View Full Version : Trying to help a friend

04-07-2011, 8:10 PM
I had a friend that made some poor decisions early in his life and has paid the price with getting felony. This was many years ago. He is now in his 40's and want' to get his rights restored so he can get back into shooting and such.

I would like to help him find a good lawyer that specializes in these sort of cases. So, if someone can point me int he right direction with some contact info, that would be great. I know I could call the CGF, but don't want to talk up their time on the phone when I think I can get the information here. I will call them if need be. I am also going to check the CRPA newsletter as there are listed lawyers in it most of the time. Thanks in advance..


04-07-2011, 8:49 PM
It depends on the felony I think. If it is a wobbler he may be able to have it reduced. Anything else, he will have to get a pardon I believe.

04-07-2011, 9:16 PM
Call up Don Kilmer (NorCal) or Jason Davis (SoCal) and talk to them to see what it will take.

It's usually possible, especially if it's been a very long time without any other legal issues, but will likely be expensive. But a phone call to ask is free.

04-08-2011, 4:59 PM
Thanks guys. I'll pass on the names to him.

I know he can get it done. After 10 years, you can petition to the governor to get your rights restored. I bet it will be expensive.

I was in Oregon at an IPSC shoot and went down to the last range and they were having a fund raiser for the club. There were two Ingram full auto guns and you could shoot them for $10 per stick mag. We all shot them, and I asked who owned the guns. They range Officer pointed to this biker looking guy and then told me that he had been a multiple felon and got his rights restored, and now owned many guns including those class 3 weapons.