PDA

View Full Version : Can't fit long arm in vehicle. Any way to legally carry?

Junkie
04-07-2011, 5:27 PM
I'm looking at buying a rifle, and the only vehicles that I currently own are motorcycles. I have previously purchased pistols, and stored them in a locked trunk on the way home (and not visible, so not likely to cause problems). However, with a rifle it isn't possible to store it in the trunk of the bike.

I also happen to live within 1000' of a school.

Is there any way of legally transporting a rifle, openly, within 1000' of a school?

thanks for any help :)

CitaDeL
04-07-2011, 5:31 PM
I'm looking at buying a rifle, and the only vehicles that I currently own are motorcycles. I have previously purchased pistols, and stored them in a locked trunk on the way home (and not visible, so not likely to cause problems). However, with a rifle it isn't possible to store it in the trunk of the bike.

Is there any way of legally transporting a rifle, openly, within 1000' of a school?

Yes.

Unloaded and slung over your shoulder.
PC 626.9 only deals with concealable firearms.
The Federal GFSZ is another matter.

PhalSe
04-07-2011, 5:36 PM
Can't you put the long gun unloaded in a locked container strapped to the back seat of the motorcycle or carried like a backpack? If it is an AR or other rifle that can be broken down that would help reducing the size of the package.

TimRB
04-07-2011, 5:37 PM
We used to have a guy come to some of our matches on a motorcycle with his rifle in a guitar case. I bet if you got a lockable case and transported your unloaded rifle in it, you would be legal even federally.

Tim

Junkie
04-07-2011, 5:41 PM
I guess 626.9(c)(2) means that, as long as it's for the purpose of transportation, I can legally strap a rifle across my back - at least under 626.9.

GFSZ seems to say that it must be in a locked rack on a motor vehicle. That isn't reasonably possible for me to do. Do CA LEOs often enforce GFSZ?

I don't have a case large enough to fit the rifle, at least not without attaching a safe to the back of the bike - which isn't possible.

taperxz
04-07-2011, 5:50 PM
I guess 626.9(c)(2) means that, as long as it's for the purpose of transportation, I can legally strap a rifle across my back - at least under 626.9.

GFSZ seems to say that it must be in a locked rack on a motor vehicle. That isn't reasonably possible for me to do. Do CA LEOs often enforce GFSZ?

I don't have a case large enough to fit the rifle, at least not without attaching a safe to the back of the bike - which isn't possible.

It doesn't have to be a hard case. It can be a soft case with the zippers or zipper locked with a small padlock. (luggage style lock) and your good to go. You can even have the ammo in the same soft case as the rifle.

hornswaggled
04-07-2011, 5:53 PM
We used to have a guy come to some of our matches on a motorcycle with his rifle in a guitar case. I bet if you got a lockable case and transported your unloaded rifle in it, you would be legal even federally.

Tim

Was his name El?

Rekrab
04-07-2011, 5:55 PM
I think the guitar bag is a good option. Alternatively, there are drag bags that have backpack straps. My NCStar drag bag can be worn comfortable as a backpack and cinched down nicely.

sacto929
04-07-2011, 6:23 PM
There was a thread in the Centerfire Rifles forum a while back on this. The soft guitar case is a good option, as is a regular backpack with a cardboard or plastic map tube to cover the portion of the barrel that sticks out of the backpack. Use a lock to secure the zippers together, so that they don't open.

Depending upon how the type of bike and how often and far you wish to travel, you might gin up some sort of hard case mount. I ride a BMW GS and am thinking about making a mount on the back of the bike. I've seen guys carry bicycles on the back, so I know I can come up with a rifle case mount.;)

daveinwoodland
04-07-2011, 6:26 PM
They do sell scabbards that are used on many Quads etc that work well on bikes too, used to have a regular on a GoldWing come in with one. They unattached easily as well for when you don't need it.

gratefuldog
04-07-2011, 6:53 PM
I asked a similar question a while back.... That thread is here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=404905&highlight=rifle+on+motorcycle

Quiet
04-07-2011, 8:24 PM
Do CA LEOs often enforce GFSZ?
CA LEOs do not enforce Federal laws. :Pirate:

tonelar
04-07-2011, 8:34 PM
Its a long gun.
Transport laws are looser for them than handguns. You don't need to lock the case unless its a RAW in Cali.

