PDA

View Full Version : How many private individuals/entities legally own fully auto firearms in CA?

Excelsior
04-07-2011, 1:23 PM
How many private individuals/entities legally own fully auto firearms in CA? Does a list exist? Most of us have long heard that it you're not Stembridge or one of the other movie prop houses you won't legally own a fully automatic firearm in CA. Are there others?

Flopper
04-07-2011, 2:02 PM
I don't know if there is a list, but there are private individuals and entities beside Stembridge that own FA firearms.

The problem is that CA DOJ doesn't currently issue Dangerous Weapons Permits (required to get ATF to sign off on NFA weapons) to the little people.

Would be interesting to see if people like Sean Penn have them though. . .

BigBamBoo
04-07-2011, 2:07 PM

ubet
04-07-2011, 3:04 PM
Their was a thread a couple months ago that said their are around 17,000 fa in Ca, and 7500? suppressors here.

QuarterBoreGunner
04-07-2011, 3:34 PM
Privately owned or post '86 dealer samples?
We had a pretty good collection of dealer samples (the usual suspects: MP5K, SD3 and MP40, M16s, Steyr AUG, etc.) but they weren't technically ours. And when the biz closed we sent everything back to the manufacturers.

MontClaire
04-07-2011, 3:37 PM
We had a pretty good collection of dealer samples (the usual suspects: MP5K, SD3 and MP40, M16s, Steyr AUG, etc.) but they weren't technically ours. And when the biz closed we sent everything back to the manufacturers.

This + 1!!!

Andy Taylor
04-07-2011, 3:40 PM

What happens if the manufacturer went belly up in the meantime and no longer exists?

QuarterBoreGunner
04-07-2011, 3:41 PM
There are (or were) three restricted dealers in the SF Bay Area, besides us. And we all had the same sort of inventory; LEO agencies generally stick to the big 3 manufactures: HK, Colt, Steyr. Or at least the did. I imagine the AR market has opened up a bit.

Anyway to the OP, I'm sure the feds have a list.

PS: we were the first restricted dealer to carry the select fire FN P90, which was a blast to shoot but ultimately not a very good seller.

QuarterBoreGunner
04-07-2011, 3:43 PM
What happens if the manufacturer went belly up in the meantime and no longer exists?

They send all the dealer samples back to their respective manufacturers. In my case the owners retired and that magic safe full of sheer awesome went back to where they all came from.

yellowfin
04-07-2011, 5:25 PM
They can also be sold to other dealers.