PDA

View Full Version : Which Bolt Action .22LR?

CrossedRifles
04-07-2011, 10:04 AM
I decided that putting a Leupold on my M6A3 isn't a good idea, or at least that I'd do it later. I've been thinking about getting a Savage MKII TRR-SR. I was just wondering if I could receive feedback from those that own any Savages, and how they shot.

Do you suggest another rifle, or should I go with the Savage?

A question though, what iron sights can I put on the TRR-SR?

I realize the rifle was designed / intended for scopes in mind, and that there are other rifles that Savage have with IS, but the threaded barrel, enlarged bolt, and picatinny rails are a pretty good deal considering the price difference.

I can't imagine having to put a Troy on these, don't know if it'd work.

Any help and opinions are appreciated.

Izzy43
04-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Savage rifles are a good choice as well as Marlins. They both shoot very well with maybe and I say just maybe a little edge to the Savage due to its better trigger. I have a Savage BTVS and a Marlin 925M and I like both. But for superior accuracy and great adjustable trigger my CZ UltraLux outshoots both of them every time.

I guess it depends on what you will use the rifle for, hunting, target shooting, both and what cosmetics your are looking for. Good luck in your choice

Ripon83
04-07-2011, 10:30 AM
There are some threads like this one, and so you might want to do a search. What are you going to do with a 22 LR bolt? Target shoot, plink, hunt, teach, ??? SO may options and some of them matter to what you get and some don't.

You might want to just watch the market place for one. They show up quite often, and some of the really old one's are sweet and affordable. The C&R guns will save you $35 on the PPT and DROS on a new one. For many of these guns that is 10% or more. I love old one's with history, but that is just me.

The new Savages have gotten good reviews, and so have the Wildcat 22's from Winchester which is a nice looking gun. CZ makes nice one's that are a little pricier. I have a 77/22 I was going to sell but in all likelihood am going to keep - its a nice rifle - new they are too much for what you get - I think.

rojocorsa
04-07-2011, 10:47 AM
IMHO, the CZs are where it's at.

Nothing wrong with a good Savage bolt gun, but the 452 seems more sublime. That being said, I believe that the dovetail is proprietary to European guns only. I know it's 11mm, not the customary 3/8" (or whatever it is here).

jinggoyd1967
04-07-2011, 10:52 AM
I have s Savage MkII FV-SR. The chamber was a little tight so I sent it back. It's shoots great since Savage worked on it for free.

The other rifle I considered was the Ruger 77/22, but it costs more.

shinbone
04-07-2011, 10:54 AM
CZ 452 or Savage TR MKII, shot both, both very nicely made and accurate with wolf match.. Ive shot the UltraLux version of the 452, with the 28" barrel.. its very very accurate.

CrossedRifles
04-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Thanks for all the responses! It seems Savage / CZ both have a overwhelming majority of positive experiences. If I should go with the Savage, I'm confused as to whether I can put iron sights on them or not. Or maybe just mount a RDS. :43:

There are some threads like this one, and so you might want to do a search. What are you going to do with a 22 LR bolt? Target shoot, plink, hunt, teach, ??? SO may options and some of them matter to what you get and some don't.

Target shooting and plinking.

hatidua
04-07-2011, 11:26 AM
I used to have quite a few .22 bolt-action rifles, a Savage BTVS among them. I never warmed to the accu-trigger or whatever they call it.

I've had Marlin's, a Savage, several Remington's (504-T was nice), a CZ, and the only one I have left is a modified Sako Quad, with only the .22LR barrel. If you can find a Quad at a decent price, it's very accurate right out of the box, and there are a number of upgrade parts made for it for those that like upgrading their guns. A Quad with a bit of upgrading:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/hatidua/t4quad.jpg

shinbone
04-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Also about ironsights... IMO out of all iron sights, Aperture/diopter sights have to be the most accurate, since youre target shooting. I think a front globe with iris or post will work really well.

These are pretty decent low-cost diopter sights. http://www.championshooters.com/store/product.php?productid=775&cat=328&page=1

and the front, which might also need an adapter: http://www.championshooters.com/store/product.php?productid=282&cat=329&page=1

another option could be Tech Sights..

Kryptyde
04-07-2011, 1:59 PM
CZ are generally considered more accurate and of better quality than equivalent Savage Arms rifles. They shoot very well right out of the box, but some choose to perform a mild trigger alteration to make them even better.

There are quite a few variations of the 452 which you can see on their website cz-usa.com.

If you want a quality bolt-action .22 for less than $500, CZ 452 is the way to go. To move to a better rifle you will need to spend over $1k on an Anschutz.