PDA

View Full Version : Browning BLR 10 Round Magazine?

Excursionist
04-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Hi all, I'm looking for a recommendation for a gunsmith or machinist who can convert 4 round, factory Browning BLR magazines to 10 round magazines. I have a BLR stainless in .308 that is my favorite rifle. It's lightweight, accurate, comes to shoulder easily and in general makes me very happy except for one little thing, magazine capacity. I'd like to see what can be done to address this.

And fellas, all I'm really asking for are some leads to someone who can do it. I'm not looking for opinions on why someone thinks this is not a good idea, or what someone thinks is a better idea. I appreciate that everyone has their own opinion but opinions are not what I'm asking for. I need help finding someone who can take this project on, nothing more, nothing less. I'd really appreciate any help y'all can give me toward making this happen.

Thanks.

swifty
04-07-2011, 11:11 PM
If you have a BLR , not BLR81, I would not alter them. Extremely hard to come by.

Excursionist
04-08-2011, 8:53 AM
If you have a BLR , not BLR81, I would not alter them. Extremely hard to come by.

Swifty, I do have a BLR and not BLR81 and I wasn't aware of that.. I bought the rifle last Summer and since I'm just now investigating the possibility of having the work done I haven't purchased additional magazines. Why is one harder to come by than the other?

Thanks.

not-fishing
04-08-2011, 9:10 AM
If you really want more rounds (for zombies, running hogs or whatever) there may be another option.

Four round stripper clips.

Yes I know it takes more time but it's a lot faster than individual reloads.

The only other option is an M1A or HK SL7 both of which I lust for. :D

swifty
04-08-2011, 9:40 AM
The original Browning BLR was made from 1969-1980. The factory revamped the rifle in 1981 and called it the Model BLR 81. I reread your original post and see that your rifle is stainless steel, which I don't think was an option on the original BLR.

The original BLR had a magazine that hung down from the receiver, the later BLR 81 had a flush magazine.You might check with the factory on the availability of magazines.

From Midwest Gun Works (http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/ctgy/C-009)

All Browning BLR Rifles produced between 1981 and 1994 are correctly referred to as The Browning BLR Rifle Model 81 and could be purchased in either long or short action. All BLR Rifles produced from 1995 through the present are correctly referred to as The Browning BLR Light (Alloy receiver) or Lightning Model (Steel receiver).

Excursionist
04-08-2011, 7:01 PM
Gotcha, that means I have a BLR Light and it seems as though the magazines are available from all of the usual outlets. This is good since my guess is that when and if I find someone who can do the work, it may take several mags to get it right.

The original Browning BLR was made from 1969-1980. The factory revamped the rifle in 1981 and called it the Model BLR 81. I reread your original post and see that your rifle is stainless steel, which I don't think was an option on the original BLR.

The original BLR had a magazine that hung down from the receiver, the later BLR 81 had a flush magazine.You might check with the factory on the availability of magazines.

From Midwest Gun Works (http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/ctgy/C-009)

Super Chicken
04-11-2011, 11:02 AM
OP, you may want to contact this guy.

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

If he can modify Savage 4 rounders I'm sure he can do that to Browning ones. I think that "high" cap mags for the BLR would be awesome. The take down model is on my want list, throw in some 10 rounders and it goes up on the need to buy scale.

Let me know if you have any luck please.

Maltese Falcon
04-11-2011, 11:13 AM

If he can modify Savage 4 rounders I'm sure he can do that to Browning ones. I think that "high" cap mags for the BLR would be awesome. The take down model is on my want list, throw in some 10 rounders and it goes up on the need to buy scale.

That looks like the cat's meow...However...

Magazines are available in 5 rd, and 10 rd. capacities. The 5rd will actually hold 6, while the 10rd will hold 11.

Super Chicken
04-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Yeah I saw that too. I F'ed up on the link. If you scroll down a bit he has a DBM for the Savage Scout

I think he used to modify your magazines back in the day then started to just make his own.

Excursionist
04-12-2011, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the lead, it's much appreciated. I sent them an email inquiry tonight and I will definitely let you know what I come up with.

