without any response. I was waiting for them to come out but its been over a year and a half and i'm not waiting any longer thus I went to my machinist to covert a left handle instead. Just offering this service to other Calgunners whose tired of waiting for www.lastroundholdopenak47.com and or having to pay $250 for AKlightning bolt.

kel-tec-innovations
04-25-2011, 8:57 PM
Here is the latest video testing it. Bolt handles are in and were ready to take order

yEL73w3ZkQo

Click on link for service
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=6274173#post6274173

ZX-10R
04-26-2011, 6:22 AM
I think its pretty cool. But you are right. $100 is not exactly making a buck off of it. This isnt china and time is money. I think the work and time going into it is worth more than $100, but then you run into the issue if people will do it.

People are charging $45 for a piece of treated kydex... there is a considerable amount of work that goes into this type of job. you will also have those that expect near perfection and they will complain cuz a weld is not pretty enough.

Good luck... I like it.

I would pay up to $200. I would not mind having that done to one of my WASRs...I have cataract on my right eye that needs surgery. This would be very nice indeed.

kel-tec-innovations
04-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Again Service is available CLICK HERE >>>>> http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=425481

Thanks to all that answered my question on the thread.