PDA

View Full Version : hypothetical... Stolen gun sold through FFL

dieselpower
04-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Lets say you bought a gun at a Pawn shop in 1991. About a year later the gun is stolen from you. You report it as stolen, but could not read the serial number on your sales receipt. The PD leave it as, "call us when you locate the serial number." You are pretty sure you know who stole it, (gang banger) but no proof. The PD isn't pushing the issue and a person who feels 1/2 responsible for leaving the gun unattended gives you an item for free as a form of compensation.

You now find out (20 years later) the suspect sold the exact same type of gun.

Now who's gun is this if it is sold and a buyers goes through an FFL? Whats the SOL on a stolen firearm? I don't think they can be charged with a crime if they sold it as per the law.

I am being told since the serial number was never reported to the police and I was compensated for the loss. The New owner is the true owner even if I can now locate the serial number.

oh the original pawn shop where the gun was bought has been closed for over 15 years.

luckystrike
04-07-2011, 10:58 PM
if it was originally stolen from you, then it is in fact yours, the guy who recently bought it is SOL and should be returned to you. but then again Ca is assbackwards so I cant say forsure.

Dreaded Claymore
04-07-2011, 11:06 PM
Kinda sounds like a novel by Alexandre Dumas.

G-forceJunkie
04-07-2011, 11:24 PM
If you never gave them a valid serial number, there is no proof that _your_ gun was stolen. You just reported that a (lets call it a Glock 17) Glock 17 was stolen. Unless it had some special, unique identifying engraving, that was mentioned in the report, your SOL. Heck, if someone put that firearm in your hands tomorrow, without knowing the serial number, how could you identify it?