PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Button Convertible?

AR Lover
04-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Is the bullet button convertible CA legal.

Heres the link:

http://www.goldenstatetactical.com/bubucobne.html

It states it is legal and it is made by Golden State Tactical, which makes me assume its legal. but my inquiry is wouldnt turning the button so it can release with the push of a finger make it illegal. Could an officer claim it is illegal because you can switch between each option so easily?:confused:

Cokebottle
04-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Is the bullet button convertible CA legal.
In 2 of it's 3 modes, it operates in a manner that prevents the magazine from being detached without the use of a tool.
wouldnt turning the button so it can release with the push of a finger make it illegal.
Absolutely.
Could an officer claim it is illegal because you can switch between each option so easily?:confused:
Yes. This is why I:
A) Am not fond of the Raddlock.
B) Do not carry my red Prince BB-Wrench in the case with my ARs.
C) Transport with an empty 10rd magazine locked into the lower.

nimbus
04-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Isn't this just like the Prince 50?

http://www.riflegear.com/p-57-prince50-mag-lock-kit.aspx

Should be good to go as long as it's in bullet button mode. It's so that when you travel out of state into a free state you can drop mags normally without changing out parts.

Cokebottle
04-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Isn't this just like the Prince 50?

http://www.riflegear.com/p-57-prince50-mag-lock-kit.aspx

It is made by Prince, but it is a hybrid that has 3 modes.
With the setscrew all the way in, it's like the original P50... top-load only.
With the screw out, it's a normal mag release.
In the middle position, it operates like a normal BB.

AR Lover
04-08-2011, 2:50 PM
thanks guys. Thats what I thought I just needed a second opinion.

Wildkow
04-08-2011, 9:48 PM
Wow this thing was a biatch to install! If only my parents had lived directly under those powerlines coming out of the Nuclear Power Plant across the street I'd have that third hand with extra fingers! It doesn't help that the instructions are incomplete, not to mention after install I can only get it to operate in mode 1 or 3. Sigh, :confused: I hate being n00bish. I'll give them a call it's probably operator error. ;)

P.s. Anyone know what size the Allen Wrench is? I'd like to get an extra and fix it to the floor plate of my Magpul Moe pistol grip, that way I can't lose it and it's always with the rifle.

Etihtsarom
04-08-2011, 11:06 PM
The tool can not be attached to the rifle. Be careful of that. In the grip, probably, in the grip attached by a string, problem.

MrPlink
04-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Ill warn you, in free drop mode this thing feels pretty clunky and isn't as easy to use as a regular release.

Mine is on a pistol, and I wanted it primarily to transport in top load only mode.

SubSonicSOPMOD
04-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Mine fell apart after 6 months, I'd recommend the radlock my brother has one and it seems sturdier

AR Lover
04-09-2011, 12:08 AM
thanks for the personal experiences I might not get it. I think I can stick with a BB and just use a tool to push it.

Cokebottle
04-09-2011, 8:40 AM
Mine fell apart after 6 months
This is a brand new product... where did you find one 6 months ago?

SubSonicSOPMOD
04-09-2011, 10:25 AM
It's not brand new, might not be 6 months but that's not helping there case. Got mine at golden state.

Cokebottle
04-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Ya... looks like they first appeared around September last year.

Sounds like they have made changes to the design, but as I mentioned above, I'll just stick with a regular BB. I have no need for anything to be convertible since I don't shoot .22lr, and rarely leave the state.
I leave the state for shooting trips so rarely that I really feel that I wasted money on mag rebuild kits.

supersonic
04-09-2011, 11:44 AM
I bought a BB convertible just to have another version around. I found it an incredible PITA to install. It is essentially another variation on the radlock AR idea.

rbetts
04-11-2011, 10:30 PM
FYI, best way to install it is with the use of the wonder wrench. You are compressing 2 springs at once so, you will want to set the small spring and nut inside the Bullet Button Cage prior to placing it in the lower receiver.

If you have more surface area to work with instead of your thumb trying to turn the nut while you are holding it in the lower, it can be a little trick to coordinate these actions. Trust us, if you have the wonder wrench and use it, the tricky goes away and the easy comes back.

Simple as that. And its been out since about Mid November.

calixt0
04-16-2011, 6:00 PM
Don't mean to stir the pot but I've noticed recently that the RAddlock for the AR is not approved by the doj but does that mean they are not leagal?

Cokebottle
04-16-2011, 6:16 PM
Don't mean to stir the pot but I've noticed recently that the RAddlock for the AR is not approved by the doj but does that mean they are not leagal?
:banghead:

This questions has been answered a million times.

NO product is "DOJ approved"

The DOJ is not in the business of approving retail products.

calixt0
04-16-2011, 7:13 PM
:banghead:

This questions has been answered a million times.

NO product is "DOJ approved"

The DOJ is not in the business of approving retail products.

sorry to be a bother... but this type of comment just makes me remember why I stopped coming here all the time... Yes I did a search and couldn't find anything specific.

Cokebottle
04-16-2011, 7:24 PM
sorry to be a bother... but this type of comment just makes me remember why I stopped coming here all the time... Yes I did a search and couldn't find anything specific.
If you hadn't of stopped coming here, you'd have known.

You'd know that the internal search function sucks.
You'd know about the enhanced Google custom search.

You'd know that this question comes up almost as often as "Is it legal for me to "find" <wink wink> a high cap magazine?"

Sorry it upsets you so much, but it gets very tiring when the same question is asked a couple of times a week. The answer doesn't change.

supersonic
04-16-2011, 9:27 PM
Some advice that I was told that I now practice, fellas: if you see a post with a question in it that tries your patience, you are much better off not touching your keyboard at all. Seriously. Guaranteed someone with a little more patience will be by shortly to answer the question without making the one asking feel like leaving the forum completely. Just some food for thought.;)

IsaacGlass
04-16-2011, 10:36 PM

Relax calixt0, it's not personal. Everyone here means well.

flyingcaveman
04-17-2011, 5:46 PM
[QUOTE=
P.s. Anyone know what size the Allen Wrench is? I'd like to get an extra and fix it to the floor plate of my Magpul Moe pistol grip, that way I can't lose it and it's always with the rifle.[/QUOTE]

It's a 1/16th allen wrench.
I'm not sure if you should be allowed to attach the adjustment tool to your rifle if you're not allowed to attach the tool that allows you to depress the bullet button.

Wildkow
05-05-2011, 4:53 PM
The tool can not be attached to the rifle. Be careful of that. In the grip, probably, in the grip attached by a string, problem.

It's a 1/16th allen wrench.
I'm not sure if you should be allowed to attach the adjustment tool to your rifle if you're not allowed to attach the tool that allows you to depress the bullet button.

Thanks guys, took mine off, it ain't ready for prime time but I still applaud the innovative guhater GST and others that come up with this kind of stuff. Keep it up I can't imagine how hard it is for small companies to come up with new ideas, test them and put it them on the market. Don't give up, back to the design board! LoL!

wash
05-05-2011, 5:05 PM
I tried it.

I didn't have any problem installing it.

In use, the free state mode felt kind of flimsy, it would be much better to swap it out than convert it.

In the end I swapped it out for the origional Bullet Button design. It doesn't convert but it's solid, I'm not afraid I'll break it.

If you really need a bullet button with a free state mode, I prefer the CAL15BS.

Prince50
05-05-2011, 5:11 PM
Anybody with issues with the Bullet ButtonŽ Convertible, simply PM me. I'll walk you through any issue, or swap it for a new one to make sure you are happy.

We did make some changes in January to make use safer and easier.

The use of a Wonder Wrench is very helpful in installing it. Blue locktite will prevent it from "Falling apart", which is much more likely that it was installed without any locktite, and the center nut unscrewed.

If anyone feels the instructions are incomplete, please let me know how I can improve them, and I'll adjust them for future units.

Best Regards,

Darin
www.bulletbutton.com
760-277-3621

subrosa
05-05-2011, 5:23 PM
Anybody with issues with the Bullet ButtonŽ Convertible, simply PM me. I'll walk you through any issue, or swap it for a new one to make sure you are happy.

We did make some changes in January to make use safer and easier.

The use of a Wonder Wrench is very helpful in installing it. Blue locktite will prevent it from "Falling apart", which is much more likely that it was installed without any locktite, and the center nut unscrewed.

If anyone feels the instructions are incomplete, please let me know how I can improve them, and I'll adjust them for future units.

Best Regards,

Darin
www.bulletbutton.com
760-277-3621

I am fairly sure mine is an older one. Should I be concerned about upgrading to the new "safer" model?

I think I have another one in a baggy, but not sure if I should keep it or sell it.

I like it, I did notice that when fired it tended to lock up which is totally fine by me, I would rather have the screw turn to legal not illegal.

CK_32
05-05-2011, 5:30 PM
I have a raddlock and love it. By far one of the best things I've done to my AR. clean solid release in bb or mag drop mode. I love it

Cali don't take offense... Coke bottle has angry fingers... Don't take it personal haha just makes it worse.. I've been on your end of him a few times. Just learn to take it in and listen but don't take too much of it. I dont think he really means to be personal.

