PDA

View Full Version : Need for registering a gifted rifle?

fuenstock
04-07-2011, 5:39 PM
I recently recieved a used Marlin 30/30 as a birthday gift. let me explain how it came to me. A man died and passed the rifle to his son. My girl friends father who is friends with the son bought it off the son. The rifle was givin to me by my girl friends father. There was no registering from one person to the next. Not sure what to do in this situation? Do I try and register it? Do I just keep it to my self and not register? What happens if im hunting or going to the range and leo wants to run a check on rifle?

ke6guj
04-07-2011, 5:46 PM
what needs to be done to legally comply with the law is that your girlfriend's father should take back the rifle until you guys can go to an FFL to do a PPT DROS of the rifle from him to you. That is all that needs to be done. There is no rifle registration, so you don't need to self-register.

chiselchst
04-07-2011, 5:50 PM
What happens if im hunting or going to the range and leo wants to run a check on rifle?

Longs guns records are not kept - they do not have to be registered...

Folks will correct any misinformation here - but I believe it's the responsibility of the seller/previous owner/gifter/owner to use an FFL, to ensure the new owner is not a prohibited person...

CSACANNONEER
04-07-2011, 5:51 PM
Listen to Jack. But, if you can look up the manufacturing date and it was made over 50 years ago, you don't need to go to a FFL. Again, as long as it's +50 years old, it already has been legally transfered to you.

Also, like Jack said, there is no mandatory rifle registration so, don't let someone try to tell you there is.

fuenstock
04-07-2011, 5:58 PM
I know the rifle is not over 50years old. Its from the mid 80's. So to comply with law I can have the son who got the rifle from his dead father meet me at FFL and Dros the rifle to me. Then I wait 10 days to get it back from FFL? How would the son of the dead man show the rifle is his to sell or gift?

Librarian
04-07-2011, 6:03 PM
I know the rifle is not over 50years old. Its from the mid 80's. So to comply with law I can have the son who got the rifle from his dead father meet me at FFL and Dros the rifle to me. Then I wait 10 days to get it back from FFL? How would the son of the dead man show the rifle is his to sell or gift?

He would have received it as an inheritance. No need to document that transfer - again, long guns are not registered. So the FFL and the DOJ simply would not care.

Under some circumstances, might worry that it had been reported stolen, but not the case here.

It is not the case that all guns are, or must be, registered, so selling guns with no 'history' is just usual course of business.

taperxz
04-07-2011, 6:04 PM

He doesn't have to. The only thing that will be checked is to see if the firearm is in a stolen firearm data base. Otherwise possession is just that possession.

fuenstock
04-07-2011, 6:10 PM
Ok, So it sounds that if I just keep the rifle and do nothing else I am still ok as long as the rifle was not reported stolen, which it is not. That makes me feel better. I would hate to have it taken from me or even possibly detained for having it. I am also not prohibited from owning firearms.

taperxz
04-07-2011, 6:14 PM
Ok, So it sounds that if I just keep the rifle and do nothing else I am still ok as long as the rifle was not reported stolen, which it is not. That makes me feel better. I would hate to have it taken from me or even possibly detained for having it. I am also not prohibited from owning firearms.

That would be you committing a crime though!!! Just do the right thing and go to an FFL!!!!!!!!!

fuenstock
04-07-2011, 6:23 PM
Ok I misunderstood. So I still need to meet with the son at an FFl for the transfer? This is not something I can do my self? We both need to be present just like any other PPT? Im not wanting to break any laws, but they are so compicated for a new gun owner like me.

taperxz
04-07-2011, 6:33 PM
Yes, you need to go to an ffl and do this.

fuenstock, you posted your question on a public forum. There are plenty of anti gun trolls that read this forum! In no way shape or form would it be prudent to circumvent the law and stating it here on a public forum. This community is here for law abiding gun owners. Again, "law abiding" gun owners. Do the right thing, feel good about it, because you followed the law. Criminals break the law and give gun owners a bad name!! Is it a pain in the rear? YES!! Do you really want to break the law? I hope not. Get to the FFL do the right thing and enjoy your new toy. ;)

CSACANNONEER
04-07-2011, 6:39 PM
Yep, go to your local FFL and do a PPT just like you would if you had bought it. In fact, I would not even mention this whole story to him/her. It might make him/her nervous as think something funny is going on.

fuenstock
04-07-2011, 6:51 PM
Ok, I understand now. Just treat as any other ppt. My intentions are not to break any laws, I was just unsure of what needed to be done. Now that I know, I will be taking care of this so that I am legal and worry free. Thanks for the answers.