PDA

View Full Version : Midwest PX PMAG Problem

mikehenry
04-07-2011, 1:32 PM
So I just got my Sig 516 and tried to use my Midwest PX 10/20 PMAG's (I got 2 of them) and they will not lock in when they have 10 rounds. When they have 9 rounds they lock in with no problem. I also got a 10/30 Pmag and it works just fine with 10 rounds. Has anyone had this happen before?

Thanks,
Mike

Merc1138
04-07-2011, 1:33 PM
shove it into the mag well harder? I'm assuming you mean when the bolt it closed, shouldn't make a difference when the bolt is open.

killshot44
04-07-2011, 1:36 PM
Lock the bolt back, drop mag, insert mag, release bolt, should be no problem.

Gotta rack a round anyway, why not do half of it before you replace the mag?

mikehenry
04-07-2011, 1:37 PM
I shoved it as hard as possible and it still will not go. The 10/30 slides in just fine and as soon as I only have 9 rounds in the 10/20 it slides in fine as well.

xxINKxx
04-07-2011, 1:37 PM
The block is just a tad too tight. If the bolt is open it will be easier.

djleisure
04-07-2011, 1:38 PM
They should work just fine with the bolt open (like everyone else said.) I'm guessing he just makes his mag with very tight tolerances, so there is no chance getting an 11th round in there. Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of those tolerances with such stringent laws.

mikehenry
04-07-2011, 1:39 PM
They should work just fine with the bolt open (like everyone else said.) I'm guessing he just makes his mag with very tight tolerances, so there is no chance getting an 11th round in there. Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of those tolerances with such stringent laws.

If that is the case then why will the 10/30 fit just fine without the bolt being open?

Merc1138
04-07-2011, 1:39 PM
I shoved it as hard as possible and it still will not go. The 10/30 slides in just fine and as soon as I only have 9 rounds in the 10/20 it slides in fine as well.

Well I don't know what your idea of "shoving" is, but slap that thing into the mag well like it owes you money. If it still doesn't work, then with those mags just remember to lock the bolt back first(which is what you'd normally be doing anyway unless you were changing mags before you ran out).

mikehenry
04-07-2011, 1:41 PM
I almost dislocated my shoulder I shoved it so hard and still no fit.

missiontrails
04-07-2011, 1:42 PM
How difficult is it loading the 10th round? I think the block needs to be shaved 1-2mm.

C_1
04-07-2011, 1:47 PM
I have a couple from Midwest PX. Its made to hold 10rds, and only 10rds, so its tight. Youre going to have to slap it real hard, or lock the bolt back, before inserting a mag. You can also download it with only 9rds. If all else fails, and youre still not happy, Im sure Ty will help ya out.

Cyc Wid It
04-07-2011, 2:39 PM
Maybe try contacting the vendor first? Mine work great and Ty will fix any that aren't working correctly.

THT
04-07-2011, 2:41 PM
I was typing up a reply to your PM but since this thread's here, I'll reply here instead. I don't design my 10rd PMAGs to seat on a closed bolt because there's too great of a chance that an 11th round can be forced in. Some can do it, others can't...it depends on the batch of blocks. What I do design them for is to not hold an 11th round so naturally, the length of the block is on the conservative side and if I were to hazard a guess, more mags don't seat on a closed bolt than those that do. The proper method to make ready with this platform is to lock the bolt back, insert a mag and hit the release. One of the rare times you'd be loading on a closed bolt is a tactical reload. If it bothers you, send it in and I'll shave your blocks down a millimeter or so.

Baconator
04-07-2011, 2:43 PM
Nothing but good experiences for me with everything I've purchased there.

Sent while watching 45David and boberama get it on.

tomd1584
04-07-2011, 2:46 PM
I was typing up a reply to your PM but since this thread's here, I'll reply here instead. I don't design my 10rd PMAGs to seat on a closed bolt because there's too great of a chance that an 11th round can be forced in. Some can do it, others can't...it depends on the batch of blocks. What I do design them for is to not hold an 11th round so naturally, the length of the block is on the conservative side and if I were to hazard a guess, more mags don't seat on a closed bolt than those that do. The proper method to make ready with this platform is to lock the bolt back, insert a mag and hit the release. One of the rare times you'd be loading on a closed bolt is a tactical reload. If it bothers you, send it in and I'll shave your blocks down a millimeter or so.

