PDA

View Full Version : Number of Gun Purchase Issues?

Ripon83
04-07-2011, 1:56 PM
Am I going to run into a state law governing the number of purchases I can make in a short period of time? Since February 1 of this year I've bought;

1 - center fire rifle new - DROS
1 - center fire AR receiver new - DROS
1 - PPT pistol - used
1 - center fire pistol new - DROS

If I do another PPT on another pistol right now am I ok? I looked over the laws and there was this thing on one per month but thats on only new hand guns right?

Baconator
04-07-2011, 1:58 PM
I think you are fine. IIRC the rules are 1/30 for new handgun purchases and no more than 6 sales in a year.

BayAreaShooter
04-07-2011, 2:12 PM
Yea your fine. There was a regulation that was being talked about that if you DROS more than one center fire, semi auto rifle at the same time they will red flag you but i'm not sure if that ever passed or if they are doing than now. I'm sure someone will chime in soon enough.

Munk
04-07-2011, 2:32 PM
For some people without FFLs, that would still be small potatoes. So long as the guns are otherwise legal, don't worry about the number purchased.

NotEnufGarage
04-07-2011, 2:48 PM
I think you are fine. IIRC the rules are 1/30 for new handgun purchases and no more than 6 sales in a year.

Can you tell me what PC lists the 6 sales per year? Is that for new handguns only or all? Does that include PPT? If so, I'm gonna be in trouble, since I've bought 7 long guns and 3 handguns since December. 1 long gun and 2 handguns were PPT, all the rest were imported from dealers out of state through an FFL.

cdtx2001
04-07-2011, 2:58 PM
Can you tell me what PC lists the 6 sales per year? Is that for new handguns only or all? Does that include PPT? If so, I'm gonna be in trouble, since I've bought 7 long guns and 3 handguns since December. 1 long gun and 2 handguns were PPT, all the rest were imported from dealers out of state through an FFL.

IIRC, the 6/year rule is for sales, not purchasing.

IGOTDIRT4U
04-07-2011, 2:59 PM

It's not buying, it's you selling that the PC refers to.

taperxz
04-07-2011, 3:03 PM
Yea your fine. There was a regulation that was being talked about that if you DROS more than one center fire, semi auto rifle at the same time they will red flag you but i'm not sure if that ever passed or if they are doing than now. I'm sure someone will chime in soon enough.

How would DOJ know what type of long rifle you are buying?? I don't believe this to be true at all. No registration for long guns means DOJ doesn't know what long gun you are buying or doesn't care.

CHS
04-07-2011, 3:55 PM
How would DOJ know what type of long rifle you are buying?? I don't believe this to be true at all. No registration for long guns means DOJ doesn't know what long gun you are buying or doesn't care.

Correct.

When a "long gun" DROS is submitted to the state, it ONLY has your identifying information included so that the DOJ can run a background check. It has ABSOLUTELY NO INFORMATION WHATSOEVER about the gun purchased. It could be a receiver, a shotgun, a rifle, a "cruiser", whatever. Then after 30 days they are required by law to destroy the information. The only record of that DROS left is the copy that the dealer keeps, and the copy they gave you (if they gave you one).

Baconator
04-07-2011, 4:06 PM
Doesn't the sn and type end up on the batfe form?

CHS
04-07-2011, 4:12 PM
Doesn't the sn and type end up on the batfe form?

That's a totally different form than the DROS, and that information is not submitted electronically anywhere. Also, as I understand it, the DOJ cannot look at that form unless you show it to them.

Ripon83
04-07-2011, 4:42 PM
Thanks everyone; glad to know I can keep looking at the market place :)

Saigon1965
04-07-2011, 5:49 PM
Oh keep on buying - They won't multiply on their own -

Fjold
04-07-2011, 6:22 PM
Oh keep on buying - They won't multiply on their own -

Yes they do. I had an empty space in my safe between a 223 and a 308 and 6 months later I found a 243 there.

Baconator
04-07-2011, 6:23 PM
That's a totally different form than the DROS, and that information is not submitted electronically anywhere. Also, as I understand it, the DOJ cannot look at that form unless you show it to them.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Sent while watching 45David and boberama get it on.

taperxz
04-07-2011, 6:26 PM
Yes they do. I had an empty space in my safe between a 223 and a 308 and 6 months later I found a 243 there.

LOL At least I know i am not the only one with the problem of growing guns in my safe! My wife is convinced that guns grow like mold. It starts out small and begins to spread.

jtmkinsd
04-07-2011, 6:30 PM

Mine had twins... .17 HMR :43:

kemasa
04-07-2011, 6:52 PM
The limit for 1 handgun in 30 days does NOT apply only to new firearms, it applies to ANY handgun which is transferred as dealer sale. A consignment can be transferred as a dealer sale or as a PPT, so it depends on how it was done.

There are other threads on this.

Saigon1965
04-07-2011, 7:49 PM
Bastard child - You didn't have gun condoms on them -

woodey
04-07-2011, 8:06 PM
I bought 19 on 1 DROS :eek: