PDA

View Full Version : Newsweek: An Echo of the King Killing

PEBKAC
04-07-2011, 3:01 PM
http://www.newsweek.com/2011/01/17/an-echo-of-the-king-killing.html

I searched, didn't find this posted. Given that I keep eyes on a certain reasonably high ranking employee in LCAV and he posted it (via LCAV) recently, I figured it might be worth passing on.

A surprising number of Arizonans love their gun shows, their firing ranges, their border posses, their libertarian civics classes, their Ayn Rand novels, their Wild West laws allowing them to carry concealed weapons pretty much anywhere they’ve got a hankering to go. Tombstone, with its O.K. Corral, is a national shrine dedicated to the blunt grandeur of the shootout. In Palin-speak, Arizona doesn’t need to reload—it carries a 33-round clip.

The entire article isn't the typical "GUNS ARE BAD WE SHOULD BAN THEM" line but rather little comments implying guns are a big part of the problem without actually directly coming out and saying so much less what to do about it. Also I sense there are some factual inaccuracies with the article itself.

Anyway, if it is a dupe sorry. :o

G60
04-07-2011, 3:09 PM
The context they use the word "their" in in your excerpt tells a lot about how they really feel, and it makes me feel even better that "we" are reaching over boundaries in race, gender, disability, religion, sexuality, age, etc.
Let them fear "us", while we become everybody from all walks of life.

Rossi357
04-07-2011, 3:29 PM
From the article: A surprising number of Arizonans love their gun shows, their firing ranges, their border posses, their libertarian civics classes, their Ayn Rand novels, their Wild West laws allowing them to carry concealed weapons pretty much anywhere they’ve got a hankering to go. Tombstone, with its O.K. Corral, is a national shrine dedicated to the blunt grandeur of the shootout. In Palin-speak, Arizona doesn’t need to reload—it carries a 33-round clip.

I read a article about a researcher who discovered that there were 3 people killed at the OK corral. Total killed that year in Tombstone: three. So much for the Wild Wild West.
The anti's would call that a 300 percent increase.

Wherryj
04-07-2011, 5:20 PM
http://www.newsweek.com/2011/01/17/an-echo-of-the-king-killing.html

I searched, didn't find this posted. Given that I keep eyes on a certain reasonably high ranking employee in LCAV and he posted it (via LCAV) recently, I figured it might be worth passing on.

The entire article isn't the typical "GUNS ARE BAD WE SHOULD BAN THEM" line but rather little comments implying guns are a big part of the problem without actually directly coming out and saying so much less what to do about it. Also I sense there are some factual inaccuracies with the article itself.

Anyway, if it is a dupe sorry. :o

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/adam-winkler/mlk-and-his-guns_b_810132.html

It would seem that even the HufPo wasn't as superficial in their assessment of MLK's absolute abhorrence of firearms.

dfletcher
04-07-2011, 6:01 PM
^^^
You beat me to it - I suppose it's a bit of a simplification to say Martin King was a gun owner and a Republican, but it's at least as accurate as what Time magazine published.

Zimz
04-07-2011, 6:10 PM
The very reason there was a shootout at the OK corral was because the LE were trying to disarm and arrest criminals... not that they didn't have a right to be armed at that time anyway. Honestly its idiotic for people to keep using this as an example of blood in the streets and mayhem.