PDA

View Full Version : Question about DROS period when buying 2 firearms

rogervzv
04-07-2011, 2:34 AM
OK, I wanted to buy firearm A and firearm B. I plunk down the cash on both guns at the same time. So I begin DROS on firearm A, and pick it up ten days later. (Actually 11 days later; gunstore policy.) There is a limit that you can only do one DROS every 30 days. So does the 30 days start running as from when I picked up firearm A? Or did the 30 days start running from when I began DROS on firearm A, which was ten days earlier? If the latter, then I could begin DROS on firearm B ten days earlier than if the time is measured from pickup.

Does anyone actually know the rule about this?

Markus
04-07-2011, 3:41 AM
Not sure.... Are both the firearms handguns? I do believe the 1 in 30 days rule applies only to handguns. Also if you buy as a PPT that doesnt count towards your 1 in 30 days either. I know not much help with your direct question but hopefully helpful nonetheless.

rogervzv
04-07-2011, 4:56 AM
Thank you Markus. Both weapons are handguns and neither is a PPT so the question remains open.

triplestack3
04-07-2011, 8:14 AM
30 days from start of DROS, not 30 days from pickup

Capt_Communist
04-07-2011, 8:33 AM
30 days from start of DROS, not 30 days from pickup

This is correct... I usually had my customers wait an extra day or two just to be safe, but technically it would be 30 24hour periods after the submission time

tenpercentfirearms
04-07-2011, 9:51 AM
Does anyone actually know the rule about this?

Everyone knows the rule about this. :rolleyes:

The problem with your question is you don't state which firearms you are buying. Handguns or long guns. Let's assume you are buying handguns or you wouldn't be asking about this question and the dealer should have known this and explained it to you as well.

When you started DROS on handgun A, your thirty 24 hour periods began. So if you started it yesterday at noon, then your 30 days are over on May 6th at noon. Not a second before.

Do not start another dealer handgun DROS befor your thirty 24 hour periods are over. Your second DROS will be denied even if by a few seconds.

When you go to pick up, the exact date and time of DROS start is on the DROS form, ask to see it so you will know for sure.

If you are talking about long guns, then you got screwed. Both long guns should have been on the same DROS and you should be picking both of them up on your 11th day.

CHS
04-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Day 1: DROS Firearm A
Day 10: Pickup Firearm A
Day 30: DROS Firearm B
Day 40: Pickup Firearm B

rogervzv
04-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Thank you everyone. This is actually good news. So I can start DROS on firearm B 30 (really 31) days after I STARTED DROS on firearm A.

Both firearms are pistols/handguns. I apologize for not clarifying that.

Doing it the way I thought you had to it was 50 days between pickups. I guess not even California is quite that bad.

CHS
04-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Thank you everyone. This is actually good news. So I can start DROS on firearm B 30 (really 31) days after I STARTED DROS on firearm A.

Both firearms are pistols/handguns. I apologize for not clarifying that.

Doing it the way I thought you had to it was 50 days between pickups. I guess not even California is quite that bad.

Neat trick: at the top of the copy of the DROS (for all firearms) there is a little box that says "date/time submitted" or something like that. That is the exact date and time that the DROS system and the FFL are required to use for calculating the 10-day or 30-day periods. I've never shopped at a store that didn't give me a copy/printout of the DROS, but I've heard that there are some out there. So just always make sure you get a copy of that. Then you will ALWAYS know your pickup dates/times.

Just add 24x10 to the date/time for your pickup, and 24x30 for your 30-day delay.

The reason I ALWAYS keep track of this date/time is because I've been to stores that have messed it up, and I've even messed it up on occasion myself before I started keeping track. I've never had a store mess it up on purpose or maliciously, but hey, it's math. People make mistakes.