PDA

View Full Version : Badger Ordnance Charging Handle Tactical Latch

mrvash
04-08-2011, 1:28 AM
I just have a few questions about this before I take the plunge and buy one:

When I googled Badger Ordnance, I visited some sites that had them up for sale, but when I read the item description, it was titled, "Yankee Hill Machine Tactical Charging Handle Latch" not sure if this is a typo or if YHM actually makes these for Badger Ordnance.

Secondly; are these latches well built? I just don't want it to snap and/or break off under hard use and abuse.

Lastly; I've never seen one in person, does it protrude far enough to easily get caught onto something, such as clothing, etc..

Thanks guys.

Sniper3142
04-08-2011, 8:35 AM
The Badger Charging Handle is very good. It is primarily designed to allow easier access when a large optic is mounted.

However, many (if not most) people prefer the BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 (Medium) Charging Handle over the Badger. The BCM is a bit stronger and doesn't get caught in clothes and/or equipment as easy as the Badger does.

To my knowledge, the Badger CH is made by them. I suggest you purchase from another site that list it correctly.

Outta Control
04-08-2011, 8:41 AM
I just have a few questions about this before I take the plunge and buy one...
Lastly; I've never seen one in person, does it protrude far enough to easily get caught onto something, such as clothing, etc..

Thanks guys.

Yes. It got caught up on my gear during a class. Very annoying but if you are lefty it may work better for you.

Paul_R
04-08-2011, 8:47 AM
.....if you are lefty it may work better for you.

I can vouch for that! :thumbsup:

Take the plunge??? The latch is a $15 part.....:rolleyes:

motorwerks
04-08-2011, 9:16 AM
Yeah I hated mine and have gone to the BCM on 4 of 5 guns, one still runs a stock latch because its a service style rifle. Anyhow it used to poke me right in the belly AND it destroyed one of my charging handles. I have it in a box in my room you can have it if you pay shipping. PM me if you want it I cant seem to keep up with threads on this forum.

Lost.monkey
04-08-2011, 9:26 AM
I installed mine to get the charging handle out of the way of my magnifier. It is extremely sturdy, an easy install, and I don't feel bad about spending the $19.95.

rareair
04-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Yes, its well made. Steel, not Aluminum or Pot metal.

As others have stated, it works well due to it's size. Very easy to locate while keeping eyes on target. Unfortunately, the size of the latch does get easily hung up on gear/clothing. If using a 2-point sling, it'll dig into your back

gun toting monkeyboy
04-08-2011, 10:55 AM
I like the one I have on my varminting rig. I doubt I would want it jabbing me in the ribs if I ended up carrying it using a sling. But it definately lets me get to the CH around the optics.

apbrian112
04-08-2011, 11:31 AM
i have them on 2 of my rifles and like them. give it a shot and if you don't like it you can sell it without losing too much money here in the marketplace.

dvsdev
04-08-2011, 12:19 PM
There are two versions of the Badger Ordnance Tactical Latch. Most people above are referring to the Gen I (over-sized). It sticks out a lot more and is notorious for poking/getting caught on something if using a sling. The Gen II (mid-sized) does not stick out as much.

http://global-tactical.com/ProductImages/products/prod_hi/197.jpg

mrvash
04-08-2011, 1:16 PM
Yeah I hated mine and have gone to the BCM on 4 of 5 guns, one still runs a stock latch because its a service style rifle. Anyhow it used to poke me right in the belly AND it destroyed one of my charging handles. I have it in a box in my room you can have it if you pay shipping. PM me if you want it I cant seem to keep up with threads on this forum.

PM'ed kind sir :)

dogg007
04-08-2011, 3:57 PM
Additional Question: when removing the OEM latch, do you punch out the pin from the top or bottom? I'm ready to install my badger latch, but the directions/illustration isn't quite clear. THanks.

OneApart
04-08-2011, 4:09 PM
I ran this one for a couple of trips to BLM:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/userdocs/skus/p_749009007_1.jpg

Switched up to the PRI Gasbuster as the Badger was prodding me in the chest when walking with it free hanging off a single point.

PRI was much better.

Paul_R
04-08-2011, 4:12 PM
Additional Question: when removing the OEM latch, do you punch out the pin from the top or bottom? I'm ready to install my badger latch, but the directions/illustration isn't quite clear. THanks.

This should help:

http://beta.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=338564

Mr_Monkeywrench
04-08-2011, 9:09 PM
I ran this one for a couple of trips to BLM:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/userdocs/skus/p_749009007_1.jpg

Switched up to the PRI Gasbuster as the Badger was prodding me in the chest when walking with it free hanging off a single point.

PRI was much better.

I have this one and love it. I ran it with an acog and it worked great in my clinic. I had or have no issues with it poking me. If It did, I didn't notice it at all. It really shines when doing "L" style grips on your charging handle.

motorwerks
04-09-2011, 1:09 PM
Cool its all wrapped up Ill get it in the mail soon. I meant to get it out yesterday but ran into some trouble with work so it didnt make it. If I can get out of the house it will be in the mail today.

OneApart
04-09-2011, 1:16 PM
I have this one and love it. I ran it with an acog and it worked great in my clinic. I had or have no issues with it poking me. If It did, I didn't notice it at all. It really shines when doing "L" style grips on your charging handle.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn125/illtradeco/100_2239-1.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn125/illtradeco/100_2246-1.jpg

This is the latch on my 14.5" (the early version)..... I didn't care for it, but that's just MHO.

supertrooper
04-09-2011, 3:41 PM
ihave a gen 1 on my scoped 20" AR and the gen 2 on my 14.5" AR and i like them both. each on has its use and the gen 2 is better for sling use. i dont see how people are supprised that the huge gen 1 handle gets stuck on gear and pokes them in the chest.

1022rimfire
04-09-2011, 4:42 PM
For lefties, the "Mod 1" type works great. It doesn't poke you in the chest, obviously, and allows for easier manipulation of the charging handle. It's my favorite handle by far after trying many out.

mrvash
04-09-2011, 4:53 PM
Cool its all wrapped up Ill get it in the mail soon. I meant to get it out yesterday but ran into some trouble with work so it didnt make it. If I can get out of the house it will be in the mail today.

It's okay man, take your time, at your convenience.

hammerhands32
04-09-2011, 6:50 PM
I have the mod1 and mod 2. Both work great for their intended usage. Never had an issue with either one. I've also don't have any friends that run and gun hard enough to break a charging handle.

motorwerks
04-14-2011, 6:07 PM
PS you owe me a picture of the gun with it installed!! :D