PDA

View Full Version : vortex sparc red dot

nn_sd84
04-08-2011, 12:19 AM
Has anyone ever used this?? Seems like a nice price especially with the mounts and magnifier. I know its probly not as good as an aimpoint but just lookin for a more affordable red dot. Any thoughts??

Droppin Deuces
04-08-2011, 1:01 AM
Do a search in the optics section. It's a pretty common subject over there.

Paul_R
04-08-2011, 5:56 AM
I like mine. Functionally it's every bit as good as an Aimpoint IMHO. The magnifier is useless but then I think they're useless on all dot scopes. The only other thing thing I don't like is the rubber band style lens cover. Buy a pair of #4 Butler Creek flip-up's and life will be good..

JDW67
04-08-2011, 7:08 AM
Primary arms micro if you want to save even more. I compared both and they are pretty equal in quality.

mlevans66
04-08-2011, 9:00 AM
I have one and it works for me. Talking to a dealer a couple of days ago and he asked Aimpoint " What the difference between your Micro H and the SPARC?" there response was "Ours is tougher" we both replied riiiiiiiight! Anyway it good for the money you send and I am currently looking for the killflash for it. Luck and there's a guy on youtube who test the SPARC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16ZB4itTusM

Outta Control
04-08-2011, 9:17 AM
Just as an FYI: Most of the reviews on the T1 and Sparc are all bench testing. Next weekend I will be going to a camp and shoot in NV with me will be an Aimpoint T1, Vortex Sparc, and Lucid HD7. While most or all of the test are either statically compared (on the table) or a single RDS is reviewed on a bench shooting at 50 yards or so but there has never been a true apples to apples comparison under a run and gun drill scenario, until now. I will be doing an objective comparison between the mentioned RDS going through its paces on a timed course. One note to pass along is to not expect the review once I return gimme a couple of weeks to sort out the data and production of the review. I will most likely create a thread a youtube review of the results.

BTW: this will not be a re-hash of what is out there already on specs and stuff. So stay tuned for our production. :43:

Paul_R
04-08-2011, 9:21 AM
Just as an FYI: Most of the reviews on the T1 and Sparc are all bench testing. Next weekend I will be going to a camp and shoot in NV with me will be an Aimpoint T1, Vortex Sparc, and Lucid HD7. While most or all of the test are either statically compared (on the table) or a single RDS is reviewed on a bench shooting at 50 yards or so but there has never been a true apples to apples comparison on a run and gun drill scenario, until now. I will be doing an objective comparison between the mentioned RDS going through its paces on a timed course. One note to pass along is to not expect the review once I return gimme a couple of weeks to sort out the data and production of the review. I will most likely create a thread a youtube review of the results.

BTW: this will not be a re-hash of what is out there already on specs and stuff. So stay tuned for our production. :43:

This is the one that sold me:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=277&t=187104

Outta Control
04-08-2011, 9:28 AM
This is the one that sold me:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=277&t=187104

Yes I've seen that also and his static review is great but what if you decide to go to the next level and do a tactical carbine course or want something for more when you do snap shots or move and shoot drills with your AR. I feel that you will see a big difference between each product and that is what I want to test.

Paul_R
04-08-2011, 9:33 AM
Yes I've seen that also and his static review is great but what if you decide to go to the next level and do a tactical carbine course or want something for more when you do snap shots or move and shoot drills with your AR. I feel that you will see a big difference between each product and that is what I want to test.

Well I guess we have a different opinion of what constitutes a "static review". I eagerly await the results of your testing. Seriously. ;)

missiontrails
04-08-2011, 9:33 AM
I had the Stikefire..... returned it because of the effect of glare at the indoor 100....... I could not turn down the 4MOA dot intensity low enough to where I had a crisp dot indoors...it looked like a twinkling star....... The shop swapped me out with a SPARC, but I had already ordered the Aimpoint PRO. I handled the SPARC, examined the mounts and everything in the box, looked through it outdoors, indoors, everywhere... The SPARC looks and feels like a winner......nothing cheap feeling about it. The 2MOA dot of the SPARC and Aimpoint PRO is definitly my preference over the 4MOA dot of the Strikefire, T1/H1. It DOES have a smaller objective than the T1/H1, you are looking through a narrower tube.

Outta Control
04-08-2011, 9:40 AM
... The 2MOA dot of the SPARC and Aimpoint PRO is definitly my preference over the 4MOA dot of the Strikefire, T1/H1. It DOES have a smaller objective than the T1/H1, you are looking through a narrower tube.

Just a teaser. I did my intro video yesterday and between the stated 2 MOA Sparc and ~4 MOA Aimpoint T1, I found that if you lower the intensity of the T1 you can closely match the MOA of the Sparc without the lost of the brightness, in fact it had similar brightness as the Sparc. ;)

missiontrails
04-08-2011, 9:45 AM
Just a teaser. I did my intro video yesterday and between the stated 2 MOA Sparc and ~4 MOA Aimpoint T1, I found that if you lower the intensity of the T1 you can closely match the MOA of the Sparc without the lost of the brightness, in fact it had similar brightness as the Sparc. ;)

I believe that. I run mine as low as I can normally, just to have the smallest possible visible dot. When I turn down the intensity on the PRO, the dot approaches the visible appearance of the 1MOA dot on the center of a Eotech reticle...