PDA

View Full Version : Ruger New Model Single Six cylinder

Bartin
04-07-2011, 9:45 PM
Just put a deposit down on a used Ruger New Model Single Six blued with wood grips :D It is only coming with the .22lr cylinder though. Where can I find a .22Mag cylinder? Do I need to send it to Ruger or can I just buy one somewhere?
The employee said that it couldn't handle the .22Mag, is that true? (I doubt it's true but thought I'd ask)

winetoad
04-07-2011, 10:06 PM
I think only the convertible single six is the model that doe's both the Mag and Lr. May want to check that out. I may be wrong.

11011500a
04-07-2011, 10:11 PM
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=852120&catid=8345

AlbcAlbrr
04-07-2011, 10:14 PM
But be real careful as the timing may be off from top dead center.

You might be better off talking to Ruger first.

sd_shooter
04-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Maybe you don't really need the 22Mag cylinder. I have a SS with both cylinders and I've only shot the 22Mag once just to try it out. The ammo is way more expensive than 22LR.

However if you were to hunt with it, 22Mag would be a far better choice than 22LR.

Mail Clerk
04-08-2011, 6:36 AM
Just put a deposit down on a used Ruger New Model Single Six blued with wood grips :D It is only coming with the .22lr cylinder though. Where can I find a .22Mag cylinder? Do I need to send it to Ruger or can I just buy one somewhere?
The employee said that it couldn't handle the .22Mag, is that true? (I doubt it's true but thought I'd ask)

Bartin,

Congratulations on your new revolver. Your version needs to be th convertable type or it just won't work unless you have forcing cone shaved a little. The frame should be able to handle the extra power but to get a magnum cylinder installed isn't worth it. Your much better off just buying the convertable version. If you want/need more power why not just use Hyper velocity 22LR's??? CCI "stinger" and Remington "vipers" approach the magnums pretty close anyway without spending needless extra money. 22 Mags cost twice the price of the long rifle ammo.

Mail Clerk

hatidua
04-08-2011, 8:38 AM
I have the convertible version with both cylinders and as others above me have stated, you'd be better off just shooting some hot .22LR ammo. In over 20 years of owning mine, I've used the .22WMR cylinder on just one day.

Bartin
04-08-2011, 2:56 PM
Thanks for all the info and insight everyone!
I suppose I just liked the idea of being able to swap them. I'll just enjoy the .22LR and try out some hyper velocity when I want a little extra kick.

Mail Clerk
04-09-2011, 8:39 AM
Bartin,

Just a quick note.... If you want the power then consider a 17HMR round. This ammo is super hot and reaches farther out than any 22 magnum easy!!! No convertable version is available that I know of but I believe Taurus/Ruger?S & W makes revolvers in this round. The cost is comaprable to the magnums bullets.

Mail Clerk

Bartin
04-09-2011, 9:03 AM
Thanks for the tip Mail Clerk. I've been meaning to check that round out. I've been hearing good things

GunzNHoses89
04-11-2011, 8:32 PM
I own a single six manufactured in 1976, its the gun I learned to shoot on. I love it, congrats on a great gun purchase...

damon1272
04-11-2011, 9:40 PM
A correction on the .17hmr. They did and still offer convertable cylinders. I thought about getting the .17 HM2 but changed my mind as I have .17 magnum rifles and do not shoot it enough to warrant another cylinder. Great guns though. I wish the frame was a touch bigger as I have big hands. Anyways enjoy the cheap shooting.