Joewy
04-19-2011, 8:31 PM
I know a guy with a BLR 81 and has 30 round curved magazines for it.
Ill check for you. Might take a bit.

Excursionist
04-28-2011, 11:26 PM
He finally got back to me, but the answer was no. He didn't go into any detail as to why. Thanks for the lead though, I appreciate it.

Excursionist
04-28-2011, 11:28 PM
I haven't checked this thread in a little while so I missed your post. I'm in no hurry for this project but please do let me know whenever you find something out.

Thanks.

I know a guy with a BLR 81 and has 30 round curved magazines for it.
Ill check for you. Might take a bit.

Joewy
05-01-2011, 5:26 PM
I haven't checked this thread in a little while so I missed your post. I'm in no hurry for this project but please do let me know whenever you find something out.

Thanks.

I sent him a e-mail and he told me that he made them and can make them in any caliber. Any size. Either short of long action. He is out of town working but when he gets back Ill get some photos. Id like some for my 300 win mag BLR too. :D

Excursionist
05-08-2011, 1:01 AM
I sent him a e-mail and he told me that he made them and can make them in any caliber. Any size. Either short of long action. He is out of town working but when he gets back Ill get some photos. Id like some for my 300 win mag BLR too. :D

That's great news! 10 round capacity, of course, short action (.308), and I'd take 4 of them if he cared to make them. Do you need my email address to forward those pictures?

Thanks!

Excursionist
08-21-2012, 11:36 PM
It's been a while since I first posted this but I haven't found anyone to do the work yet and thought I'd give it another shot. Does anyone have any new ideas?

Thanks.

brickworth
03-03-2013, 7:56 AM
Hey guys, I just came across this aging thread but sure am intested in the possibility of a 10+ BLR 81 magazine in 308 or 30-06. Any news or leads?

brickworth
03-03-2013, 8:01 AM
Hey guys, I just came across this aging thread but sure am intested in the possibility of a 10+ BLR 81 magazine in 308 or 30-06. Any news or leads?

kakinuma-kun
03-03-2013, 11:03 AM
You may want to contact Robar as they do custom modifications to magazines. Years ago, I was ready to send them my BAR to have a 10 round magazine made (before going another route) and they seem to still list custom magazine work on their website.

Let us know what happens.

brickworth
03-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Many thanks. I will report back when I have something.

BLR81
03-03-2013, 10:11 PM
You may want to contact Robar as they do custom modifications to magazines. Years ago, I was ready to send them my BAR to have a 10 round magazine made (before going another route) and they seem to still list custom magazine work on their website.

Let us know what happens.
Big difference between a semi-auto BAR and a lever action BLR. It's going to be hard to work an extended mag with reliable feed that doesn't get in the way of the cocking lever of the BLR. Which is probably why Browning made the mag flush to start with.

As far as even wanting to put a 10 rd mag on a great hunting rifle, WHY? Unless you're expecting to run into a herd of zombie white tail while walking thru the woods, 5 rounds should be plenty for any hunter.

OP, if you are as much in love with the gun now, don't mess with it. You're not going to make it better. If you're really on having a ten round mag, go an find another great rifle you can love just as much. A M&P 10 or M1A would be great rifles to add variety to your safe.

kakinuma-kun
03-04-2013, 6:16 AM
To each his/her own.

Ruger did make the Scout Rifle with an extended magazine.

Maybe this will be a Lever Scout? Sounds cool to me!

brickworth
03-04-2013, 3:33 PM
Good point on the clearance for the mags. I just checked my 30-06 BLR 81 and it will probably not work. Will check the 308 later but expect the same clearance issue. As to why....OPTIONS. I would have liked both. That's one of the fine things about a removable magazine.... can have spares in different capacities without effecting the structure of the weapon. At least in other guns. Ten rounds would make it a better SHTF gun....but such is life. Already have a customized M1 that is a beauty along with a couple of 7.62x39 species among the herd. No such thing as too many or too much when it comes to such things.