Get a long gun case and sling it over your shoulder...

otteray
04-07-2011, 8:45 PM
Some years back, there was a great backside photo of a well-regarded Calgunner with a rifle on his back riding a motorscooter on a California freeway. I can't find it, unfortunately.

Scott Connors
04-07-2011, 11:16 PM

If you're hauling an AR carbine, I have one of these on order:

http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/servlet/emdomusa/Detail?no=76

Good camouflage, and the case locks. I

Junkie
04-07-2011, 11:45 PM
M91/30, so it takes a rather large bag to fit it.

otteray, is this the picture?
http://lolinter.net/highwayrifle.jpg

maderashooter
04-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Is the gun scoped if not a 3" PVC tube and a long skank padlock will do

Tweak338
04-08-2011, 1:08 AM
91/30?

Can't you just remove the bolt, toss a cable lock through the action and sling it? I think that would cover the GFSZ part. I would roll like that, but I don't have a motorcycle.

tpuig
04-08-2011, 1:48 AM
Maybe a golf club case?

Quiet
04-08-2011, 3:19 AM
91/30?

Can't you just remove the bolt, toss a cable lock through the action and sling it? I think that would cover the GFSZ part. I would roll like that, but I don't have a motorcycle.

That does not satisfy the Federal GFSZ laws.

It needs to be unloaded and in a locked container or unloaded and in a locked gun rack. [18 USC 922(q)(2)(B)(iii)]

18 USC 922
(q)(2)(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearmó
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
(iii) that isó
(I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;
(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

sao
04-08-2011, 9:44 AM
Not to hijack the thread but it was my understanding that pistols need to be kept unloaded in a locked case while rifles just need to be in a case and unloaded, locked or unlocked didn't matter. This wrong?

iamchrispartida
04-08-2011, 1:10 PM
I'm picking up an m91/30 next week, this thread makes me want to take my motorcycle to do it... Thanks for the info, everyone.

Baconator
04-08-2011, 1:14 PM
Not to hijack the thread but it was my understanding that pistols need to be kept unloaded in a locked case while rifles just need to be in a case and unloaded, locked or unlocked didn't matter. This wrong?

There is a federal law against having unlocked weapons within 1000' of a school, aka Gun Free School Zone. Even though you can have a weapon not capable of being concealed unlocked and unloaded in your vehicle per CA law, you could violate GFSZ.

Southwest Chuck
04-08-2011, 1:36 PM
How about something like this?

http://home.comcast.net/~csiano/rack-bag2.jpg

santacruzpaul
04-08-2011, 6:21 PM
this probably wouldn't work

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x381/santacruzpaul/110.jpg

socalphoto
04-08-2011, 7:07 PM
M91/30, so it takes a rather large bag to fit it.

otteray, is this the picture?
http://lolinter.net/highwayrifle.jpg

NICE! People are probably the nicest driver's in the world around that guy.

otteray
04-08-2011, 7:18 PM
this probably wouldn't work

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x381/santacruzpaul/110.jpg
Nice rig.
Where is your sign that says, "Danger! Keep Back! Python in Box!"

753X0
04-08-2011, 7:42 PM
"a 3" PVC tube and a long skank padlock will do"

Will do WHAT?!

:rofl:

maderashooter
04-08-2011, 7:53 PM
"a 3" PVC tube and a long shank padlock will do"

Will do WHAT?!

:rofl:

Fixed

Glue shut one side with cap line with foam cap. The top drill hole insert locking long shank padlock screw in some sling mounts strap to your back was that not apparent :D