And there you go folks. :cool2:

762.DEFENSE
04-07-2011, 3:01 PM

I've had nothing but positive experiences with Midwest PX. I think you're really making a big deal out of nothing. I actually appreciate it that they're on the conservative side when it comes to magazine capacity.

Hope your mags work out just fine, and continue to support a great Calgun Sponsor! :thumbsup:

hardluck
04-07-2011, 3:12 PM
I've had nothing but positive experiences with Midwest PX. I think you're really making a big deal out of nothing. I actually appreciate it that they're on the conservative side when it comes to magazine capacity.

Hope your mags work out just fine, and continue to support a great Calgun Sponsor! :thumbsup:

^+1 same here.... could not have said it better myself.:D

Wicked K5
04-07-2011, 3:14 PM

+1,000,000
My curved stubby 10/20's from Ty hold only 10. Like I posted in another recent thread, there's no way to jam an 11th in there without crushing the round, breaking the mag, and/or breaking the floorplate. On my mags, the 10th round goes in fairly snug and there's only about 2mm of travel left.

If it really bothers you, you can easily disassemble the mag and shave the block. That way you're not having to waste your time and money to send em out to Ty. I disassembled mine last week to install some Thordo UBB Tools on my ranger plates and found it to be a lot easier than I thought.

KaLiFORNIA
04-07-2011, 3:31 PM
Why flame Midwest PX, your trying to load it with th bolt closed..... USER ERROR. +1 for Midwest PX

mikehenry
04-07-2011, 3:37 PM
I was not talking bad about Midwest PX, I was just not sure why the 10/30 went right in and the 10/20 did not. It is not that big of a deal. I did not realize it was user error to load a magazine with the bolt closed oh wait it's not.

AlliedArmory
04-07-2011, 4:12 PM
I would say a majority of the converted PMAGs will NOT lock in with the bolt closed no matter where you buy it. With the PMAG being polymer, it can stretch when stuffing rounds in there. This is why we all make them to hold 10 rounds exactly without a doubt that it will hold 11.

shark92651
04-07-2011, 5:31 PM
If that is the case then why will the 10/30 fit just fine without the bolt being open?

Because they are different mags and the tolerances of the blocks may be slightly different. A difference as little as a millimeter can cause your 10 round mag to become an 11 round. Like others have said, just lock the bolt back before you insert the mag.

762.DEFENSE
04-07-2011, 5:54 PM
I'd also like to add, you really should have pm'd him, e-mailed or called before pretty much putting him on blast online. It's hard enough to find companies outside of California who are willing to do business with CA residents, don't piss off the ones who do.

Anytime I've pm'd Ty he's responded really fast and gave me any requested info immediately. Total stand up business man.

Cave
04-07-2011, 6:49 PM
My two mags work flawlessly. They even work with the bolt closed. :thumbsup: to Ty

mikehenry
04-07-2011, 7:58 PM
I'd also like to add, you really should have pm'd him, e-mailed or called before pretty much putting him on blast online. It's hard enough to find companies outside of California who are willing to do business with CA residents, don't piss off the ones who do.

Anytime I've pm'd Ty he's responded really fast and gave me any requested info immediately. Total stand up business man.

Why don't people understand that I was just asking if this was an occurrence that they had? I don't think asking a question about a companies product would piss them off. I was not talking trash about them I was simply asking if anyone had this issue.

Vinz
04-07-2011, 9:51 PM
I did not take your op as blasting. Not sure where they see it but you have your answer and everyone is happy. "waves hand across monitor

mine are tight too and I load to 9 when I wanna practice closed bolt loads.
vince

Veggie
04-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Ty is my preferred vendor. Nothing but praise for his service.

Vanilla Gorilla
04-07-2011, 10:17 PM
The block is just a tad too tight. If the bolt is open it will be easier.

+1.