PDA

View Full Version : Excel Arms X-22R Rifle

morrcarr67
04-07-2011, 2:48 PM
Does anyone have one of these California made rifles? I think they look cool but would like some more feed back on them.

http://www.excelarms.com/images/555_DSC_4692.JPG (http://www.excelarms.com/x22rrifle.html)

Full Clip
04-07-2011, 2:51 PM
Seen them at Costa Mesa show. Seem solid and well-made but I've not shot one.

TheDeej
04-07-2011, 5:17 PM
I like the simple/sleek looks and the fact that it takes 10/22 mags.

ivanimal
04-07-2011, 5:27 PM
I own their 17 HMR rifle and it is solid, accurate and reliable.

http://www.excelarms.com/images/600_p2.jpg

CRTguns
04-07-2011, 5:41 PM

reliable... really? when these first came out, I prepaid 10 of them. Over the course of about a year, all the guns finally arrived, 1 or 2 at a time. I sold them all very quickly...BUT if you look at my records, there are 20 entries for Excel 17 HMR rifles. The reason- EVERY person that bought one returned it for a refund, and I returned them to excel for a refund. They were very eager to refund me $4000... seems I was not the only duped into the flash and appeal of this rifle. The did not work- not even sometimes. Not even a little bit.

jackandblood
04-07-2011, 5:49 PM
nice ivanimal. So it cycles the .17 hmr reliably? They make em in 22 wmr semi as well. if they eject reliably I think alot of ppl. would take interest. I was going to visit their chino facility awhile back but funds got diverted and I forgot about it awhile. The 17 hmr and 22 wmr are called excellerator i believe and the base model has an impressive stainless bull barrel. ivanimal mind taking pics of yours? So far i've only seen the stock photos from original mfg.

jackandblood
04-08-2011, 7:50 AM
oh comeon they're in chino for crisp sakes, someones gotta be able to confirm/deny the reliability of the accelerator pistol or rifle in .22 wmr. oh ya its 7:50am i woke up at 4 for no good reason. :willy_nilly:

uxo2
04-08-2011, 7:59 AM
Loks like a 10/22 action on a modern frame...I LIKE

morrcarr67
04-08-2011, 9:48 AM
Yeah, I'm not really interested in the Accelerator Rifle that chambers the .22Mag or .17HMR.

I like the X-22R. I have several 50 round 10/22 magazines and like the idea of being able to use them in this rifle.

I'm in Ontario. Do you think Excel would let me come done and check them out?

jackandblood
04-08-2011, 7:11 PM
i called them, they said ya, you can drop by their facility and take a look at things. They will probably appreciate the publicity on calguns as they are not well known for some reason. I dont quite get it myself, the lack of discussion, prices are very decent for impressive cnc from quality billet products.

morrcarr67
04-08-2011, 7:26 PM
Sweet looks likes I'm going on a field trip next week.

4NDone0331
04-08-2011, 9:56 PM

nice ivanimal. So it cycles the .17 hmr reliably? They make em in 22 wmr semi as well. if they eject reliably I think alot of ppl. would take interest. I was going to visit their chino facility awhile back but funds got diverted and I forgot about it awhile. The 17 hmr and 22 wmr are called excellerator i believe and the base model has an impressive stainless bull barrel. ivanimal mind taking pics of yours? So far i've only seen the stock photos from original mfg.
I read that Excel was having to recall all their 17HMR rifles because the 17HMR round was not designed for a semi auto rifle. When the round would feed it would damage the neck...or something like that. heres the address from another thread on CG.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=214919
Im sure that you can find more sources if you google it.

as far as the OP goes sorry I dont have any experience with the excel 22lr, but imo it looks pretty similar to a Ruger SR22.

ivanimal
04-09-2011, 9:40 AM
reliable... really? when these first came out, I prepaid 10 of them. Over the course of about a year, all the guns finally arrived, 1 or 2 at a time. I sold them all very quickly...BUT if you look at my records, there are 20 entries for Excel 17 HMR rifles. The reason- EVERY person that bought one returned it for a refund, and I returned them to excel for a refund. They were very eager to refund me $4000... seems I was not the only duped into the flash and appeal of this rifle. The did not work- not even sometimes. Not even a little bit.

I heard the same thing. I waited a year before buying this one and had my gunsmith take it out first. He liked it so much he bought one. His is 22 Magnum. I use mine for medium range squirrel. 60-100 yards. I have yet to have a jam. I put the round count at 300 or less in the last 2 years.

Yer Huckleberry
11-27-2011, 3:53 PM
Ive owned an X-22R Rifle from Excel for quite a while now and taken it with me on many trips to the range. I've never experienced any problems with it or any other guns that I've purchased from Excel Arms(AT-380 & Lady 380 for my wife). I have also visited their facility in Chino, CA and seen the factory where these firearms are made. It seemed to be a state of the art and well maintained facility. It's a family owned company that appeared to be 100% devoted to designing and creating quality guns. I would not hesitate to recommend any of the firearms Excel makes based on my personal experience with this company and their product. Keep in mind also, that it is very important to thoroughly clean this rifle after each use because as you probably already know, .22 rounds are not known for being clean ammunition.

k1dude
11-27-2011, 6:40 PM
I've been searching for online reviews on Excel's for awhile now and there basically aren't any. I have no idea why. They've been in business for awhile, so why are there so few reviews?

I was interested in their .17 HMR, because of the 3 companies that make a .17 HMR semi-auto (Volquartsen, Excel, Alexander Arms), Excel is by far the least expensive. But it seems no one has bothered to write a review for them.