PDA

View Full Version : looking to give away a rifle......Few Questions.

straykiller
04-07-2011, 10:14 PM
hey guys im looking into giving away a rifle in my next raffle, probably for now just a mosin nagant. My question is should i just transfer it through an FFL to cover my As** or not worry about it because it is technically considered c&r. of course if it is transferred through a FFl i would be paying all fees so the it does not cost the winner anything. thoughts??? im leaning towards through a FFL to cover my a**. thanks

dieselpower
04-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Use an FFL, Mr Murphy has a way of screwing you without lube when he has a chance,

BigBamBoo
04-08-2011, 6:40 AM

haole_50
04-08-2011, 6:45 AM
Had the "raffle" problem in the military, since it wasn't authorized someone came up with a new term for having a "raffle", it was called a "give away" (and of course there was no problem). Didn't win the 270 or the Alaskan sized BBQ/Smoker.

Rule .308
04-08-2011, 6:52 AM
I do not know if it still exists but at one time there was a "raffle" exemption on the back of the yellow form. The varmint hunting club that I belonged to for years would raffle off a rifle every year at the awards banquet and while you still had to go through the paperwork, it exempted you from the waiting period. I won a shotgun once and sure as shootin', no waiting period on a brand new Mossy goose gun. Gotta like that. :D

straykiller
04-08-2011, 7:07 AM
@Haole_50 & bigbamboo. Thanks for the heads up i might just call it a give away then since it is tecnically going to be given to the winner it doea not cost any money for the raffle tickets so i wont be making any money on it

NorCalK9.com
04-08-2011, 8:38 AM
Thats awesome of you too bad u have to worry about all this red tape crap.

dieselpower
04-08-2011, 9:24 AM
@Haole_50 & bigbamboo. Thanks for the heads up i might just call it a give away then since it is tecnically going to be given to the winner it doea not cost any money for the raffle tickets so i wont be making any money on it

Doesn't matter if you make money or not. Your question was about, if you should use an FFL or simply give the rifle to a random unknown person....

You are opening yourself up to a huge liability even if legal. Use an FFL, then the State then takes responsibility for the "giving away a firearm".

FTR I have sold a C&R FTF in CA as per the law.

straykiller
04-08-2011, 3:07 PM
Doesn't matter if you make money or not. Your question was about, if you should use an FFL or simply give the rifle to a random unknown person....

You are opening yourself up to a huge liability even if legal. Use an FFL, then the State then takes responsibility for the "giving away a firearm".

FTR I have sold a C&R FTF in CA as per the law.

i understand that and would go through an ffl was just asking opinions, my reply was more directed to the calgunner who stated to be carefull as raffles are considered gambling in california unless it is for a non profit organization. i am not raffling it off for money of any kind so couldn't it just be called a Give Away like another calgunner stated and be fine?? thanks for the help guys..... maby it would be better to stick to parts/parts kits and accessories and stay away from this then.