Prince50
05-05-2011, 6:07 PM
Subrosa,

PM me and I'll let you know what to look for.

Best Regards,

Darin

hk91666
05-05-2011, 6:32 PM
I'll stay with my BB and wonder wrench. I keep Wonder wrench in compartment in my Magpul stock in a zip lock baggie. Hope the carrying of the wrench with the rifle is not frowned upon by LEO. It's never screwed on unless I making adjustments to my rifle.

A number of issues have come up and I always appreciated Cokebottle's direct approach he's not a bad guy

Arisaka
05-05-2011, 6:49 PM
Ive had a BB Convertible since the week they came out. Works like a charm. Didn't fall apart. Stays put in the position you set it. I think its awesome, not sure what "improvements" it allegedly needed.....

tpc13
05-05-2011, 6:58 PM
Why not just use a Solar Tactical grip and make the stock fixed so there is no collapsable stock. Now u can have a detachable mag..

Noah3683
05-05-2011, 7:43 PM
Why not just use a Solar Tactical grip and make the stock fixed so there is no collapsable stock, and replace flash hider with brake or compensator, as well as removing any other evil features..... IE: vertical foregrip. Now u can have a detachable mag..

Fixed ;)

MrPlink
05-05-2011, 7:58 PM
Fixed ;)

not to mention, I cant go "featureless" on a AR pistol.

Plus on a "fun gun" its nice to have evil features.

Noah3683
05-05-2011, 8:02 PM

Couldn't agree more. I shot a featureless AR and it felt awkward lol

TiMe_1
05-05-2011, 8:57 PM
I just installed one of these on my lower I'm building. Havent really had a chance to use it. It does kinda feel clunky in free state mode. I'm gonna wait til after I get an upper and shoot it some before I decide if I like it or not. I'll probably end up with a regular BB....

Cokebottle
05-05-2011, 11:04 PM

+1

The Featureless fanbois are as bad as the Glock fanbois when someone posts a problem with anything other than a Glock.

I have a fully featured 5.56, I have a featureless 5.56, and I have a .22lr.
I can drop mags on two of them. Having to have the BB doesn't bother me one bit. If SHTF in a home-defense situation, I'm reaching for the XD, Glock, or .357.

MrPlink
05-05-2011, 11:24 PM
+1

The Featureless fanbois are as bad as the Glock fanbois when someone posts a problem with anything other than a Glock.

I have a fully featured 5.56, I have a featureless 5.56, and I have a .22lr.
I can drop mags on two of them. Having to have the BB doesn't bother me one bit. If SHTF in a home-defense situation, I'm reaching for the XD, Glock, or .357.

well.. I do have a featureless AK, but I wouldnt call myself a fan boy...
sometimes freely dropping 30rd mags is more evil..
but other times Id like to hold my rifle the proper way...
Ive got all bases covered I guess ;)

But if I ever get around to building my A2 or A4 clone, Im probably going to put a convertible BB on that too, and run it as an otherwise featureless rifle outside of a pistol grip so I can switch back and forth easily from configurations by throwing on a fin grip or the like.

Cokebottle
05-05-2011, 11:29 PM
well.. I do have a featureless AK, but I wouldnt call myself a fan boy...
sometimes freely dropping 30rd mags is more evil..
but other times Id like to hold my rifle the proper way...
Ive got all bases covered I guess ;)
I'd like to drop 30 rounders as well, but I, and most other members here, don't have that option except out of state, whether featureless or not.

Homey don't play games with high-caps. The high caps that I have, I've had since the mid 90s.

MrPlink
05-05-2011, 11:37 PM
I'd like to drop 30 rounders as well, but I, and most other members here, don't have that option except out of state, whether featureless or not.

Homey don't play games with high-caps. The high caps that I have, I've had since the mid 90s.

I dont follow you, since you imply that your pre-bans are in fact pre bans, whats the issue?

Cokebottle
05-06-2011, 12:06 AM
I dont follow you, since you imply that your pre-bans are in fact pre bans, whats the issue?
Because they don't work in my AR.

They're for the 92FS

c483125117
05-06-2011, 12:47 AM
I just installed one of these on my lower I'm building. Havent really had a chance to use it. It does kinda feel clunky in free state mode. I'm gonna wait til after I get an upper and shoot it some before I decide if I like it or not. I'll probably end up with a regular BB....

Those were my initial thoughts, but after I got used to it, it's been fine. Works perfectly.

MrPlink
05-06-2011, 1:03 AM
Because they don't work in my AR.

They're for the 92FS

Ahhhhh, I got you.