PDA

View Full Version : My first rimfire bolt gun...

locosway
04-07-2011, 9:05 PM
I picked up my Savage Mark II FV this afternoon and quickly slapped on my Harris bipod and Leupold rimfire scope. The hood I bought for the scope was the wrong size, so it's not installed yet. I know, the picture is terrible, but that's all I could get away with so far. Can't wait to get her sighted in!

http://i52.tinypic.com/10ehfuh.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/142zka9.jpg

G-forceJunkie
04-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Get some Wolf Match Target ammo, it will shoot great with it.

locosway
04-07-2011, 10:04 PM
I picked up 500 rounds of Eley 17gr. V-Max Ammo for $49. All the reviews say it's very accurate and runs well.

G-forceJunkie
04-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Ah, I assumed it was a .22lr

bruce_ventura
04-08-2011, 5:30 AM
My Savage 22lr has the same stock. Very light, but poor balance with a bull barrel. I stuffed a lead weight for an ar-15 match rifle into the buttstock and the rifle balanced out nicely. Also, the drop was designed for iron sights - a bit low for a scope. I added a nylon cheek pad to raise my eye level up to the scope. Finally, the length of pull was too short for my long arms so I added a 1" black PE spacer under the recoil pad. Now it feels pretty good. Probably $25 in parts and some labor.

locosway
04-08-2011, 5:32 AM
My Savage 22lr has the same stock. Very light, but poor balance with a bull barrel. I stuffed a lead weight for an ar-15 match rifle into the buttstock and the rifle balanced out nicely. Also, the drop was designed for iron sights - a bit low for a scope. I added a nylon cheek pad to raise my eye level up to the scope. Finally, the length of pull was too short for my long arms so I added a 1" black PE spacer under the recoil pad. Now it feels pretty good. Probably $25 in parts and some labor.

I'll have to see how she shoots. Might be a couple weeks until I can get to the range again.

locosway
04-18-2011, 7:42 PM
Just took her to the range for the first time. After getting the scope zeroed in for the most part I was able to do this group.

The table was shaky and I didn't have the best support, but I think she did pretty well considering the circumstances. I can't wait to get out to Burro and get a good bench setup to see what she's got.

Picture is in the first post.

wormtosser
04-18-2011, 7:57 PM
Nice! From what I read the Harris bipod is worth the extra dough. Have fun!

G-forceJunkie
04-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Your bipods on backwards.

locosway
04-18-2011, 10:46 PM
Your bipods on backwards.

I tried it both ways and liked this way better...